PDA

View Full Version : "Firefox 3.0.10 problem" You call that a problem?

Loose rivets
31st May 2009, 04:23
That was supposed to be in italics. Anyway, a waning...of sorts.

Having said that all was well with FF in another thread, I opened an e from a trusted friend. He'd invited me to be a "friend" in Facebook.

I'd heard of this program, but had little interest in it. So sad is my life stuck down here in a Tex-Mex oven, that I deemed any contact with my old life worth trying. He's a Luddite, and won't Skype for fear of...I dunno, Skyping, I suppose.

I fill in the thingies, and after some hiccup, abandon and uninstall Facebook. It leaves a folder with a huge file in it, which I delete with vengeance. Okay, back to normal? Nope, now FF opens with the screen scrinched up to the top. Nothing I can find - and yes I really looked - would cause it to open. I dragged the screen open and there was my usual Google Hello screen. Options and re-set the current screen as my Hello screen. Still starts with about one inch of active screen. For some reason I elected to run CCleaner.

No FF. No this. No that. Re-boot on other HD. This drive is...or was, partitioned into C: D: E:. C: the OS, D: programs E: my data. D: has been destroyed. I could say corrupted, but destroyed conveys my feelings a lot better. By the grace of Bill Gates, FF on this drive didn't get put in D:

Even the links to the programs are gone, Start does not even show my WP. How did that happen? Okay, I expect it to say it can't find the prog/drive etc., but to remove the shortcut? Sheesh.

Worst thing is that I can't blame anyone but me. My pal thinks there are little men in his computer...keep them well fed with electricity, and everything will be alright, I'm supposed to know better.

I don't expect any help, and certiainly no sympathy. But be warned. Facebook or FF or CCleaner...or a combination thereof, got me.

Have a nice day...and even if you have a bad one, be grateful, it's gonna be better than mine.:{

Loose rivets
31st May 2009, 05:24
curiouser and curiouser

THIS IS FOR GENERAL INTEREST ONLY. I'VE BEEN INSTALLING EVERYTHING AGAIN...BE GOOD PRACTICE FOR WIN 7. BUT YOU JUST MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENED IF HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS.

The newer drive was not in use when it lost its drive D:. Called from the BIOS set up, the older drive was in use though one can see the other (miss labeled) drives in Explorer. They can be copied to for back up etc, so are vulnerable.

I ended up formatting D: in the newer drive. I then downloaded a new version of FF into an appropriate directory in that drive, more to test it than anything. I copied this file to the other physical drive and then booted from that. I then installed FF while in that drive. All worked seamlessly. However, there's always an However.

When I removed the old FF from the serviceable physical drive, I very specifically said YES to removing all the detritus associated with FF. Very specifically the Favorites. Yep, new installation, and an out of date set of Favorites is still there.

Darn, I even looked into the Task Manager and zapped anything that looked like FF or Italian cheese.

You may think this doesn't matter. Introducing the Bookmarks from the other physical drive will overwrite the old one...yes? No. Last time I did it, the F-in' thing showed the old Bookmarks menu with the new one added on the end! It was astonishingly time consuming to zap these in Manage Bookmarks.

None of these things have happened before. Has anyone had anything like this happen, and is it something norty lurking in the depths?

Tex37
31st May 2009, 06:33
Hi LR

Sounds like you have been "got" by a nasty email. Facebook is purely web based, running on webservers and requires no local inslallation.

sorry to hear about the problems, maybe a google search will enlighten you a bit more, check out the details of the original link in the email and put that into google and see wheat it birngs up.

Tex

frostbite
31st May 2009, 11:43
Had some of that Bookmarks nonsense with FF.

Normally run Opera but occasionally FF, so I asked it to import the Opera bookmarks.

Hasn't done it! Er, yes it has, all in a folder at the end of the list. Haven't they heard of integration?

green granite
31st May 2009, 13:18
all in a folder at the end of the list. Haven't they heard of integration?

I have that problem with Safari for windoze. :(

Loose rivets
31st May 2009, 15:57
Facebook is purely web based, running on webservers and requires no local inslallation.

Ah:hmm: That's interesting.

Well, when the old drive is ready - and stable enough - to be the temporary main drive for a while, I'll try that specific Facebook link on the new drive before stripping it.

On the other hand, I might quit while I'm ahead.

BTW, on the original fault, there was a very short scroll bar on the side of the Hello Screen. One time, I stretched it to the bottom and went out via Exit. Re-booted, and lo! it was normal on the first start of FF. My joy was short-lived. Second start and it was squidged up to the top again.

So far, the fresh download and install has been normal.

It's almost as though Facebook primed something so that CCleaner reached out to the drive that was lying fallow, and corrupted one of its logical drives. Various attempts to see past the corruption, produced only the report that the total area, 50 gigs, was full. Two gigs of programs would have been nearer the truth. Disk management reported the logical drive as healthy. Sounds a bit like my doctor.:\

It seemed to format normally.

I was hoping to have that drive ready for downloading Win 7 last night. I'm hoping that I can confine the download to C: only, leaving D: and C: as they are. Is there anything that Win 7 might do to affect the other logical drives?

green granite
31st May 2009, 17:21
Not really, it will ask you where you want to install it when it detects multiple drives/partitions, providing you tell it the one that you want it to install to then there should be no problems but it will rename that partition as drive C:

Loose rivets
31st May 2009, 19:46
Thanks G-G.

I'd half finished another question, but since I'm now in the realms of Win 7 I'll transfer over to that thread so as to avoid duplication.

R