PDA

View Full Version : absolute beginner

yellow711
6th Jun 2009, 09:37
hi guys i was wandering what u guys think is the better school that caters for beginners in moorabin and essendon.
any tips and any tricks they use to rip u off... cheers

training wheels
6th Jun 2009, 13:26
any tips and any tricks they use to rip u off...

I've recently flown at schools from both airports so have a good idea of both environments.

Tips:

When you get the rate sheet for how much they charge, check to see whether GST is included on their sheet. I've found some schools at Essendon don't include GST on their rate sheet, so their rates "look" quite attractive. The school I flew with at Moorabbin included GST in their rates, as well as landing fees at Moorabbin.

Check to see whether you are charged on VDO time (engine start to engine shutdown time) or air switch time (time that the aircraft is in the air). The taxi times at both airports can be long (particularly Essendon's runway 26), so being charged on air switch would be better for this.

Essendon landing fees are about $42 for a light single; Moorabbin is about $11. Some schools at Moorabbin include the Moorabbin landing fee in their rates.

If you live in the eastern suburbs, then definitely look for a school at Moorabbin. Essendon is more expensive; plus longer transit to the training area compared with Moorabbin.

PlankBlender
6th Jun 2009, 13:32
..or if Lilydale is within reach, that's more economical still..

Peter Fanelli
6th Jun 2009, 13:33
Don't pay anything up front, pay for your lessons as you receive them.

tobz92_ymen
7th Jun 2009, 06:00
am currently at essendon but reconsidering now to move. In a months time landing fees will be rising from $47 for a C172 to $55-60 (see this friday's Australian). Unless your cashed up comfortably i would go to Bacchus Marsh or Point Cook, as essendon schools train at point cook anyway.

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2009, 08:33
Whilst it costs more to land at Essendon, it doesn't equate to $42 a lesson more than elsewhere, as the fees are negotiated with the operator. What is an issue is the fact that you can't do circuits and the transit time will cost you dearly.

JulieFlyGal
7th Jun 2009, 08:34
are there any small schools operating out at Pt Cook? I know Oxford flies from there but I don't recall seeing any small ones there.

NNB
7th Jun 2009, 10:54
do yourself a favour and call Glen Buckley's mob at MB (Melb Filght Training-I think) he is in the old TVSA building opp Ron lyman's Skylines Pilot shop. great down to earth people with plenty of customer friendly instructors (so Glen recons) all jokes aside, friendly environment with great facilities where you (the customer) really counts.
check them out AND no, I do not work for him or with him...!!!
blue skies,
NNB:ok: