PDA

View Full Version : TIF - Sydney - Glass Aircraft

Sydney2006
1st Jun 2009, 06:00
Hi,

Does anyone know of a flying school in Sydney that can offer a TIF in a Glass cockpit plane??? GFS did have one, but they seem to have left now.

Thankyou

Aaron

ZappBrannigan
1st Jun 2009, 06:35
Sorry, can't help with your Q, but I'm interested - do you want to do the TIF in a glass aircraft for the hell of it, or cause you like them (which is fine), or because you're interested in doing actual flight training in one? People may disagree, but I have some problems with using nothing but glass from ab-initio through to PPL/CPL, MECIR etc., which some schools are doing, especially if you're on some "fast track to the airlines" program. I believe the logic is flawed, and I'm not sure if I'd feel right flying in an old King Air/Metro/whatever with someone who had a total of two IF hours on steam gauges. Anyway, I'm hijacking your thread, apologies.

Sydney2006
1st Jun 2009, 07:05
Hey,

Personally, I would just like to do it for the experience, the flight training program I'm with uses old style gauges, so I'm interested to see what a glass setup is like.

D-J
1st Jun 2009, 07:43
both Curtis & Airborne Aviation out at camden have 172/182's with glass

a cheaper way would be to buy MS flight sim 10..... c172 with Garmin 1000

Pin37
1st Jun 2009, 07:46
Steam is good and glass is good, they are both telling you the same thing. even in the same format most of the time.

ZappBrannigan
1st Jun 2009, 08:09
Steam is good and glass is good, they are both telling you the same thing. even in the same format most of the time.Not denying for a second that glass is good, nor would I ever deny that every single bit of information (if not a lot more) is displayed with glass. I'm not talking about the pros and cons of glass cockpits - they're fantastic.

My only problem is with using them for every bit of flight training from ab-initio onward. I can't imagine someone who's used nothing but the G1000 from their first flight onward would have their instrument scanning and general flight/IF techniques nice and sharp on a 1970's era twin with clunky old steam gauges from left to right if they'd barely (or never) flown them before.

I'm extremely happy that I did all my CPL/MECIR training on old stuff. Now - I'd be happy to take a glass cockpit any day of the week. Again, happy for people to disagree.

WIKI44
1st Jun 2009, 09:30
It's a good experience to fly a glass cockpit equipped aeroplane. However, I would recommend doing most of your training on aeroplanes with conventional equipment because a) it will be cheaper
b) your first job will most certainly involve conventional instrument equipped aeroplanes
c) it will be cheaper
After the first few hours the novelty will wear off.
Plus, you will hear your instructor tell you to "keep your eyes outside" more than a few times during your training, and for good reasons too.
If you just want to get a ppl and fly for pleasure every now and then, then glass equipped aeroplanes make things very easy and ease the workload considerably.
Still, it won't take you more than a few hours in the air to get used to flying a glass equipped aeroplane as opposed to one with conventional instruments.

Sydney Flight Training have 5 G1000 172's. They are a bit pricey though .. around $285 dual ex. landing fees and GST. They also have a g1000 equipped synthetic trainer, not sure how much that goes for.

good luck.

p.s. if you are going to continue training on a glass aeroplane then make sure you spend time a) studying the manuals thoroughly
b) use a computer based glass cockpit sim. it'll let you fiddle around with all the buttons and save you time fumbling around the cockpit in the air.

training wheels
1st Jun 2009, 10:33
The glass aeroplanes you fly should at least have conventional AH, ASI and Altimeter as standby so you can get the best of both worlds. I've been flying a DA40 with G1000 as well as a PA 44 with the Avidyne system but I always refer to the conventional altimeter when managing altitude. The digital altitude read out on the glass doesn't seem to register with me as well as it does with the conventional altimeter. I don't know whether it's just me, but it'll make a good research topic for someone doing their Masters or Ph.D on Human Factors! ;)