PDA

View Full Version : To Airline Pilots.....

Kiev23
7th Jun 2009, 19:30
Not sure if this is in the right section really. But here goes anyway.....

Ever thought you would never make it as an airline pilot ??

How did you react to negative comments, along the lines of you`ll never make it or you dont have what it takes to become one ??

Thanx in advance..

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Jun 2009, 20:13
Going back to my school days and not really performing, as a teenager, I never thought I had the aptitude to be a pilot from my GCSE results, as much as I wanted to be one. This was based on the information I was fed from teachers at achool who know nothing about the profession.

I also remember being laughed at by a member of staff doing a PPL ground school refresher, when I told them I wanted to go onto a ATPL ground school course, while going through a tough time in my life, which didn't fill me with confidence.

But after all of the above, and thinking fingers to a lot of people, who had no compassion, I now sit very happy in the sharp end of a large passenger jet, very much enjoying my life and my job.

So, to answer the first part of your question the answer is yes :). Don't let any tosser tell you cannot do it, when in your heart you know you can.

wobble2plank
7th Jun 2009, 20:25
Kiev23,

I've had a glance over your past posts and I can see that you are looking into the flying career.

Where to start? Well, to be honest, the best starting point is that no-one, and I repeat, no-one, can answer that question for you but yourself. I don't mean that as a put down or a dig but purely that, on this forum at least, you will get a vast amount of opinions that reflect the posters personality but not yours.

All trainees are different. When you instruct the best, wisest and healthiest attitude to take is that the next person in the seat next to you is a new experience. How YOU, not the guy you are talking to but YOU, react to stress, pressure and constraints be they time or cash will reveal more about you than any amount of group therapy could ever do. You will react however you react. Many people collapse under pressure, many thrive. Many take the 'I must learn, verbatim, every single line in this manual' approach only to be blown out of the water when something doesn't go to plan. Many also take the 'I know the lot so don't try to teach ME!' approach. They tend to get bitten quite quickly when the scenario develops quickly beyond their fledgling understanding and the instructor sits back and lets them handle it.

Until you put, or even don't put, yourself into the position where you have invested a large amount of time, effort and hope in order to achieve a far flung aim you will never know how success or failure will be.

Also never limit yourself to being an 'Airline Pilot', to be honest after years of 'alternative' professional flying I use Airline piloting as a casual backstop to pay the bills now I need a quieter life. It also suits that role perfectly.

One thing is certain though. Never let anyone who has no idea what they are talking about persuade you from trying. As, to be honest, to have tried and failed is always, always, always better than to have never had a go.

Kiev23
8th Jun 2009, 09:56
Thanx guys two very good posts, and more are welcome :). Yep i definately agree with the last of that post. Well just to let you know where iam at. Gained a class one medical august last year, and then thought i wouldnt apply to uni but rather get a job at the end of my A levels to fund my flying. I will start my ppl when i finish my exams, and then work fulltime. Iam not sure how many years yet, but will look to train when there is at least some hope of a newly qualified pilot of gaining a job. I hope that maybe when i gain my ppl i wil gain a little more respect off people when i say i want to be a pilot, and its not even down to the fact that i dont perform well at school either, i dont do amazing like not a strait A student, but iam predicted A B C in my three A levels so thats not too bad. When i work hard, and want something i can achieve, its just sometimes i get very bored with school, and thats part of the reason why i dont wanna stay in education, and the obvious debt i will be in when leaving uni.

potkettleblack
8th Jun 2009, 18:34
How did you react to negative comments, along the lines of you`ll never make it or you dont have what it takes to become one ??

Funnily enough the CAA examiner doing my IR test made some flippant comment along the lines of how I wasn't geared up for an airline job and the chances of me making it were slim. Its difficult to argue with a guy that hasn't yet told you if you have passed or not so I remained calm at that point:)

About 2 months after that I was strapped into the RHS of an A320 as my first job with 250 hours or so. Now a couple of thousand hours later and holding an ATPL I look back at just what a tosser he was. Having never flown for an airline himself (he was an ex CFI and had a small amount of time on King Airs) it was a bit rich that Mr CAA thought he knew the inner workings of the airline business.

Its an unfortunate fact of life that the majority of people you will come across during your training will have little clue of what the airlines are about but will have no trouble espousing at great length their "fountain" of knowledge about all things airlines! Beware when their stories start my mate told me...................

Good luck with the training.

Kiev23
8th Jun 2009, 20:46
Another good post, i cannot believe that the examiner said that to you. You must have naturally feet great not only disproving him, but of course achieving the dream.

The thing is, thats its not people who iam training with, thinking i wont make it just some comments by some people. It just gets me down a little, and then i sometimes think can i really make it ??

More posts are welcomed, would love to here all your stories !!

andyfielding
11th Jun 2009, 00:10
where abouts in preston u from mate?

i can give you some good advice on starting

Kiev23
11th Jun 2009, 10:54
Hey I live in fulwood, near Garstang road if u know where that is ?? If you give me your address then i can easily drive to your place, some advise would be awesome.

wayupthere
30th Jun 2009, 16:12
I did terrible in school, a little better in college, ok at my flight training and had 3 instructors tell me I'd never make it,

I am now a happy 737 driver :}

Never listen to people who don't know you!

GearDownFlaps
30th Jun 2009, 16:22
Potkettle initials werent AW were they????