PDA

View Full Version : Tail Wheel Endorsement in Victoria

sky_pilot
4th Jun 2009, 01:15
Hi Guys,

I am interested in getting my tail wheel endorsement over the next couple of weeks but am finding it hard to get a suitable aircraft for the following reason.

- I would prefer to do my training in something other than a Citabria / Decathlon

I live in Melbourne so anywhere in Victoria is considered valuable information.

If anyone could throw forward some names/numbers/ flying schools/ friend of a friend/ colleague who may be able to help with my training it would be much appreciated.

Sky Pilot :ok:

Lasiorhinus
4th Jun 2009, 02:06
Theres a Tiger Moth at Geelong...

Mark1234
4th Jun 2009, 04:03
Being more specific, talk to Gerrard Lapin at the LVAC (that's latrobe valley by the way). He's got both the decathlon and the C180. Good instructor, good bloke, and at LTV you can really cram in the circuits.

Though I did mine in the decathlon it was 'strongly' recommended (and I did) do some time in the 180 also - basically the decathlon's too easy, you should at least appreciate the difference.

I'd also suggest that route is a good way of managing the cost - get the fundamentals in the decathlon, then upgrade. The 180 is not a cheap beast to fly..

sky_pilot
4th Jun 2009, 05:52
I have nothing against a decathlon or citabria fellas, its was just curious to what other aircraft are available for tailwheel endorsements.

I wanted something a bit harder to handle than a decathlon. along the Cessna 180- Auster / Pacer lines..

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming in, as i am open to all suggestions

Sky Pilot :ok:

Darkrampage
4th Jun 2009, 13:36
I've done some hours in a Piper Sportcub, thats a tail dragger for you :}

Arnold E
5th Jun 2009, 09:25
Dont even think about trying to do a tailwheel endorsment in a Pitts, it would cost a fortune and take forever assuming you dont roll it into a ball first. Only for the experienced tail wheeler is the Pitts.:E

djpil
5th Jun 2009, 12:01
You will find one or two places around the country who'll do T/W endorsements in a Pitts.

Arnold E
5th Jun 2009, 12:36
djpil
The reason they will offer T/W endorsments in a Pitts is that they will make a fortune. As I said, dont even think about it unless you rob banks for a living.:=

Mark1234
5th Jun 2009, 13:37
Funny thing about the pitts is people will either tell you it's really not that hard, or absolutely impossible, a lot like the stories you hear about flying tailwheels..

Anyway, reminds me I must get a go in one.. I'll report back when I have. In the meantime, I have an idea djpil might just know the odd thing about the pitts :E

Oh, and I believe there's an auster at tyabb..