PDA

View Full Version : RAF ends 19 year mission in Iraq (first post)

RobHowarth
4th Jun 2009, 07:23
Hi all,
A few pictures taken yesterday at RAF Marham in Norfolk as the RAF ended their 19 year mission in Iraq. A flypast of 6 Tornado GR4's and 3 VC 10's took place before an emotional reunion with friends and family's
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/RobHowarth/Marham_Home01web.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/RobHowarth/Marham_Home05web.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/RobHowarth/Marham_Home04web.jpg
Cheers Rob

m2mob
4th Jun 2009, 07:46
So the RAF ended their 19 year mission to Iraq did they? The Hercs (and others still there) dont count then! That'll be the fast jet centric high command again. If it's not a fighter it doesn't count...............!:ugh:

To all those still out in Iraq - flying and non flying - stay safe, and come home the same.

M2MOB

PS - Glad the Tonkas and ALL their personnel got home ok.

PPS All spelling mistakes and factual errors are Mojave Red induced......!

500days2do
4th Jun 2009, 07:54
I totally agree....typical attitude of the fj(sic) fraternity...god speed to the rest of the RAF personnel out there...from truckie to gunner.

5d2d

Mobile Muppet
4th Jun 2009, 08:08
Well I know despite the FJ mob getting back safe from the horridness that is Al Udied, there will still be movers in BGW/BSR as well as other support trades and ofc, the Herc and Helo dets where ever they end up !!

TBH most of the RAF expect nothing less from those in command of our PR machine.

MM

TEEEJ
4th Jun 2009, 11:25
Superb Rob. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

:ok:

TJ

Culio
4th Jun 2009, 12:26
I particularly like the top picture; politics and big-headedness goes out of the window, it's just heart warming to see a family reunited.

mtanz0
4th Jun 2009, 12:29
How can it have been a 19 year mission, does that mean there were RAF squadrons based there at the time of the 2nd Gulf War ?

StopStart
4th Jun 2009, 12:36
News release here (http://nds.coi.gov.uk/imagelibrary/downloadMedia.asp?MediaDetailsID=274938)

The return of XIII Squadron marks the end of 18 years of RAF operations in the Gulf.

:hmm: Mega. I'll let the boys know that their dets are cancelled then :rolleyes:

Useless PR toss. Nice pics though! :ok:

tezzer
4th Jun 2009, 18:06
My, don't those VC10s still look the business ?

NutLoose
4th Jun 2009, 19:24
That first shot is absolutely cracking, it works in so many ways, focus, composition, subject matter, eye contacts and brings the humanity of the moment altogether in a superb image.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Whay else can one say but welcome home.

Cows getting bigger
4th Jun 2009, 20:21
Welcome back chaps/chapesses. Whilst the PR is good for the Service, I do share the observation about focus on FJs. After all, the vast majority of those RAF personnel killed and injured in Iraq over nearly two decades have had little to do with the FJ fraternity.

To those still out there, heads down and don't walk on the grass. :)

insty66
4th Jun 2009, 21:30
How can it have been a 19 year mission, does that mean there were RAF squadrons based there at the time of the 2nd Gulf War ?

I can't believe I'm answering this but............

Because Tornado first deployed in 1990 to the Gulf and has been on operations over there ever since.

I am fully aware there are people still out there but I would like to say well done to all those who have helped keep the Tornado flying for all that time from at least 7 different MOBs.

And seeing 3 VC10s in formation was a rare treat!

3engnever
4th Jun 2009, 21:37
I believe a certain tanker has been there since 91 as well!

pilots_aid
4th Jun 2009, 22:27
Cant wait for the big welcome home for the trucky fleet and other ground forces still on telic.

i can see it now....

no MT at brize just to start the ball rolling....then 3 days PODL before setting off to Herrick.

why does everything with a navigator in it suck

:D

Mobile Muppet
4th Jun 2009, 23:49
I'll repeat whats said before.....

Nice pics but the RAF are not out of Iraq. Despite all the joys of a few brave !! returning
remember those still in theatre for the foreseeable future !!

MM

stumpey
5th Jun 2009, 01:59
Fantastic first photo, should be on every front page and news channel.
The decisive moment. Well done.

Speedbird48
5th Jun 2009, 03:15
Great shots Rob,

Glad to see the guys home again, but lets not forget those still in the sandpit.

Nice to see they can get their "Ducks in a Row" (Iron, as in VC-10) I guess only one can afford the electric for the light?? Wonderful machine.

Speedbird 48.

West Coast
5th Jun 2009, 05:02
Excellent photo's
Fear the pic with the Union Jack being waved will be judged as too bombastic and warlike by the apologists

Wingswinger
5th Jun 2009, 06:47
Echelon starboard is a bit slack. :}

JTIDS
5th Jun 2009, 10:14
Is it just me or do some of those Union Flags look rather photo shopped?!

airborne_artist
5th Jun 2009, 10:22
My guess is that the photographer used some fill-in flash, to counteract the brightness of the sky, and the lack of light falling on the flags. Without flash the flags would have been silhouettes.

talisman1994
6th Jun 2009, 09:34
Shame on you Speedbird48! Still a beautiful machine and still has wing mounted landing lights that could not quite fit in to shot...

There are still people out there but still agreat return home by trail for the Gr4s and VC10s.:)

RobHowarth
6th Jun 2009, 17:30
Hi JTIDS,
Sorry it is just you I am afraid, as airborne_artist says fill in flash was used.

Cheers Rob