PDA

View Full Version : Progress through Question Bank on track?

Okavango
4th Jun 2009, 18:47
Hi. I have my brush up in a couple of weeks and sitting Mod 1 exams early July. I'm now revising and about midway through the Bristol QB (working sequentially). Without referring to my notes I'm regularly getting 75-85% for any set of 50-100 questions I set myself and reasonably on time with Gen Nav and Flight Planning. I seem to have covered most topics as I'm recognising similar questions coming up again - does this sound on track or do the questions get harder or are they much different in the actual exams? Thanks.

BRS_flyer
5th Jun 2009, 06:51
There may be a few new ones in the real exam but the vast majority are word for word identical to the Bristol QB. Before each exam check: ATP Forum - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.atpforum.co.uk) and look in the feedback section, this has newer questions that come up in the real paper that might not be on the QB yet as submited by others. Helped me a lot!!

As you go further you will keep recognising questions more and more, a good plan is to make a note of the question numbers of those you are getting wrong (or search by keyword) and focus more time on those until you are getting them all right consistantly.

Best of luck

citation89
5th Jun 2009, 10:58
hey, no doubting it, Bristol is a great aid for these exams, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to rely on it alone. I have either sat or have close contacts who have sat exams for the last 6 months, with me taking the most recent ones at the start of this week. There are increasing numbers of questions coming in that have been on hold for several years, thereby meaning that also a good understanding of the subject is also needed. If you believe in just learning the database, I still think you have a good chance of passing, but to get the highest marks, In my opinion, it is important to go back to your books, learn the information thoroughly and then back this up with database practice, and no doubt this will also help you more for years to come, in your interviews you can't give an A, B, C or D to those tech questions :ok:

Good luck with it all:)

C89

AvGus
5th Jun 2009, 15:30
One can pass most, if not all, of the ATPL theory exams by 'question banking'. Sure there'll be a few new questions filtering through in each new paper but they're generally variations of a theme. I seriously doubt the CAA would ever land a paper of entirely novel questions without some forewarning to the various schools. This is, after all, the country that paints speed cameras luminous yellow and erects signs telling you that there's one ahead.

Okavango
5th Jun 2009, 18:50
Wups - thought I might start that debate! have done the study - do you think this level of performance at this stage is looking good? Reading form between the lines, if the exams are so close top the QB then a guess so?

citation89
6th Jun 2009, 20:56
haha, nah im not saying against going through the database, its a fantastic tool, I would have done a hell of a lot worse without it! The thing I'm saying is that in my opinion, unless you get a very nice exam, some extra knowledge above known questions will be needed. Most unseen questions are along the lines of others as AVGUS stated, but there are some out there that are completely different. I had about 10 questions last week in one exam that were on completely different areas than are covered by most other questions, still all within the sylabus but things that other questions may not cover, and these would have accounted for nearly 20% of the marks for that exam. In all honesty, you are making good progress and I'm sure you would have no problem passing the exams, just I think extra work beyond databases (or a very nice exam)is needed to access the top marks.

Hope this doesn't cause any debate!

C89