PDA

View Full Version : Lost virginity: Virgin Nigeria to rename the brand

GlobalFlyer
8th Jun 2009, 05:51
It's official, reported on REUTERS:

Virgin brand to go from Nigeria airline -source - Forbes.com (http://news.google.co.uk/news/url?sa=t&ct2=uk%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNGO1K3ZF1Y4mZlYl6BMkLZJLO-MiA&cid=1256643209&ei=L6YsSsjiAYTWjAfGm-_sAg&rt=SEARCH&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fafxnewslimited%2Ffeeds%2Fa fx%2F2009%2F06%2F07%2Fafx6513427.html)

Hopefully a successful new page is about to be turned in the airline's short history. I presume the new E-jets (2 of them) awaiting delivery in Brazil will sport the airline's new corporate branding?

LongJohnThomas
8th Jun 2009, 10:53
That carrier lost its Virginity a long time ago folks.
Unfortunately, i don't think this should be classed as news!!
I only hope my brother Dapo can make the magic happen this time.
He needs to start by running the crazy 'bald-heads' out of 'town'!!!!
He has shot the sheriff already, 3 more plunkers to go!!!
They know themselves!!!
Its funny how old women get uncomfortable when missing teeth are mentioned!!!!

flying paddy
8th Jun 2009, 11:58
Rest In Peace, Virgin Nigeria

jlahan
8th Jun 2009, 12:07
u speak with bitterness.vk is not the first airline to sail through storm.it is true they have problem.but the new management team is trying to reposition the airline by injecting 2 new jets into its operation.let us give them kudos rather than lagging on who to go or stay

zackj
8th Jun 2009, 12:49
well there have been all those rumors about using suspicious business tactics, even cases of corruption in the first place, and the "crisis" afterwards, change of management , no wonder ?

Rani
8th Jun 2009, 13:28
I wish the new management best of luck in turning around the company and continuing to contribute to the industry. No doubt VK resurrected the Nigerian airline industry! From this point onward I really don't see how they can possibly sink further, given the badly dammaged brand and challenging financial situation facing the airline.

Anybody in the know about the new brand name? I hope it's not "Eagle", that is too generic. I've emailed the management some suggestions and they actually replied, telling me the names have been forwarded to the Marketing Department!

5N Pilot
8th Jun 2009, 14:03
@ LJT,well said.Recall that in another thread about vk I mentioned '' three to go"!
It is only a matter of time and the "three plunkers" (as u rightly described") will be in the annals of bad books of history.Yes they very well know themselves and that is why they have been cowardly stoning us behind our back thinking we do not know.But the stones being thrown at us will boomerang and very soon,those glass cubicles they sit in will be shattered by the stones.Truth will always prevail.
Very soon.
With the arrival of the new jets, despite unpaid salaries, and a new management,we pray vk gets it right this time.

NDB17
8th Jun 2009, 15:15
They never pay?

Maybe Flyingpaddy will come back after the departure of said individuals.:ok:

flying paddy
8th Jun 2009, 16:31
Oh let me see now what are the words I am looking for, oh yes.

"IT WOULD BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE I GO BACK THERE"

That said I would not shed a tear if certain folks on the 9th floor where to see there @rse's kicked out in the street.

:ok:

flareout BC
8th Jun 2009, 23:20
...now, that by itself is evidence of improvement...

flareout BC
8th Jun 2009, 23:46
...at 25m Dollars, which some say was raised locally, the guy got a large slice of the Nigerian air pie for a song, brought in senior 737's, condoned that bloated staff ranks, was a sluggard at matching Arik's investments, and wants to hightail it beacuse the lucre he spied is slow in coming? Let someone shove him out the cockpit window...:mad:

unstable load
9th Jun 2009, 01:22
flareout BC,

How do the rest of the Virgin operations compare to VK? I refer to the
senior 737's, bloated staff ranks, sluggard at matching XXX investments,
Branson did not get to where he is by being less than astute, so is it possible that his departure is fuelled by a justified desire for less of that filthy lucre to leave Naija and stay inhouse instead?

