PDA

View Full Version : Assessment or Medical

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 08:36
Hi All,

Just a quick question,

Pay for a medical examination or pay for an assessment at Cabair first??

Chris

davepearsall
29th May 2009, 08:38
assessment as its cheaper

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 08:41
Yeah thats true :ok:

Only thing im thinking is if I were to fail a medical (which I dont think I would) id be wasteing my money on an assessment.

But I agree with you as it is cheaper and I can find out if I have the ability to complete the assessments.

Thanks.

davepearsall
29th May 2009, 08:45
what you don't want to do is pass the medical (£500) then fail assessment.

Have to go for the cheapest option first as contingency.

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 08:49
Why did I not think about that haha im just making it more complicated :ugh:

Thank you

GBB
29th May 2009, 09:02
If your aviation gig is going to finish at Cabair assessment in case of failure, go straight for assessment. If not, get medical first as you going to use it in the future anyway.

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 09:53
No I dont want just Cabair, but the reason I have selected Cabair at the moment is because it would suit me more than Oxford or CTC. I have applied for CTC and im "on hold".

I agree with the fact a medical should be done no matter what. How long does the medical last??

Whirlygig
29th May 2009, 10:06
Medical first - if you fail that, then your nascent aviation career is over. If you fail an assessment, you can do it again or follow a modular route.

A Clas 1 medical validity period depnds on your age - check out the CAA SRG website for the details. Last known cost was about £370 plus expenses of getting to Gatwick (where the initial has to be done).

You can always let your Class 1 lapse to a Class 2 for PPL purposes and then just renew to Class 1 standard (renewal criteria are not so stringent as initial).

Cheers

Whirls

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 10:41
Yeah its still the same price £370! Im 18 years old. What exactly do they test in the medical. Hearing, Sight but all together what do they look for?

Sorry for such a stupid question

ford cortina
29th May 2009, 11:04
It is all on the CAA website here.........

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med_InitialJARClass1%5B2188%5D.pdf

You want to be a pilot, you should sharpen up your skills, learn to be self reliant, took me 30 seconds to find that, but then I am only a FO on the 73:cool:

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 11:24
Funny :ok: Thank you

Well I did look but I did not find this page myself... oh well

Thank you anyway :)

markieboy1234
29th May 2009, 11:26
If you are 18 you will be fine! I am 18 and I passed mine easily last year. They just check your hearing, eyesight, blood, lungs and just general health. If you have not had any major medical problems you will pass easily!

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 12:03
Thank you.. Yeah I think I should pass easily to be honest..

What are you doing now? You on a course?

markieboy1234
29th May 2009, 12:26
I am about to start at OAA in September. What was the reason for you choosing Cabair as I had a look around there and prefered Oxford myself?

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 12:54
OAA is a fantastic academy, and the demand there is alot higher, however it seems alot more difficult to get onto the course. That is why I selected Cabair. Also the course looked more appealing to me.

What A Levels have you done/doing?

markieboy1234
29th May 2009, 14:01
I would agree with you that the selection at Oxford is hard, I was the only one on my selection to get through, well first time anyway.
I am doing Physics, History and Spanish with an AS in maths. I would not say that the A-Levels that you do are all that important as they are only really viewed by the FTO and airlines, will look at them, but will be more interested in your flying ability and personality.
What are you doing?

chrisy08
29th May 2009, 19:07
Yeah thats true!! Well Done for getting onto the course. Bet you cant wait :P only big issue is money :) how much is it totally including accomadation??

Im doing ICT, GeogrAPHY, and History

markieboy1234
30th May 2009, 09:31
Yes I am really looking forward to it. I can't remember what the exact course fee is but I can tell you that I will have to pay £4,567.86 for the accomodation from september till april, though this is payable week by week. However I think if an offer of a house comes up near by then I will most probably leave halls early. If you have a look on the OAA website then you will be able to get a course fee.

chrisy08
31st May 2009, 08:15
Bet you can't!! To become a pilot is my childhood dream and I really hope it will all go well. Fingers crossed!! Well done again for OAA!! I've got the brochure from OAA so I know the costs but I just wanted to know the full costs with everything not just the course. But dont worry :)

Thank You :ok:

Kiev23
31st May 2009, 09:39
How are you funding your training when your only 18 years old ?

