PDA

View Full Version : The CPL Test

TheRich23
1st Jun 2009, 15:01
Ive got the test coming up and just looking to gather some info on the 'nasty surprises' the examiners deem amusing? Would appreciate any stories you have, however painful they may be to re-live!

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2009, 15:08
I didn't have any nasty surprises; my CPL test was pretty much as I was told it would be (and similar to my 170A).

However, in case you don't do this; make sure you know what numbers are on the gauges (Ts & Ps). I had the examiner cover the oil pressure and ask me what it was reading.

Couple of questions (quite straight-forward) during the daily inspection.

He's not there to fail you or to catch you out but to ensure that you are safe and competent in conducting a revenue earning flight.

Cheers

Whirls

TheRich23
1st Jun 2009, 15:21
Cheers, thats exactly the kind of thing Im after. Anyone else, keep em coming...

maxdrypower
1st Jun 2009, 18:10
Matey you can read the standards document detailing exactly what you will be tested on . The examiner will brief you thoroughly prior to the flight , there are no dirty tricks it will go exactly as briefed (from the examiners point of view obviously)
One of the examiners once said to me " I dont fail anyone I just sit there and watch "
The only pressure on a cpl or indeed an IR will come from yourself , not the examiner
Hopefully :}
Good luck and dont worry about dirty tricks there will be no surprises

Captain Stravaigin
1st Jun 2009, 19:56
I took my check ride last week and got one surprise. This was on the Nav and just after my half way point - but a long way from the three quarter way point I was asked to divert "directly from present position" to a nearby town. I had been expecting some time to plan this and instead of looking for a known visual point (actually there wasn't much and that was to my left the opposite way to my diversion point) . Sadly I panicked and just blundered in roughly the right direction until I had worked out wind drift, distance etc.
I then flew the leg perfectly - sadly a good 5 miles from where I should have been and paralleled the correct path.

I thought about this afterwards (I got a partial) and reckoned if I had been expecting this I could have known just from time where I was on my track and used that as my fixed point and taken a minute or two to work things out properly. I could also have just curled back over the half way point (about 2 miles behind me) - I asked the Examiner later if this would have been OK and he said "Yes".

For the record I retook the Nav section - flew it to bang on heading and arrived at my diversion point to the second of my stated ETA.

mcgoo
1st Jun 2009, 20:28
I havn't heard of any nasty surprises in the JAA tests but while I was in the states its in the practical test standards that the examiner may try to distract you, an example would be pulling the gear pump breaker on take -off or trying to make conversation at high workload parts of the test.

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2009, 20:52
My examiner made a specific point of saying that he wouldn't distract me by talking to me unless I had the workload/capacity for chatting (I didn't). He explained that his "role" was as an "interested passenger" and will be able to offer minor assistance if required i.e. hold a map or similar.

Cheers

Whirls

Mordacai
2nd Jun 2009, 11:41
No tricks. no traps. Listen carefully to the briefing.

An appeals process is in place to deter examiners from pulling amusing tricks! (You can't appeal against the result, just the conduct).

thetimesreader84
2nd Jun 2009, 14:11
The examiner will not try to trick you, certainly not in the UK under JAR. I can't speak for anywhere else, but i doubt that they would try to deliberately fool or force you into making an error.

My CPL examiner told me that "Everyone walks into that briefing room with a pass; whether or not they still have that pass by the end of the day is up to them".

As far as practical advice, make sure your organised. I had a ring binder for my CPL and IR test with specific divisions for Weather, Notams, Spare PLOGs, M&B info, and a folder for all test applications, confirmations, receipts, etc. Basically all the bumff that you needed to present to the examiner for the test was in this folder. That seemed to go down well. Ask questions if you are not sure of anything. Better to ask and know than to keep quiet and make a silly mistake...

Make sure you eat something before the test. If you are anything like me your stomach will be doing somersaults before you go in, but you will need some blood sugar to aid concentration, etc. Adrenaline alone won't keep you going!

Dont panic if you make a mistake, or see the examiner writing stuff. Chances are it is some minor debrief point, or (as happened on my CPL) a reminder for the examiner to buy a loaf of bread and some milk on the way home!

If the worst happens and you do make a serious balls up, keep calm. All is not lost. Put it to one side and get on with the rest of the test, maybe you can't pass it, but you can still fail it. Go for the Partial.

TTR

BigGrecian
3rd Jun 2009, 13:03
I thought about this afterwards (I got a partial) and reckoned if I had been expecting this I could have known just from time where I was on my track and used that as my fixed point and taken a minute or two to work things out properly. I could also have just curled back over the half way point (about 2 miles behind me) - I asked the Examiner later if this would have been OK and he said "Yes".

Not sure who you tested with, but, at PPL level this would be acceptable.

However, I'm not convinced a CPL examiner would pass this as it is not commercially expeditious.

A rough enroute heading whilst planning (obviosuly making sure clear of any danger areas etc,) and then firming up your plan and point of departure and plan etc.

(As a background I have given 1500 hours CPL instruction)

camel toe
7th Jun 2009, 23:55
I can't remember the exact figure, but you can turn back on your initial leg to get a fix before starting the diversion. I think it's something like 5 minutes of flying time.

So if you get the diversion mid leg and you're not over a good ground reference (ie moor) you can "hang a 180" and go back to that railway tunnel you flew over 3 minutes ago and initiate the diversion from there.

Best ask your instructor what the rule is, or wait for one to come along here.

There shouldn't be any surprises in JAR world, and most examiners will give you the line "I'm only there as an interested observer, and I don't want to fail you".

Final bit of advice, keep going right up until the end, don't slacken off on that final circuit and bugger up your flare, or taxi dangerously. It's too easy to think "I'm almost home" and let the guard slip. This is a common occurence in the "car world", where over a third of all accidents occur within 1 mile of getting home as drivers suffer from "switching off syndrome".

Best of luck

Camel Toe
"Over Macho Grande?"

clanger32
8th Jun 2009, 09:11
Some excellent advice there, all of which I'd suggest is worth reading over and maintaining in the back of your mind.

For me personally, the biggest tip would be to remember it isn't over till the fat lady sings. Even if you think you've right royally screwed it up, put it out of your head and keep going! You may well be very suprised by how well it turns out in the end...