PDA

View Full Version : Heirs to the Throne all gone Rotary Wing

flipster
1st Jun 2009, 09:33
Is it right that both near-heirs to the throne have gone rotary?

BBC NEWS | UK | Harry reveals flying self-doubt (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8076266.stm)

I forsee a number of problems here:

1. British Military Aircraft, especially RW, seem to have , or have had, a big problemwith Airworthiness and fitness-for-purpose - Chinook, Sea King, Puma, Merlin etc.

2. Helicopters don't actually fly, they are just so ugly, the earth repels them!

3. The brothers are cooking for eachother!

Irrespective of the lack of kudos (in 2.) and 'elf-and-safety (in 3.) aspects, this the correct environment for the 'almost-the-next-in-line' or is this a conspiracy to someday get us a King Peter or Queen Zara????

And before anyone else says it

"The RAF don't have to work as hard as the Army," he joked.

He's quite right, of course, but then he should have worked harder at school, so he could have joined the posh Crab-Air, rather than roughing it with teeny-weeny cabs!!!!!!

Hamish 123
1st Jun 2009, 15:29
So, Harry's concerned about failing the course - somehow, I don't see that happening . . . . for his brother either.

airborne_artist
1st Jun 2009, 16:16
Harry says his maths isn't great - which means he should really have joined the light blue, as then he'd have had a directional consultant for all those tricky nav problems...

minigundiplomat
1st Jun 2009, 16:26
Is it right that both near-heirs to the throne have gone rotary?

BBC NEWS | UK | Harry reveals flying self-doubt (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8076266.stm)

I forsee a number of problems here:

1. British Military Aircraft, especially RW, seem to have , or have had, a big problemwith Airworthiness and fitness-for-purpose - Chinook, Sea King, Puma, Merlin etc.

In whose opinion, and against what yardstick? Compare Merlin or Ch47 airworthiness with a Harrier or C130 then come back to us and restate what you have stated above.

2. Helicopters don't actually fly, they are just so ugly, the earth repels them!

Personal opinion, which is great but nothing to do with what is being discussed in the article.

Irrelevant.

Irrespective of the lack of kudos (in 2.) and 'elf-and-safety (in 3.) aspects, this the correct environment for the 'almost-the-next-in-line' or is this a conspiracy to someday get us a King Peter or Queen Zara????

Lack of Kudos? You go tell the guys flying the IRT aircraft in Iraq or Afghanistan who have won several awards, public acclaim and can't turn round for journo's following their every move that they suffer from a lack of kudos. I'd enjoy hearing the laughing over Odiham's night flying.

And before anyone else says it

Quote:
"The RAF don't have to work as hard as the Army," he joked.
He's quite right, of course, but then he should have worked harder at school, so he could have joined the posh Crab-Air, rather than roughing it with teeny-weeny cabs!!!!!!

And which bit of posh Crab-Air would that be? The AT and SH force are fit to bust, so you must be referring to the AD guys? Im not that sure they would consider themselves posh.

Other than that, a great post.

davejb
1st Jun 2009, 18:36
I thought he was being light hearted, a touch of p*** take, which is also called banter?

MGD - lighten up mate, you really did take the thread opener a bit too seriously there.

Nobody is going to chop anyone whose initials are HRH (funny how they all have the same initials, innit?), so the guy is possibly a little short on commonsense for worrying about it, they'll get him airborne in a wokka even if they have to build secret compartments in the tailboom to contain QHIs with remote control sets while the flight controls are actually only used to stir pots of thick grease about. In my view he was a good guy for going to Afghanistan, he's never going to prove critical to national defence, so let him play with one of Mum's toys all he likes.

The RAF don't work as hard as the army - that's why I joined the RAF. Any idiot can be uncomfortable and do things the hard way, thank goodness so many fit young chaps seem to like doing that....

Herc-u-lease
1st Jun 2009, 18:59
The RAF don't work as hard as the army

I like the statement, but i'm not sure what "work" it refers to. if it means the number of hours a day we do, then i'd disagree. If by work he means digging fox holes, running around and doing more war-type things such as patrols in Afghanistan then he might just be right. - cue Rocks to jump in.:)

flipster
1st Jun 2009, 19:07
MGD

Great post!!!:):)

Would you like me to remove that hook from the corner of your mouth?

BTW I have nothing but huge respect for those who fly and maintain our over stretched and underfunded SH force.

I just thought you guys had a sense of humour!!!!!!:cool::ok:

Union Jack
1st Jun 2009, 19:16
And I'm still waiting to discover just what exactly constitutes "the posh Crab-Air" !:)

Jack

GreenKnight121
2nd Jun 2009, 01:42
And a song just popped into my head...
to the tune of "Where have all the flowers gone?".

Where have all the fast jets gone, long time flying
where have all the fast jets gone, short time ago
where have all the fast jets gone, cut down by Gordon's pen
when will they ever learn... when will they ever learn.

Desert Diner
2nd Jun 2009, 05:48

I wonder what's on the menu?:ooh:

flipster
2nd Jun 2009, 09:32
2 poached eggs au Middleton?

Chelsy Buns?

Eggy Soldiers?

Crab fricasse?

Chicken a la King?

On a serious note, I am very glad that the future king and his brother are involved in and committed to aviation. At least as future aircraft commanders, they will have an inkling about what constitutes CRM and maybe that practical leadership is based on trust, understanding and communication.
Surely, that can only be a good thing?
Maybe one day, the future King can pass it on to the PM and his MoD mandarins?
God Bless yer, yer Majesty!!!!!!:D:D

Desert Diner
2nd Jun 2009, 09:38
A meal fit for a King!:ok:

airborne_artist
2nd Jun 2009, 10:00
I'll bet that Brown Windsor soup isn't on the menu :E