PDA

View Full Version : Overflight of Grand Canyon

sarboy w****r
29th May 2009, 16:21
I'm off to do some fixed wing hours building in the US later this year. I see from a chart that are special rules for the airspace over the Grand Canyon, but I can't find out what these are.

Does anyone know what these are? Has anyone been over the GC, and do you know whether it's possible for a single engine aircraft, day VFR?

Thanks,

SBW

learningtofly
29th May 2009, 17:23
Hi Sarboy!

Refer the site SkyVector.com - Aeronautical Charts - Flight Planning (http://skyvector.com/) for the US based FAA VFR charts. Punch in the airport identifier, like when i flew to Vegas with my Instructor we used Hendersen Executive (KHND). You'll have the chart and can refer it right away.
There's a note on the VFR chart i have with me now that says " Extensive concentration of tour operations daily between the grand canyon national park and the las vegas Class B airspace. All VFR traffic operating between these boundaries are encouraged to monitor/communicate on 120.65. ATC clearance required before entering the Las Vegas Class B Airspace"
My volatile memory cant recollect more than this, but all i can say is that the view is breathtaking and will last in your mind for a very long time. Having said that i'd also advice you to Fly Safe because of the Terrain.
And i think single engine VFR is permitted, given the conditions then.

Have a good one mate!

Cheers:ok:
Learning to Fly (Always will!)