PDA

View Full Version : Just want to ask a few of you in the RAF

JJ 91
8th Jun 2009, 23:41
Hi, i hope this is the right forum to ask, if it isn't sorry. :)

For as long as i can remember, i've always wanted to fly aircraft for a living, be it in the RAF or for an airline, most people seem to abandon their dreams or they just become less attractive, but i've been different, this has stuck with me my whole life. Now i'm the age to act upon what i want to do i'm forced to make a decision: to join the RAF in the hopes of becoming a pilot or to try my luck in the airlines.

I was always leaning to towards commercial flying because the prospect of me going to war has my mum up in a tizz and my father is a pacifist, but he knows flying is my dream and he's said he will never stand in the way of the choice i make and just wants what's best. But the other day i was thinking what it would be like flying a large passenger aircraft, looking around me and seeing a fast jet fly past, i felt like i'd never on the subject before, i thought what i could miss by passing the chance to join the RAF while i'm the right age, and what could lay ahead of me.

Since this i've been looking into life in the RAF and i've found two very different things, never seems to be a mid way between what people say.
On the one hand i see people saying joining the services may as well be signing myself up for years of suffering and misery and condemning myself to be nothing when i leave. On the other hand i have people saying it's the best choice they've ever made, that they're living their dreams and doing things no other lifestyle could offer.

I really just want to know what it's REALLY like and what would be my prospects when i come out of the RAF? Could i then go on to become a commercial pilot?

Also i've heard stories of people scrubbing toilets and bike sheds with toothbrushes? Is this kind of stuff true? Don't get me wrong, i'd have no problem getting my hands dirty and doing this once in a while, i mean someone needs to do it and i'd scrub out a zoo with a toothbrush to be able to take control of the military aircraft. But are things like this a daily occurrence?

I really appreciate you reading this as this is going to be such a big part of my life.

L J R
9th Jun 2009, 02:17
Sir,

Your thoughts sum it up already. Clearly you are not motivated to become a military pilot....Full Stop

roony
9th Jun 2009, 07:14
Mate, speaking as ground crew - when you address the pilot as Sir and help him to strap into the jet knowing that a bunch of guys have spent most of the previous night getting the aircraft serviceable for him it's usually done with a great deal of respect.

This is achieved because all military personnel are of a specific type, particularly officers, particularly pilots, and particularly fast jet pilots.

If I were you I'd revisit those dreams and get a bit more realistic. Sorry.

not_so_sis
9th Jun 2009, 08:07
The best thing you can do is go to your local AFCO centre and get some information, ask some questions, do alot of research and then ask yourself if you still believe you are the right person for your chosen career. A love of flying is simply not enough, you need real determination, that will mean personal sacrifices. However the steps towards a career in the RAF as a pilot are big and knowing if it is right for you or not will never come straight away. If you are going to persue it, you will have to have no doubts.

Good luck with that!

foldingwings
9th Jun 2009, 08:18
Having flown Buccaneers and Tornados for 20 years of my career, I can tell you that it certainly beats civvie transport flying into a cocked-hat. However, once in the RAF, there is no guarantee that you will end up on FJ but Helo and RAF Multi engine can be just as exhilerating and equally as tasking; certainly moreso than uploading 140 buckets & spades and heading off to Majorca! You can study for licences to gain an airline job before you leave the RAF and thereby cover both your dreams in your life.

HOWEVER, having worked within the officer training and flying training environments, here's a bit of fatherly advice:

1. You need to be committed to the RAF and understand why you wish to be an RAF pilot before you apply. A dream is not enough!

2. You need to have the aptitude not just the dream.

3. At 18, you need to be mature enough to meet the challenge of the training programme.

4. Competition for pilot positions is fierce so you could be disappointed.

5. Do a bit more research.

6. Become politically aware with regard to the political/military position of the UK and the rest of the world.

7. Go to university to allow yourself both to mature and have a fall-back position should you not make the grade in either the civilian or military world.

8. Ask this question again in 3 years time after you've been to university and completed your research.

Good luck.:ok:

Foldie

Amended to include: If you don't fancy the Air Cadets, as suggested by PAPI-74 below, then join the UAS at university.

Mister-T
9th Jun 2009, 09:15
JJ, foldingwings has some sound advice.

To be blunt the vast majority of Service Aircrew have harnessed the ambition to be servicemen/women since as long as they can remember. They will approach interviews with a good working knowledge of the service they are keen to join and most probably have spent a great deal of their teenage life in a Cadet unit.

Those people will be you're competition and in my view deserve a better go than somebody approaching it late in life (assuming similar aptitude).

I do wish you all the best with whichever option you persue but feel the writing is already on the wall as my little brother did exactly the same and was dismissed during selection at Cranwell for having next to no working knowledge of the RAF.

PAPI-74
9th Jun 2009, 09:31
Join the Air Cadets as a CI then become an Officer for a few years. If you can, get onto the VGS and become a glider pilot / instructor. Work very hard in this time, go on camps etc.. then join the RAF. At least you will have an idea then about the RAF set up and history and shown that you are committed.
The Air Cadet Organisation Web Site (http://www.aircadets.org/)
But as has been mentioned, it flying at that level - or indeed at an airline level will be the hardest thing that you will ever do. Prepare for that, which is where the ATC will help as you could teach a few subjects, allowing you to 'man up a bit' for the real thing.

mugwuffin
9th Jun 2009, 10:32
JJ there's some great advice from FW on this topic as mentioned. please do not let the detractors put you off trying. you won't forgive yourself if you don't, but be as well prepared as you can. the age thing is not an issue, I have a very good mate who went to an afco at 21 with no military background at all and now he's a qualified RAF pilot. no matter what people tell you it's only a combination of a good deal of prep, timing and luck and you'll find yourself with the best job in the world.

ShyTorque
9th Jun 2009, 13:15
One of my ex-colleagues from a few years ago was a bored bank clerk. He saw an advert in a newspaper and decided he needed a change of career, although he had no previous knowledge of the military.

He obviously had some pilot aptitude because he later became one of the RAF's Tornado display pilots.

XV490
9th Jun 2009, 15:54
JJ91

If there's any doubt whatsoever in your mind, then methinks the RAF's not for you.

You'd be up against rivals for selection for whom no other job in the world would ever do. The Service is used to that kind of single-mindedness among applicants.

6foottanker
9th Jun 2009, 19:15
What have you got to lose if you do apply for the military? - but you will need to do lots of preparation before you do though. Perhaps going to Uni, joining the UAS as suggested is a better idea, because it gives you some time to really look into both careers.
Having been a mil pilot for 9 years, I think I could not have lived with myself as a civvy pilot if I had not at least given myself a crack at mil flying.
But bear in mind that the RAF has a strict age limit where you have to be in training by your 24th birthday, and it takes a minimum of 6 months to go through the selection process.

JJ 91
10th Jun 2009, 01:20
Hey guys thanks for your advice. Really appreciate it. :)

ryanp1992
16th Jul 2009, 17:35
have you ever considerd wsop (weapon systems operator)

Please do this conversation via PM or the Wannabees thread at the top of the forum.