PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for any REX Drivers

goin'flyin
6th Jun 2009, 10:21
I was on a REX SAAB last week from Moruya to Sydney.
We boarded the aircraft about 20 minutes late (no big deal).

The door was closed, then we sat there for 8 minutes before the first engine was started. What could possibly takes so long to get the engines running? I was watching the clock because if it took me that long with the door shut to get started, the owners would be in my ear screaming at me wondering what was taking so long.

My other question is - does REX have a dispensation for turn contrary to circuit direction on departure RWY18 at Moruya? Or was this simply an attempt to make up some of the time wasted on the ground getting the engines started?

It was very interesting sitting there as a PAX observing.

Xcel
6th Jun 2009, 10:41
could of been anything...

turn contrary to circuit? saab climbs pretty well u sure they werent already out of the circuit - doesnt take long...

goin'flyin
6th Jun 2009, 10:57
Yes positive it was not outside of the circuit.

SAAB - climb pretty well.....you really can't use those two in the same sentence :}

Arnold E
6th Jun 2009, 11:31
Well they do climb better that a Piper Tomahawk:E:E

KRUSTY 34
6th Jun 2009, 11:48
8 minutes from door closed to 1st engine start is certainly unusual, but as Xcel said, it could have been anything? Battery starts are required at Moruya (no GPU) and this will cause a delay between starts for initialisation of AHRS, FMS, and crew briefs. Can take up to 3 minutes depending on the circumstances. The commencement of the 1st start however usually takes no longer with a battery start than with a GPU. Any longer than 30 seconds, I would assume some form of trouble shooting or communication with ground re: any number of issues?

The departure off 18 has me intriged. Which way did they turn? Was it day or night? VMC or IMC?

FGD135
6th Jun 2009, 12:36
does REX have a dispensation for turn contrary to circuit direction on departure RWY18 at Moruya?
No dispensation required. Any aircraft may make such a turn.

BrazDriver
7th Jun 2009, 03:09
The crew started when they were ready to start. Comes from the book of common sense. Big deal

Tempo
7th Jun 2009, 07:34
BrazDriver........could not have said it any better!!

Reminds me of the time the CSM came to the flight deck and told us that a business class passenger ordered her to close the f*$ken door and get going. I am sure the passenger thought we were just sitting up the front having afternoon tea discussing world politics. The reality was we were going through a truck load of complex MELs before departure. Every aircraft is the same, you go when every box is ticked and not a second before. If that takes 8 minutes after doors are closed so be it.

goin'flyin
7th Jun 2009, 21:11
KRUSTY - Departed RWY 18 with a right turn, at night, light rain at the field, reasonably high cloud base to the east (approx 3000') with heavy rain and low cloud, (not horribly low - approx 1000') less than 1nm to the west of the field.

Just had me intrigued as to why you would turn to the west, towards the worse weather and the higher terrain.

As for the engine start, i really couldn't give a cr@p about how long it takes to get them started, it was the end of my day and i could sit down the back and relax and not have to think about anymore work that day. I was just interested to know whether that was normal for the SAAB having never flown on one before.

GNR
8th Jun 2009, 01:47
to be honest....who really give a crap about either of those questions....

PyroTek
8th Jun 2009, 02:59
It's probably not just REX,
I remember about a year ago on a BA flight, LHR-Milan we waited at the gate to leave for 45 minutes because there wasn't an available driver and tug...
It got pretty hot in the aircraft though. They kept us up to date about what was happening though.

Dixondik
8th Jun 2009, 03:14
I'm with GNR. To be honest goin'flying sounds like you havn't sat up front to see how airline pilots do things. It isn't a C172 let alone Baron.

Really amazes me how you know exactly how high, far you were in the SAAB. Surprised you didn't know the Tq setting, speed and climb gradient.

8 mins to first start is odd. Did MYA KT hand any paperwork up to the crew prior to start, maybe they were waiting for a freight manifest or updated manifest due LMCs. Were they training one of these new cadets. Everything takes 2 or 3 times longer when training is going on (my exp).

LM82
8th Jun 2009, 03:21
Dont rex use company departure procedures when departing night/imc/oei? if so that may explain it as the charts are designed for obstacle clearance and require turns at certain dist/alt's. Are you sure it wasnt rwy 36 as a right turn to the east would be easier to explain rather than runway 18?

Capt Fathom
8th Jun 2009, 03:39
Track from MRY to Bindook is NNW...?

59. DEPARTURE INFORMATION - AIP

59.1 Pilots of departing aircraft should:

a. if departing in the direction of the circuit, climb on the extended
runway centreline to circuit height. When past the departure
end of the runway continue straight ahead or make a 45 degree
turn in the circuit direction.[/SIZE]

b. if departing contrary to circuit direction, pilots should wait until
500 feet above circuit height before turning, and broadcast on
the CTAF.

:ok:

goin'flyin
8th Jun 2009, 09:28
Thanks Capt. for your informative contribution (unlike some others :ugh:) - that answers the question about the right turn after takeoff - company policy it is - simple.

EDIT: Ahhh yes - miss read that....500 feet above circuit height. wasn't that. Oh well, can remain a mystery.

Tankengine
8th Jun 2009, 09:33
Not company policy, just policy!:)

Dixondik
8th Jun 2009, 09:35
Ermm not company policy, just the law, anyone can do it.

NB: Beat me to it tank.

apache
8th Jun 2009, 12:07
but SERIOUSLY..... departing moruya at night! a LEFT turn at 800' vs a RIGHT turn towards terrain, with a radio call, .... the difference is negligible in terms of $$$$ saved or indeed time!

just my experience!