PDA

View Full Version : Need a CAA Examiner for Revalidation!

kibbrew
5th Jun 2009, 17:27
I live in Ireland, and my CAA PPL (SEP) is due for revalidation again at the end of next month. However, in addition to my having to leave the county soon for work for a few weeks, the man who has revalidated my PPL for me the past couple of times is unavailable. Hence I'm
trying to give myself plenty of time to forestall my PPL
lapsing.

I have my 12 hours for the past 12 months
completed, including 6 as PIC, completed, and two trips with instructors, one for a biennial club check and another for a checkout on a grass strip that my club
has moved to for the summer.

Do any of you know a CAA examiner (in Ireland or the UK) to whom I could send my license and a copy of my recent logbook pages (and any other documentation required) to in order to sign up my revalidation?

Keygrip
5th Jun 2009, 17:55
It doersn't have to be a UK CAA examiner - it can be any JAA examiner - so nip up to Weston or somewhere and get a local examiner to sign it?

Fill out the UK paperwork, mail it off.

S-Works
5th Jun 2009, 18:00
It doersn't have to be a UK CAA examiner

But if it is a UK licence and not a UK JAA examiner it may require that the examiner has sought approval from the UK CAA in order to sign the licence. Page A8-5 of the Examiners hand book refers......

kibbrew, PM me as I may be able to assist.

BackPacker
5th Jun 2009, 18:12
I contacted the UK CAA about this. I have a UK-issued JAA PPL (SEP) but live in the Netherlands. The UK CAA had no problems with a Dutch JAA examiner signing the paperwork, provided that a copy of his license was sent to the UK CAA along with everything else.

So just find an IAA JAA examiner, have him/her sign the paperwork, make a copy of his/her license and send it to Gatwick together with the rest. Sorted.

S-Works
5th Jun 2009, 18:23
indeed backpacker, it was what I said. But don't just assume without asking that the UK CAA will accept an IAA automatically. Approval may need to be sought. That approval may be given in a phone call with a request for the examiner to send a copy of his Examiner Authorisation (not his licence as the licence does not carry the Examiner authorisation).

kibbrew
5th Jun 2009, 18:31
Think Bose-x is on the right track: Mine is a ye olde non-JAR pure UK CAA PPL issued in 1999, and could be a bit fussy as regards signatures...

rusty sparrow
5th Jun 2009, 19:45
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 1 hour flight with an instructor to maintain my licence (old lifetime PPL (A) issued in the 1980s) every two years has to meet the requirements of AIC 127/1999 - but what are those requirements? Can't find the document anywhere on google.

I've not yet done the 12 hours required for this second year - can I do the flight with an instructor now and add the required hours after?

S-Works
5th Jun 2009, 21:27
I've not yet done the 12 hours required for this second year - can I do the flight with an instructor now and add the required hours after?

Yes, you can do the flight with an Instructor or any other qualifying flight test at any time in the last 12 months before revalidation. You have to wait for the last 3 months according to schedule 8 of the ANO before it can be signed.

flybymike
6th Jun 2009, 00:24
Signature within last three months is a long standing stupid CAA cock up which they have evidently done nothing to rectify. No reason on God's earth why it should not be signed as soon as the requirements have been met ( as used to be the case before a redrafting error)

julian_storey
6th Jun 2009, 07:19
You don't have to wait until the last three months, HOWEVER if you are not in the last three months, the new 24 month validity runs from the date of the signature and not the date of expiry.

rusty sparrow
6th Jun 2009, 09:06
Thanks Bose - anyone able to tell me the the requirements of AIC 127/1999 or where I can find this? - in other words, what's covered in the revalidation flight?

S-Works
6th Jun 2009, 09:21
AIC 127/1999 was withdrawn by the CAA as certain Instructors were using it as if they were conducting a skill test on candidates.

The training flight is not a skills test. Training COM 1/2006 contained advice for instructors concerning the flight. It states that:

'Instructors are reminded that the primary aim of this flight is to ensure safety. In addition it is an opportunity for pilots to:

Brush up on existing skills and knowledge
Revise infrequently flown exercises
Possibly learn something new.

As Examiners we are also reminded of this in Standards Doc 14 V5.

So to answer your question, anything that you want maybe covered in your 2 year flight with an Instructor. If you are lacking ideas then the areas above may be suggested by your Instructor.

Try something new, tailwheel or differences training or just refresh some skills. The world is your oyster!

rusty sparrow
6th Jun 2009, 18:19
Thanks PD and Bose - sounds straightforward - I'll sort it in the next couple of weeks