PDA

View Full Version : Useful to volunteer at Manchester?

parislad
9th Jun 2009, 20:22
Hi, first post, but would appreciate any help here.

I'm 17 and at college and this spring applied for the GAPAN PPL scholarship under the proviso that it's open to people my age and over. I've just got the 1 hour flying experience at the moment.

I made it down to the last 50, and I've thought about how to improve my chances for next year. I live right next to Manchester Airport and am trying to find out if there are any flying schools/academies operating there now, which I could volunteer some time at over the summer to get some experience to credit my application with.

First of all is this worthwhile doing or would I be better served doing something else?
And secondly are there any appropriate places at Manchester?
Or if there's any other advice from anyone, naturally that would be great.

Thanks
Ben

(p.s. Is it true BA are going to be offering cadetships in around 18 months2despite their £200million losses?)

irishpilot1990
9th Jun 2009, 23:52
(p.s. Is it true BA are going to be offering cadetships in around 18 months despite their £200million losses?)

I have no information about this but would be 99.9%sure they will NOT offer anything...hello theres 1000s of trained pilots waiting to start why would they train more.:ugh:

ERETHERE
14th Jun 2009, 22:23
In terms of flight training organisations there are none as far as I am aware. MSF finished last year and JD training moved to Liverpool. The only other business operator is Ocean Sky who look after the majority of business jets. To be honest, being an employee at Manchester Airport myself it doesn't really seem the place for voluntary work. I recommend joining the RAF Air Training Corp and getting some free flying, but you may be a little old to be a cadet. You could always look up your nearest squadron and ask.

Aerouk
14th Jun 2009, 22:49
Yeh hes far too old to join the ATC, cadets usually start 13-15. You would be in it for a couple of months and be forced to become a staff member or be chopped.

I would look at local small airfields and see what they can do for you.

quant
15th Jun 2009, 07:29
(p.s. Is it true BA are going to be offering cadetships in around 18 months2despite their £200million losses?)

why would they do such a thing when they have students willing to pay for and take the risk of training?

Currently they have the ssp scheme but i can see them doing a flybe mpl type thing in the future however with the economic downturn their are shed loads of pilots out of work and if www is to be believed this winter is going to be bloody..

You're 17, finish your A-levels do a degree and hopefully all will be back to normal when you are through (i hope :eek:)

:ok:

steve wilson
15th Jun 2009, 13:11
Have a word with the guys in the Aviation Shop. The society 'TAS' is run by volunteers. They may be able to find a role for you.

Good Luck