flareout BC
9th Jun 2009, 13:25
We need do lots of work, too; too much chop-chop in bureaucracy, occuring with enough innovation and ruthlesness to repulse even the most hardened government contractor, militrician {may they remain out of favour for-ever}, and bucanner with sights on the Nigerian pie. If we understood the tenets of nation building, some things Branson and the airline did would be done in saner mold from the onset.
Which again, makes it easy to admit the possibility is there that some of our people could just have "bad-belle'd" Branson out of town.
But beyond being an incurable optimist, some signs underline better days ahead. Why, our Magnificent Men of Flying Machines are negotiating better terms of service than even seven, ten years back. And the collapse of certain airlines indicates a maturing industry, and by extension, benefits for the wallet of the average traveller as newcomers learn to avoid the mistakes of the demised carriers.

LongJohnThomas
10th Jun 2009, 07:39
flareout BC,
Spoken like a man in possession of great wisdom!!!

Arik
18th Jun 2009, 08:21
Not sure when the name change takes place; but there was a 737 Virgin Nigeria plane parked in the Perpignan (FRANCE) hangar yesterday - a paintjob perphaps?

Arik

GlobalFlyer
18th Jun 2009, 09:07
Was this an Embraer 190 or Boeing 737 aircraft?

I doubt a repaint job unless VK plans to finalize the new brand and arrange a repaint BEFORE July 7 (deadline for the airline to lose its virginity :D)

Rani
18th Jun 2009, 09:37
The 737 at Perpignan is in storage, so wouldn't put high hopes about a repaint job there! This is unless VK wants to bring it back into ops, and in that case sure it could get a new livery I guess.

NIJASEA
18th Jun 2009, 17:40
I have to give the Bearded one a hearty round of applause, he came he saw and he F@C@#D Nigeria. The operation from the onset was a big joke in terms of money management, it is a good thing he is pulling out. I feel we are looking at the end of an era :{ and the start of another (Arik) :D in Nigerian Aviation. I wish them all well but only the strong ever survive. Dapo needs to see how things are done at Blue tail and use the good parts but not the maint culture, less chiefs more indians.

jlahan
22nd Jun 2009, 11:01
house any new development about 2 embraer vk ordrered?:rolleyes:

GlobalFlyer
22nd Jun 2009, 13:40
I believe VK management has left to Sao Jose (Brazil) to be part of the delivery ceremony involving the airline's 2nd E-190, registered 5N-VNI.

The plan is to take 2 E-170s in July and September 2009, respectively, bringing the Embraer fleet to 4 by September 2009. It' rumored the subsequent delivery will be September 2010. Note VK's confirmed E-jet order stands at 3 E-190s and 7 E-175s with the same number placed as options (10+10).

surely not
23rd Jun 2009, 10:53
Actually NIJASEA I think the correct phrase is 'he came, he saw, and he was royally F@C&ED by Nigeria'

As some will remember for a little while I was a part of VK in its early days. It didn't help that the London route which was due to start after 6 months of operations suddenly beacame a 'start this route now or don't start'. With little option the route was hastily started and to no ones real surprise it struggled without the proper pre launch marketing.

There are many other politically instigated blocks and changes that have happened since then, seemingly designed to hamper VK's growth. This thread details many of them. Aviation ministers with no knowledge of aviation deliberately hampering VK. So it can be little surprise that seeing his hand of friendship and development being chewed up, Branson has decided enough is enough.

There are many good Nigerians working in VK since the start, and a few who thought they were better than they were. I wish all of them well and I hope they survive and grow to be the airline Nigerians can be proud of.

I was lucky to see many different regions of Nigeria, and I have made friendships that will last for life, but when I see the gloating of some on here about the struggles of VK I feel saddened at their small mindedness.

