PDA

View Full Version : What career options are open for a pilot?

DanTM
3rd Jun 2009, 16:18
So, I’ll just set the scene a little:

I’ve wanted to be a pilot my entire life (haven’t we all?), but so far I haven’t done anything about it besides dreaming, playing flight-sims and taking the odd ‘trial flight’ given as a gift.

While I’d no doubt love to be an airline pilot, I’m already 22 which I’ve heard in the past could be a bit too late to get started. However, that might not be such a problem. I have no requirements on what class of plane I’d want to fly, I just want to be up in the air and make a career out of it.

I’ve just finished my last major year at university in the UK (on a course unrelated to flying), with only a dissertation project to complete next year, so I’m thinking this summer is the time to make a good go at it and start achieving my first license. I’m just not sure where to start looking, or what license to aim for.

Despite being a student, I’m not in any sort of debt and have enough cash for at least a PPL if I went for one of those first. I’m also aware of the Cabair-style courses which include PPLs as part of the training for an fATPL, so I didn’t want to just jump into a local flying school and block off other options by doing so, before asking any questions.

Becoming a flight instructor would certainly be something I’d be interested in, even though I’ve heard the income isn’t exactly fantastic; I’m not too bothered about that right now and just want to be gaining the experience and hours that might lead me somewhere else. It would be a great start anyway.

I guess what I’m asking is:

What sub-careers are there for a pilot? (i.e. flight instructor, airline pilot, aerial-photography*? Etc.)
What sort of training should I be looking at? (i.e. go straight for a PPL, or something else if I was planning to be an instructor straight after my training?)

Thanks in advance for your help, I’m sure these sorts of questions get asked often but I did check the FAQ before posting and couldn’t see anything about the different career paths available.

*I do have a slight amateur interest in photography, so that could be perfect if such a career exists...

DanTM
3rd Jun 2009, 20:04
After browsing around for a bit and reading this thread (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/376094-best-way-become-airline-pilot.html), it appears that the general consensus is to not go anywhere near an fATPL course at the moment, due to the down turn. A few people seem to be suggesting that just gaining a PPL and having fun for a few years is the best thing to do, so I guess I better start looking for a decent nearby flight school...

If anyone has any tips on how to decide which school would be the best for me I'll be happy to hear them!

Cheers,
Dan