PDA

View Full Version : 37 year old and FAAt o JAA for a career

Vazel
4th Jun 2009, 04:38
Hello

I'm a European citizen and a holder of an FAA Commercial Pilot Single and multi engine land instrument airplane with about 500 hrs of flight time
I'm about to start the conversion to JAA and the question is that I'm 37 years old (and there is a chance to start flying Cessna Caravans for a small cargo operator to build some time parallel to my permanent job) is my age a limiting factor to aim at a Pilot job in an airliner when I'm done?
Is it a waste of time and money to start it?
Any advise would be welcomed.
Regards
Vazel

wild goose
4th Jun 2009, 05:36
Its all a question of supply and demand.
If the airlines need you they will take you.
If you pay for your own TR it will also be to your advantage.
At the moment as you probably know - its very tough, but that will change.
If you can handle the financial aspect, i'd say go for it :ok:

Vazel
4th Jun 2009, 12:58
Thanks wild goose!!

Transsonic2000
5th Jun 2009, 17:27
I completely agree with wild goose! I'm in the same boat as Vazel, same age and about same tt. Good luck mate!

CirrusF
5th Jun 2009, 17:43
You might want to consider bizjets as an alternative. Bizjet pax sometimes like to see older heads up front, and old crusty bizjet captains sometimes prefer to while away the hours in hotels with a co-pilot who has actually has some life-experience to talk about.

jeyjey
7th Jun 2009, 14:18
I tell you what, if you want to become a 747 Pilot with i.e. Air France it could be a little late. But If you are happy flying GA or even are patient for getting the right job, go for it. Its just a question of demand, and if you can wait there will be a rising demand in the future. I'm 41 starting flying two years ago after almost a 10 year break from flying. But my previously job doesn't make me happy, so I have to give flying a try before getting retired. :ok:

Kirks gusset
7th Jun 2009, 15:01
It really depends on the market you want to be in. If you want to fly 737 at a lowco that could be an issue as there is a surplus of type rated no hours guys around, but if you don't mind flying frieght in Nigeria or working out of Europe it may be a different story. We have just arranged a type rating for a 47 yr old nil commercial hrs guy on the 747 classic and he has a job on freighters secured after base training.. why maybe because he doesn't mind where he works, isn't worried about command and probably is good company on the long freight legs! Horses for courses.