PDA

View Full Version : Best current exchange rate for CPL EUR student?

hallava
4th Jun 2009, 20:22
Hi everybody,

I was wondering if an euro-savyy ppruner could shed some light on the matter...

I'm an aspiring pilot-wannabe from northern europe operating on euro, and due current circumstances the exchange rates seem to me in my favor. Where do you think I could make the best out of the training at the moment?

Is USA still the place to go (would like to have a JAA & FAA CPL), or would it be better to go to NZ, OZ, South-Africa..?
Iäve heard that if you are less than 30 years old you can obtain a 6 month working visa to USA/Canada, so I was thinking with a lot of luck and a LOT of determination this would be the way to do some hour building in Stateside.. On the other hand you can get working holiday visas up to 2 years in Downunder..

just some thoughts, and correct me if Im wrong but does this time seem very favourable for an european student to do their training??
:)

Heli-Ice
5th Jun 2009, 00:21
Check the FTO's in Iceland.

The rate on Euro vs Icelandic Krona is very much in your favour.

redsnail
5th Jun 2009, 09:02
Hallava,

A few of my colleagues took this approach. Which country would they like to visit but not likely to go there when working. Most came up with the answer "Australia"

Now, what you need to factor in is the cost of converting the CASA issued licence to a JAA (sorry, EASA) one. Hint, it isn't cheap.

Another option would be to do a PPL out there, blast around the place having fun and build up some hours. Then do the rest in JAA land.

Read the T&Cs of that 2 year working visa. You don't want to run foul of the Australian authorities.