PDA

View Full Version : RAF Flight Suit 16A

pilot_ygc
2nd Jun 2009, 20:05
Sorry to go over old ground here, but does anyone know where I can get a Mk 16A Grow Bag?

I have already tried eBay and such, with no joy. I understand they are hard to come by, but surely there must be some out there!

Cheers

green granite
2nd Jun 2009, 20:41
try:

M.R. ARMY SURPLUS (http://www.mrarmysurplus.co.uk/page.php?domain_name=mrarmysurplus.co.uk&viewpage=ROYAL%20AIR%20FORCE)

stock index (http://www.mart-aviation.co.uk/Stock%20index.htm)

2mins on google. :O

Torque Tonight
2nd Jun 2009, 20:52
and it's a 'flying' suit. We're not Americans.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jun 2009, 21:46
Hear hear, Torque Tonight. Another one that makes me cringe is seeing SD caps referred to as "visor caps". I see that all the time on ebay

pilot_ygc
2nd Jun 2009, 22:29
Thanks for the reply, however MR Surplus cannot find a MK16 in v.good condition in my size, the search continues...

I am aware that UK Aircrew use the term 'Flying' suit, but I used the generic term 'Flight' as this is what the majority of online traders seem to be using these days :)

DaveyBoy
3rd Jun 2009, 02:15
It is neither -- it is a coverall. Our flying suits were two-piece!

Biggles225
3rd Jun 2009, 08:30
Can't Silvermans help? I seem to recall you could outfit your own air force from there at one time.:hmm:

OKOC
3rd Jun 2009, 15:21
May I ask-why does it have to be a Mk 16A rather than Mk 16B that you wish to buy?

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jun 2009, 16:00
OKOC maybe because the 16B does not have kneeboards?

There is one on eBay where the picture shows knee boards but the description states it is a 16B as it does NOT have knee boards.

OKOC
3rd Jun 2009, 16:26
Pontius-thanks I spotted the Ebay Mk 16 too and as you so rightly say, the photo doesn't match the description. Still wonder why the OP doesn't try the 16B and use "strap-on" kneeboards-far more punchy I'd say but what the heck-each to his own. Good luck with your quest.

PAPI-74
3rd Jun 2009, 16:34
Bit bulky and very hard to get hold of - well the issue kneeboards anyway.

PAPI-74
3rd Jun 2009, 16:37
RAF NOMEX FLYING SUIT (http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/AIR+FORCE+KIT/Description/RAF+NOMEX+FLYING+SUIT/ItemId/13921/Default.aspx)

Well that took all of 6 sec.

They are very over-priced but probably the only place.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Jun 2009, 17:12
Papi, that looks like a Mk14 if that is the proper picture.

PAPI-74
3rd Jun 2009, 18:20
Out of ideas then....
Write to the stores NCO at various stations or get someone in the Air Cadets to do it for you. Tell them it is for a flying training.

pilot_ygc
5th Jun 2009, 18:16
I had been using a 16A (because of the kneeboards), but it got eaten up in a bail over BC last year, and I haven't been able to find one since.
I shall give my local UAS a call, see what (if anything) they can russel up!

Cheers for the help

212man
6th Jun 2009, 03:25
Well, you could always go to the manufacturer!

http://www.rfdbeaufort.com/rfd_Commercial/products/supportingFiles/6144373_MK16%20Brochure.pdf

They also have a new improved version, called the 'Smart' Coverall. Basically a more fitted evolution of the MK16, with some detailing changes, and also available in Orange. We ordered a bunch from them last year.

18greens
7th Jun 2009, 14:17
Why do you want an RAF suit when presumably, if you are buying, you can get one of the US Flying Suits. Despite the new Smart Coverall being 'more fitted' it still looks like a potato sack. At least the American ones fit.

And that poor bloke on the Beaufort front page, if they are that uncomfortable would you want one. Do they come fitted with a spike in the rear area?

Pontius Navigator
7th Jun 2009, 14:25
Actually I think the French ones are rather smart :}

foldingwings
8th Jun 2009, 11:57
I found one of mine (with my name still inside it) on the market stalls in Covent Garden once!

True, as I was the only one with my rather unique surname in the RAF!

Foldie