Rise above the bitterness guys and aim for a strong, reliable and safe airline industry in your country.

InSoMnIaC
23rd Jun 2009, 22:05
I wouldn't mind being on the receiving end of a royal :mad: as long I can walk away with the same amount of money that Banson walked away with

Klogic
26th Jun 2009, 10:30
What i dont understand is why the shift of policy on the Govt's part.The FG contributed to VKs woes..I believe this is too late

The Federal government yesterday intervened in the protracted investment crisis rocking the Virgin Nigeria Airways Group by offering to broker an amicable resolution of the disagreement between its management and the British partner, Virgin Atlantic.
The government, while urging the two parties to move quickly to end their rift, warned that the dissolution of the partnership deal might have serious implications on the business operations of Virgin Atlantic in Nigeria.
Minister of Aviation, Mr. Babatunde Omotoba, who explained government’s action at a meeting in Abuja with the World Bank Task Team on the implementation of the West and Central Africa Air Transport Safety and Security Programme (WCAATSSP), said government’s position is that no Nigerian airline must be allowed to go down because of the adverse implication it will have on the economy.
“I can confirm to you that federal government has a position on the issues between Virgin Nigeria and Virgin Atlantic. Last week when I was in London, I had a very long meeting with Virgin Atlantic and even before then, I also had a meeting with Virgin Nigeria here in Abuja. I can tell you that government’s position is that it must not allow any airline to go under.
“We have told Virgin Atlantic that the concessions given to it in Nigeria was because they were coming to partner to form Virgin Nigeria and therefore anything that happens between the two of them will have serious implications for Virgin Atlantic,” Omotoba said.
The Minister said there was every reason to believe that the matter would soon be resolved and that the company would forge ahead with business.
“We have directed them to resolve the issues among themselves and very sure that at the very high level they are resolving the issues and very soon this will be made public. Government does not really want the airline to go down and also do not want Nigerian investors to loose their money and that is the position we have taken.
“We would however put our hands in any commercial agreement between the two parties. We are just looking at the impact it would have on Nigerian economy if we allow an airline to go down and its employees laid off,” the minister further expl-ained.
The investment romance between Virgin Nigeria and Virgin Atlantic of United Kingdom, owned by the British businessman, Mr. Richard Branson, recently ran into a hitch when the latter decided to pull-out its $25m investment representing the 49 per cent equity in the Nigerian company.
Omotoba said the decision to wade into the issue between Virgin Nigeria and VAL was due to the achievements the Nigerian company has recorded since it began operations, especially the confidence it generated among air passengers.
“We also believe that Virgin Nigeria is a very good airline with a lot of certifications similar to every other international airline all over the world. Many investors when they come to Nigeria want to look for Virgin Nigeria to fly and we do not want it to fail or go out of existence. We have directed them to resolve their differences and I can assure you that they are working very closely to resolve the issues between the two of them,” he said.

THISDAY ONLINE / Nigeria news / African views on global news (http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=147118)

jagunmolu
26th Jun 2009, 17:09
We saw this a long Time ago,The Real Mcoys will soon be unmasked wetin concern FG with Private company business?,How come FG is so quickly interested in VIRGIN?what happened to DUNLOP?MICHELIN?TEXTILES? and all the other Companies Going under Becos of FG ?I beg Dog na Dog Monkey na Monkey, money na money,Wind go soon Blow and We shall See clearly All The Deceit.Branson Should name dem,All the bad people Dem,Or We go Help am,I beg Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish.Eishhhhhhhhh:eek::eek::mad:

jlahan
29th Jun 2009, 13:18
according to vk new MD."vk to take delivery of 2 new ERJ jets in june.we have less than 48hrs to july and i don't want to doubt him.:=:=

Rani
8th Jul 2009, 06:40
July 7 deadline for rebranding has passed.

