PDA

View Full Version : Great Massingham

olicana
5th Jun 2009, 16:08
Does anyone have an experience of flying to Great Massingham (near Kings Lynn).

I have a relative who lives very nearby and I would like to fly down one evening to see him.

Whirlygig
5th Jun 2009, 16:15
Don't mistake West Raynham for it :}

Cheers

Whirls

Danny boy
7th Jun 2009, 11:04
Great airfield..but please PPR first the owner likes to know whos coming and going...:ok:

drambuster
7th Jun 2009, 15:40
Do get PPR from the owner, Mr Brun (01485 520257). Very helpful fellow if you follow the rules but there have been a few people who have hacked him off by not leaving their details and landing fee in the 'C' hut ! (£8 last time I checked)

You can find further details in Lockyears 'Farm Strips and Private Airfields Guide. ( Lockyears Farmstrips Guide (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=894) ) as well as from all the other pilot supply shops.

There is also a great pub/inn in the local village (Gt Massingham) called the Dabbling Duck . . . worth a fly-in all on its own :} ( The Dabbling Duck (http://www.thedabblingduck.co.uk/) )

Don't forget to speak to Marham MATZ on 124.15 and then Safetycom 135.475

Drambuster

olicana
7th Jun 2009, 19:13
Thanks for the info, I will be sure to contact the owner prior to my trip.

snapper41
8th Jun 2009, 08:14
Don't mistake West Raynham for it :}

You'd have to be blind to do that - West Raynham is huge and still looks operational (all runways intact), whereas Massingham...isn't.

AC-DC
8th Jun 2009, 21:12
Make sure to make your radio calls, also have a good look for aircraft flying in/out of the airfield. When we landed (on r/w 04 I think) someone took off from the cross runway, we did not see him untill he was airbourn.

olicana
8th Jul 2009, 05:21
I made it to Great Massingham the other evening and thoroughly enjoyed my visit.
I am used to operating from a bigish int. airport so it all came as a bit of a shock to see someone driving down the runway not long after I had landed.
I struggled to find the C Hut so called the owner and a lovely woman who introduced herself as the owners PA (her name escapes me) drove down to the airfield to show me round.

Although there is nothing but the runways at the airfield, about 5 minutes walk away is the very pretty village of Gt Massingham (duck pond and all). There is a lovely looking pub there that I intend to visit when I return.

One point of note, I was told to stay on Marhams frequency while operating in and out of the airfield and not use safety com. this is agreed with marham.

Oh and the landing fee for a single is £8, all money in the honesty box.

jxc
8th Jul 2009, 08:04
I visited there a couple of weeks ago great little place somebody driving down the run way after you landed

I had a van decide to drive whilst i was on very late finals :ugh: so had to Go around might have given him a fright as well !