PDA

View Full Version : Hour building (Spain)

JaMiE7Walker
31st May 2009, 08:24
Good morning everybody!
I was hoping someone could give me a little advice on where to undertake my hour building in southern Spain.
I only have 3 ATPL exams to sit which finish at the start of July & will be looking to fly straight out there.
I have read lots of posts on here already but no one has managed to indicate an estimate of pricing & a good school to fly at.

My main problem will be cost. I am aware that Jerez is & looks a very nice school but there prices are around £120 p/hour.
I am looking for somewhere that will charge around £80 p/hour for a Cessna 150/152/172 i dont mind. I will be looking to block book potentially 50hours. Does anyone here have any contacts or recomendations they good pass on?

Help:ugh:

Thank you
Jamie

The Old Fat One
31st May 2009, 09:17
Any particular reason for Spain, when you can get the rate your are looking for in the UK?

JaMiE7Walker
31st May 2009, 09:28
Mainly for the experience. I still will need another 20 hours of PIC time which i intend to complete in the UK. The best offer i have had in this country is from Gamston aiport. £80 p/hour on a Cessna 152 which i will probably take up on.

Jamie

LH2
31st May 2009, 15:42
The current prices I am aware of are around the €130-€140 mark wet per hour for 172s of various descriptions. A 100hr packet should get you a decent discount (perhaps 20%) but personally I would not pay for so many hours in advance.

It might be a bit cheaper at an aeroclub in France, but with the current exchange rate, apart from the UK the only other places liable to have reasonably priced planes (+ interesting flying) are the Scandinavian countries.

If you still want to try Spain (it is quite GA friendly and flying is reasonably interesting. ATC OTOH are crap), then I would just get a list of FTOs and registered facilities in the country (try aviacion civil's website) and phone them all. Well, perhaps avoid everything in LECU, and probably everything in LELL as well. Then try and choose somewhere which is easily reachable by lo-co from the UK. In any event, look very carefully if you are offered anything under the €90/hr wet mark.

HTH

Mickey Kaye
2nd Jun 2009, 08:35
Jamie PM sent with details on C150 x 2 and C152 x 1 for £78 quid wet VFR nav kit here in the UK.