PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice/help with Australian Aviation Industry

zoolander777
30th May 2009, 01:24
Hello Everyone,

I am a Canadian with a Canadian ATPL, Australian ATPL, 2300hrs TT, 600hrs multi on B1900D as F/O, 600 hrs on C208 and 900hrs pic.

I recently migrated to Australia and looking for work. I know the industry here is going through turbulent times but I would appreciate any advice or recommendations as to what I can do to obtain a flying job in Australia.

I am currently living in Sydney but, willing to relocate to any state so I can start flying again.

Thanks a lot!!!

The Green Goblin
30th May 2009, 02:41
Vincent Aviation in Darwin operate the 1900 along with Ad Astral in Perth. Apart from that they are not a very popular aircraft for the operators in Australia with the operating expense and increased cost of operating over something like a Metro.

There are a few Vans around, In Sydney they operate night freight with Jetcraft, Chartair in Darwin have them, Slingair in Kununurra, Polar in Port Hedland, Broome Aviation in Broome, Avwest in Perth. Not to sure about the majority over east but there is more than likely a few. Check the operators at every port from Cairns down.

Cobham are advertising for Dash 8 FO's right now, most aviation jobs are advertised on the Australian Federation of Airline pilots website.

With the recent collapse of Macair with Saab 340/Metro 23 pilots , the redundancy of 20 metro pilots from Pelair, Network laying of 8 Braz drivers, Ozjet ceasing operations with 737 drivers on the market and Skyairworld going belly up with E170/190 drivers floating around I think you'll be in for a tough time.

I hope the girl is worth it (or boy whichever the case may be) :cool:

Good Luck

zoolander777
30th May 2009, 07:44
Thanks a lot for the info!!!!! :ok:

I guess it must be quite obvious I moved here for a girl.......why else would someone give up a good flying gig and move halfway across the world during an economic downturn:ugh:

mates rates
30th May 2009, 09:57
westwing aviation Mt.Isa have B1900's in the system.They may need pilots for their Cairns base with 1900 time.

JulieFlyGal
30th May 2009, 10:08
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe you have the minimum requirements for all the majors Qantas, Jetstar,Virgin Blue, (but not Tiger since you need 1000 hours on turboprops or jet experience). Why not try em?

The Green Goblin
30th May 2009, 12:09
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe you have the minimum requirements for all the majors Qantas, Jetstar,Virgin Blue, (but not Tiger since you need 1000 hours on turboprops or jet experience). Why not try em?

They will be laying off guys before they hire, don't expect a start date before 2012 contrary to what the sausage factory's at the GAAP airports will have you believe :{

chimbu warrior
30th May 2009, 12:09
I haven't been up there for a while (ok........quite a while), but thought there was a Canadian outfit operating a Dash 7 out of Darwin to Timor for the UN. Might be worth looking into. Possibly Voyaguer?

ding duck
12th Jun 2009, 05:14
I :ugh:love Slingair

Pilotette
12th Jun 2009, 07:12
Feel the need to get something off your chest there Ding Duck?

Wanderin_dave
12th Jun 2009, 07:19
According to this months Australian Aviation Air South have a B1900D on line and one more coming. Know a couple of guys that worked there and they sound like a decent mob.