PDA

View Full Version : carriage of compressed CO2 gas cylinders

Fun Police
1st Jun 2009, 18:14
hi all,
since fire season is looming in north america, does anyone know off hand if the small CO2 cylinders that are used with personal floatation devices can be carried in checked luggage on the airlines. these are the ones that are about the length of an index finger and slightly larger in diameter than ones thumb (unless you are freakishly large i wouldn't think that they would present a problem, but i work in the private sector so what makes sense to me will probably be against the law):rolleyes:.
thanks as always,
FP

rufus.t.firefly
1st Jun 2009, 18:19
Check with the airline , or take a look at the IATA Dangerous Goods By Air
Manual if you have access , probably best to ask direct in case it needs specific packing for transport.

Your own national Aviation Authority - DG /Safety Department should also be able to advise - just ask them:ok:

Gordy
1st Jun 2009, 18:53
According to 49 CFR 175.10(a)(11), (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=49:2.1.1.3.10&idno=49#49:2.1.1.3.10.1.25.5) they are allowed with the approval of the airline. You may wish to print this out AND call the airline first:

49 CFR 175.10(a)(11) A self-inflating life jacket fitted with no more than two small gas cartridges (containing no hazardous material other than a Div. 2.2 gas) for inflation purposes plus no more than two spare cartridges. The lifejacket and spare cartridges may be carried in carry-on or checked baggage, with the approval of the aircraft operator.

Edited to add---Why don't you put some cartridges on your support vehicles, and that way when you fly in for relief you can just put these into your personal vest if you have one. We just have jackets on each aircraft and share them, so the issue never arises.

The FAA has a handy dandy chart to download Here. (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/media/MaterialsCarriedByPassengersAndCrew.pdf)

Fun Police
1st Jun 2009, 19:18
thanks gentlemen,
gordy, there is talk of stocking each aircraft with its own PFD which will eventually negate the need for me to carry my own, but until then at least i will have one that i know works and where it has been etc.
thanks again,
FP

BJC
7th Jun 2009, 01:44
I think the airline's permission is the key. I have two coworkers who have recently tried travelling on differemt Air Canada flights with the CO2 cylinders. One successfully, the other quite unsuccessfully. I tried to travel with a EBS air bottle once and the mountain of paperwork made me decide that it just wasn't worth it, although in the end they agreed, as long as the bottle was disassembled :ugh:

Madbob
8th Jun 2009, 16:52
99.99% of airliners carry lifejackets for SLF and they use CO2 to inflate. They aren't classed as DAC, are they, so what's the big deal?

We only talking of c. 38 grams of CO2....I prefer to take my own if I rent a self fly light aeroplane and venture out over the water. Firstly, I like to wear it when flying in a single-engined plane and secondly, I know i) its age, ii) that it will work should I need it and iii) I inspect it regularly and iv) no one tells me to leave it in its pouch/cannister to avoid un-necessary wear!

MB

mickjoebill
8th Jun 2009, 18:27
I've travelled in europe and oz with life jacket in checked baggage. I pack it at the top with the spare bottle clearly marked to help diffuse any concern.

No problems so far.

I fold the life jacket in a particular way so I know if anyone has opened the case and had a fiddle.

However I have a 1.7 cubic feet "spare air" bottle (the smallest size) which I only ever travel with in an empty state as it is over the limit.

Mickjoebill

rufus.t.firefly
8th Jun 2009, 19:05
"99.99% of airliners carry lifejackets for SLF and they use CO2 to inflate. They aren't classed as DAC, are they, so what's the big deal? "

Think you might find they are on the Approved Aircraft Equipment list for that particular aircraft and carrier as authorised by the relevant authority - just a thought :)

Gordy
8th Jun 2009, 19:23
MadBob

iv) no one tells me to leave it in its pouch/cannister to avoid un-necessary wear!

The issue as I see it is not the wear and tear. Wearing a life-preserver in a helicopter "can" be a hazard should one have to exit the aircraft underwater.

The sealed ones, (as in the vest type), do not seem to be a problem, but the yellow floppy ones can catch on the door frame and also there will be lots of sharp edges on the way out which can puncture the fabric.

One may wish to re-consider ones policy.