PDA

View Full Version : Classair At Biggin Hill

tomtom_91
7th Jun 2009, 12:03
I have done a few searches but can only find old posts sorry if this has been discussed recently...

Does anyone have any expernice at this school I visited it on Saturday and met Iris - She seems very nice and the type of person that I would respond to in terms of learning...

Is being charged by the tacho hour a bad thing at Biggin Hill - How long can people be at the holding point for sometimes?

Tom

airgirl
7th Jun 2009, 21:47
Tom,

How long you can be at the hold at Biggin can be quite varied. Most of the time you will get off quite quickly but then there will always be times when you have to hold for quite a while, either for jet traffic or just because general volume of movements. To be honest though, I would not worry too much about the implications of that on the overall cost of your licence as it will not amount to very much. Personally, I would choose your club according to where you felt comfortable and the people you got on with. I am from Surrey and Kent so we would have met if you visited there on Saturday. I cannot comment on Classair as I have never flown there.

Whereever you end up doing your training, good luck with it and enjoy :ok:

Rodent1982
8th Jun 2009, 08:13
Hi TomTom

I've replied to the PM you sent recently, but for the benefit of anyone else out there...

I'm been training at Classair for over a year now (with a large break between summer and spring). It's a great place, nice friendly people. Small enough to recognise the majority of the other students and PPLs.

Their fleet consists of a Tomahawk PA-38, a Cessna 172, and a Robin 3000. The PA-38 and 172 are primarily for student training, but can be booked out by PPLs. The Robin is for the most part just for PPL holders I beleive.

My instructor Iris really does boost my confidence and generally lets me get on with the flying, landings, etc. With a few pointers here and there to help me along. The other instructors are Lars, and David, both I've met and both seem very decent friendly people, as instructors they are made of the right stuff.

Biggin Hill in general. There are occasions you will be sat at the hold for 20 minutes cursing ATC off the radio saying "I so could have got off the ground in the time", "Whaaaat! They are on a 4 mile final! Why am I holding!". etc, but I've always found ATC to be very accomodating, professional, friendly and helpful. All requests, clearances etc are given in a relaxed, but professional manner, which helps you relax too.

There is a good mixture of traffic. Sometimes having to orbit or make a tight join to short final, and the odd go around. All experience tho.

Don't be put off by things like holding or orbiting go arounds etc. Yes it may end up costing a little more, but at the end of the day you are buying experience which is a fantastic thing to have when you do finally complete.

Happy flying & safe landings.

Rodent.