PDA

View Full Version : XP Demand the disk.

tony draper
29th May 2009, 10:26
Pal of mine's son has bought a second hand puter,had a lot of probs with same so went out and bought a legit copy of XP on disk,loads it up and everything is hunky dory,switches his machine on this morning and the puter will not let him in and is demanding the XP installation disk be put in the drive?anybody got any idea what is going on?
:confused:

Saab Dastard
29th May 2009, 10:39
Has it been activated?

SD

kwachon
29th May 2009, 10:45
Go into the BIOS at startup and set the computer to boot from disc "C", assuming that is the main hard drive. I suspect it is set to boot from floppy/cd.

KW:ok:

tony draper
29th May 2009, 10:54
Sorry chaps got more info now,yer know what it's like trying to help someone over the phone the info is garbled,apparently the machine was defaulting to his dial up modem instead of his ethernet broadband,that's a different kettle of pigs altogether,because he loaded a new operating system he lost the drivers for the dial up,leastwise that's what I think,so the system is demanding the disk to look for said driver I suppose,might have a run up later and remove the modem from the machine altogether the lad is new to puters so it is a waste of time trying to help over the phone.
Apparently he still has thirty days to register his copy of XP Pro.
Thanks for the help anyway chaps.
:)