PDA

View Full Version : Been outta the cockpit for awhile, looking for guidance on hireability

brunson88
2nd Jun 2009, 02:35
I left (furloughed) United Airlines 6 year and havent been in the cockpit since. I have a 757/767 type rating and plenty of good hours. Im wondering if I'd be wasting my time applying for an F/O job being that Ive been non-current for so long. BB

Left Wing
2nd Jun 2009, 05:34
sorry to say...but the outlook is very very bleak...

pilotara
2nd Jun 2009, 05:48
It never hurts to apply. You might get a hit in the middle east or Asia. there are few guys that haven't flown for few years and they did get hired with Qatar, Gulf Air, and a compny in india but i cannot recall the name. just apply it never hurts and its free

Jimmy Do Little
2nd Jun 2009, 06:05
It will be difficult, but no impossible. You'll have to get current again - in other words, pay for some SIM time. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I had an offer of employment.

With that in mind, ANA is hiring 767 F/O's and Captains. Also, Korean Air is hiring for the 777. To get hired you need a 777 rating, or a 757/767 rating, then you will have to pay for your 777 rating after they've offered you a position.

Otherwise, check with the various agencies - Parc, Rishworth, Direct Personell, etc. Their websites usually have info for fellows with your circumstances.

Cheers, and good luck.

777vs330
2nd Jun 2009, 13:04
Although no harm for trying any carrier, I seriously wont waste time with KAL, they are flooded with choices now for both seats. I would go with Qatar 1st and take it from there.

Metro man
3rd Jun 2009, 02:56
DON'T GIVE UP. I know an ex CX 49er who's just got a job in the right seat, not having flown in the intervening years. You will have to lower your sights, but if he can do it .......:ok:

SonnyCrockett
3rd Jun 2009, 15:48
....and then there those of us who are CURRENT on the B767/757 and A320 with 11,000+ Hours, young (38) SINGLE, no dependants, SIX Type Ratings, No accidents/incidents currently flying for UAL (but getting Furloughed) and had HEARD NOTHING for over a year that I have been applying!

I have APPLIED everywhere. There are no easy answers. Sorry to rain on the parade, but this is the reality of it all.