PDA

View Full Version : non airline work

zigmund
30th May 2009, 11:22
Hi Im just wondering can people here come up with a list of the kind of work you can do as a pilot that doesnt involve working for a commercial airline?

Im talking about things like transport of goods, working for the UN, etc.

I am just interested to see what else is out there, I understand you would be probably taking a massive drop in pay but I wonder would it be worth it so as to avoid commercial airlines.

Bealzebub
30th May 2009, 14:08
You make it sound as if commercial airlines are press-ganging (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=press-ganging) people into their companies. Not something you need to worry about really.

There is plenty of non airline aviation work, you must be aware of most of it surely?

Flying instruction
Agricultural flying
Air taxi
Parachute dropping
Glider towing
Arial photography
Arial survey
Corporate aviation
Charity missions
Government or NGO aviation
Fisheries protection
Banner towing
Oil spillage
Military flying
Display flying
The list goes on.

Will it pay well? In most cases (with one or two exceptions) I seriously doubt it, but if you want to "avoid" commercial airlines that presumably is of little concern.

zigmund
30th May 2009, 16:10
thanks for the list ,your talking to someone that doesnt know the piloting side of the industry that much, I work in maintenance, and was thinking in the long run of becoming a pilot, I just wanted a few ideas of other types of piloting jobs.

When I talk of avoiding airlines, I dont mean ive some agenda against them, its just Id like to move further away from the corporate type industrys in general.