What in the naija world is going on? Is 5N-VNI in Nigeria?

5N AREABOY
8th Jul 2009, 19:09
Rani,from what my disturbed friends in VK told me,VNI should arrive Lagos any moment from now "UBA permiting":bored:

jlahan
9th Jul 2009, 10:25
rebranding deadline passed,may the magic of aviation minister is working between vk & vs management:D

Klogic
15th Jul 2009, 20:07
5N-VNI arrived Lagos this evening at 1951 Local time.:D

Mr. Smith
16th Jul 2009, 01:27
As someone mentioned, the minister probably got involved to protect special interests investments. Did they not see this coming when VK was continuously intimidated & bullied? All the better.

jlahan
16th Jul 2009, 14:49
flying paddy,what is your comment on this latest news?

atedo
16th Jul 2009, 20:28
VK brought standard to the industry in Naija and should remain no matter the nomenclature. If VK goes, I fera we go back to those odd days in our aviation history....they have been the yardstick since 2005.

jagunmolu
16th Jul 2009, 20:45
@Atedo,if I read you right about standards?IF not for mismanagement what Airline in Naija today can boast of the Standards of WT?please dont go there,I think you are suffering from Colomentality which only sees White As GOOD AND black bad.Please dont venture in uncharted waters If you have nothing to say.STANDARDS indeed:ouch::mad:

atedo
16th Jul 2009, 21:32
Jag You cannot take away what value VK added to this industry. Yes WT did a lot to build the industry in Naija. It is not a white or black thing. I am a firm supporter of the whites leaving VK, they are also part of VK probs due over 'enjoyment'.

Where airlines observing work and rest for flight deck before now? What was our civil aviation oversight like? There have been a lot improvement in the industry since the coming of VK, take it or leave it.

I still remember when ground staff lift fuel (PMS) in cans from city to city when there is scarcity. This is loaded in the hold. My brother it was terrible. Some airlines have 05 pax in the cockpit in the cockpit when you have full load. Jag make enquiries.....:=

flying paddy
17th Jul 2009, 23:58
Chaps

Wise up VK is a small airline in a cr@ppy African country. Nothing here in Africa is forever, too many folks on the take to make anything in Nigeria permanent.

I don’t give a dam about VK any more as long as my mates don’t get shafted by the :mad: eft in charge in that cr@p hole. Time for everyone to move on, Lagos is just a distant nightmare now.

When the market turns (and it will) those left behind in Lagos will rue the fact that that is the best they could do. There is far far more to flying in Africa than Lagos-Nigeria, so guys look a bit further afield.

Cheers
FP

18left
18th Jul 2009, 09:27
FP

BAD-BELLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you may wish to ask for local interpretation!!

baba70
19th Jul 2009, 02:49
i concour flying whatever you call yourself, you are holding on to some real bad-belle...... grow up and move on. NIgeria is not for everyone as any other place in the world.:=

AVSEC
19th Jul 2009, 20:35
Is There Any Truth To The Rumour,that Vk Salary Payments Are Not Being Made,as And When Due,and In Some Cases Are A Month Or Months Late?heard This From A Mate,and I Just Want To Clarify From This Forum Pls,no Harm Intended.

18left
20th Jul 2009, 06:04
AVSEC yup it does appear they pay late,but not months, 1-3weeks late,depending on hierachy,jnr staff get paid almost on time,those with the big bucks often as long as three weeks late.
tough times for everyone i guess,but disgraceful for VK.:(!
just had a job offer ,only to find out that the company was owing three months salary:ugh:.seems aero/arik are the only ones getting paid on time.:ok:

atedo
21st Jul 2009, 18:21
many businesses are paying late now. But what do you prefer, delayed payment or non payment?

VK have been consistent in delayed payment in the last 6 months, paying staff between 10 and 15 of the next month. from my little knowledge of statistics, if your payment falls between this period every other month, is it not same 30 days?:confused: