PDA

View Full Version : is the imc rating safe

pa28r driver
8th Jun 2009, 19:26
im wondering if anybody else like me is wondering about the future of our imc rating.
i heard of rumblings a while back about brussels calling for it to be scrapped however since then it appears to have gone quiet on both the pro and against fronts.
im only interested because i have put my imc on hold for the summer but am wondering if it will be worthwhile to complete it for it to ruled a non rating in the future.
anybody know anymore on this
safe landings
pete

IO540
8th Jun 2009, 19:29
Nobody knows what will happen.

EASA wishes to standardise this stuff across Europe, which on the face of it means the demise of the IMCR.

However, a couple of IFR "products" are being worked on in committee, with one of them showing promise that it might deliver something which the IMCR might be grandfathered into. The other one is a full ICAO IR but with a reduced ground school and a reduced dual training hours requirement (a bit like the FAA one).

If I were you I would get the IMCR done, enjoy the privileges, and you will always have the skills no matter what happens. Flight in cloud will never be capable of being monitored ;)