PDA

View Full Version : Were you circling Horsham today (4/6)?

vancouv
4th Jun 2009, 10:16
I spent about 20 minutes or so watching a 172 type circling my house in Horsham. As we're in Gatwicks zone it's very unusual to see a small plane, so I'm just being nosey! Were you looking at something particular, and were Gatwick quite happy to have you there?

A and C
4th Jun 2009, 11:17
Some time next week expect a knock on the door and a bloke selling photos of your house !

Fly-by-Wife
4th Jun 2009, 12:15
The Gatwick CTR is Class D airspace, and provided that the pilot 1) had an ATC clearance, 2) obeyed the 500' rule, and 3) could alight clear, I really don't see that anything further needs to be said.

If some or all of the above were not complied with, then perhaps the pilot could be taken to task by the CAA (not PPRuNe).

FBW

worrab
4th Jun 2009, 13:05
Would Horsham be considered a "congested area" and therefore require a minimum 1500' clear of the highest obstacle (+ land clear)?

Cusco
4th Jun 2009, 14:00
If it was silenced, had the fus/wing reg marks deliberately fudged by coloured cheat lines, and had full flap down , it was the aerial photographer for sure.........

Cusco:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
4th Jun 2009, 14:38
Would Horsham be considered a "congested area" and therefore require a minimum 1500' clear of the highest obstacle (+ land clear)?

Seeing as there has been no requirement to remain 1500' clear of a congested area for some years, the correct answer is no.

P.S. You can download a copy of CAP393 from the CAA website, free of charge.

worrab
4th Jun 2009, 14:56
:O+++

That would be 1000' then?

Thanks

vancouv
4th Jun 2009, 15:26
then perhaps the pilot could be taken to task by the CAA (not PPRuNe)

I'm not suggesting for a minute he was doing anything wrong, I was just curious as it's such an unusual sight. You see the odd plane transiting, but not circling for so long.

I have often thought about flying over my house, but have always been reluctant to hassle Gatwick to ask permission.