GBB
31st May 2009, 09:47
Mom and Dad paying for it, thats why he doesnt even know how much is it.

markieboy1234
31st May 2009, 09:54
I just dont have the piece of paper at hand to say the exact amount.

davepearsall
31st May 2009, 10:08
£66,000 for course

£5,000 exam fees

Between £10,000 - £15,000 on accommodation and food depending how greedy and where you stay.

There is a funding presentation at skills assessment giving you a good idea of what your expenses will be, however I had worked out how much I needed to save a long time before this!

FlapsFive
31st May 2009, 10:16
What is it with this assumption that "Mum and Dad" are always the ones paying for integrated?

Relatively small percentage it actually applies to.

markieboy1234: Good luck - I'm starting there in January... :ok:

chrisy08: I did medical first, then assessment, but then I was pretty determined to fly no matter what (except of course if it turned out I was utterly s**t at flying :}).

If the assessment is the be-all-and-end-all (which I don't think it is in your case) then assessment first, but otherwise for the reasons that Whirlygig gave, medical first I'd say!

FF

Whirlygig
31st May 2009, 10:25
What is it with this assumption that "Mum and Dad" are always the ones paying for integrated?

Relatively small percentage it actually applies to.
I do not know how an 18 year old would be able to pay for an integrated course other than parental/familial help/assistance (or large inheritance!!).

Cheers

Whirls

ford cortina
31st May 2009, 14:57
Large inheritance......now there's an idea, wish I had thought of that several years ago, bit late at 39 with a job:eek:.

Never mind I could still grease the top step of my parents staircase.:ok::ok:
Now where did I leave the floor polish:eek:

chrisy08
31st May 2009, 18:24
You know what its not always mum and dad. There is alot of help and assistance out there to help you with the course costs!!

Thanks people who are actually being helpful :ok:

Whirlygig
31st May 2009, 19:45
There is alot of help and assistance out there to help you with the course costs!!
Such as? There are a few scholarships like GAPAN or Air league but they do not cover the full costs.

Why not share with other wannabees what help and assistance is available? Which banks perhaps that are giving unsecured loans to 18 year olds? Any other schemes around that people may not be aware of? Not for my benefit of course. :}

Cheers

Whirls

chrisy08
31st May 2009, 21:48
BBVA AGREES TO FUND CABAIR STUDENTS
We are all well aware that funding your training is the fundamental hurdle to tackle when planning your airline career. Cabair College of Air Training are delighted to announce that we have secured access to funding for the First Officer Direct Integrated course from BBVA.
BBVA is a global group that offers individual and corporate customers the most complete range of financial and non-financial products and services. It enjoys a solid leadership position in the Spanish market, where it first began its activities over 150 years ago.

It also has a leading franchise in South America; it is the largest financial institution in Mexico; one of the 25 largest banks in the United States in terms of assets and one of the few large intrernational groups operating in China. BBVA employs 112,000 people in over 30 countries around the world, has more than 47 million customers and 890,000 shareholders.
On successful completion of our Pilot Assessment, you will be given details of how to apply to BBVA. They will consider funding the full course fee, living expenses over the period of the course, and a contingency fund for a type conversion course, if required.
Every application is considered on an individual basis, and the bank will try to be flexible regarding security for the loan. There is an 18 month repayment free window, which covers the training period, with a few months extra, to allow you to get a job start earning again before commencing the repayments.

Little something from Cabair website about funding help just thought i'd mention it :ok:

Whirlygig
31st May 2009, 22:11
and the bank will try to be flexible regarding security for the loan.
Ah, the innocence of youth. What security would that be then? It'll be your parents house. Or your own house of course :}

Cheers

Whirls

chrisy08
31st May 2009, 22:18
Clearly your going to read terms and conditions but at the end of the day its proven there is help and you clearly can't face the fact you were wrong so had to pick a point... Most people cant afford the payments of the courses so there needs to be help out there...

So have you been a pilot before then?

C

Whirlygig
31st May 2009, 22:57
So have you been a pilot before then?
As per my profile, I have a CPL(H). Don't want airline, don't want fixed wing, but I do want young wanabees to be aware of the pitfalls.

Cheers

Whirls

Kiev23
1st Jun 2009, 09:15
I totally agree with wirlywig, your gonna have to secure the loan against your parents house. There is funding available yehh but with no gurantee of a job and a huge loan secured against a house you dont actually own.personally i wouldnt do that not that my parents would let me secure 70 - 80 K against the house anyway.

chrisy08
1st Jun 2009, 09:48
Well im glad you are looking out for us as you are more mature and have years more experience in the field than us youngsters.

Kiev23, yes it is a huge loan with no garentee of employment straight away, but why does everyone keep mentioning parents home.. thats not the only way to secure it.

Thanks

C :)

Kiev23
1st Jun 2009, 09:56
Fair doooos pal.....I hope everything works out for you.........

:):)

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2009, 10:20
but why does everyone keep mentioning parents home.. thats not the only way to secure it.Because banks require security for loans given in case of default. Land and property is about the only security they'll accept. Whilst the security may not be your parents' house (I did say it could be your own house!!), it will be someone's property; grandparents' rich uncle etc.

Therefore, if you do not own your own property, then the security must be someone else's and the only people who are likely to put their own property on the line for someone to train as a pilot, will be family.

In all my years of dealing with banks (for a living), I am not aware of any circumstance in which a bank would lend to an 18 year old with no job without parental guarantees. Gee, even to rent a flat, you'll probably need parental guarantees.

If you know any better, please don't be coy - share it with us. I am more than happy to be proved wrong if there's a scenario I've overlooked.

Cheers

Whirls

GBB
1st Jun 2009, 10:28
Everybody mentioning parents house becasue a boy/girl at 18-19 straight out of high school doesnt even OWN a pair of underwear! Your parents bought it for you.
You boys/girls seems to talk very "lightly" about HUGE money such as 80K and its beacuse you have no clue about real value of money.

FlapsFive
1st Jun 2009, 11:02
its beacuse you have no clue about real value of money
I take the rest of your points on board, GBB, but to be honest I find that last one a bit insulting.

I'm not the oldest person on these forums but I can handle money and comprehend its associated risks. I havn't got a spare £70k lying around and in fact no one I know does. I've been lucky and I've been unlucky when it comes to funding my training but all my efforts are aimed at reducing the risk.

Any form of training is about calculating risk and none more so than the good old "Integrated or Modular" debate (and nowadays the "MPL or fATPL" debate).

I suppose at the end of the day it depends upon your circumstances, the economic situation, your attitude and the attitude of those supporting you and from whom you have taken advice, how much of that advice you have actually listened to and your personal opinion.

I deplore any implication that anyone doing an integrated course therefore must be minted, must have rich parents and hasn't research the industry or even doesn't clearly understand the idea of a £40/50/60/70/80k loan.

FF

destinationsky
1st Jun 2009, 11:46
hi
i have my class 1 medical booked for the 15th. im not sure where everybody is getting their figures from? i paid £330 for the class one initial. you only pay more if you need further investigation.

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2009, 12:16
I deplore any implication that anyone doing an integrated course therefore must be minted, must have rich parents and hasn't research the industry or even doesn't clearly understand the idea of a £40/50/60/70/80k loan.
That is not the implication given here; the implication given here is that anyone aged 18 doing an integrtaed course must be ... etc etc.

Flaps, if you're 18, as I said to Chris, why not tell us how you'd have funded an integrated course without financial assistance from your family. If you're not 18, then the implications don't apply!

Destinationsky - looks like the costs have, miraculously gone because the fee was definitely £370 a couple fo years ago.

Cheers

Whirls

sgt_bilko
1st Jun 2009, 13:03
I believe it has been reduced as a Chest X-ray is no longer required for Class 1 (from the CAA website).

I have done the Class 1 initial recently and it cost £330.

FlapsFive
2nd Jun 2009, 13:53
Right, well basically my funding is something like this:

eBay - buying and selling at a higher price... not to be taken lightly but it works if you pick the right things

I own/run my own web-design business with a friend, and although we don't do a huge amount of trade it covers a few extra costs

Government Maintenece Grant & Loan - Both are available for OAA because of the Bucks New Uni Foundation Degree... the loan repayments are so minute as to almost be not worth considering (can't remember off the top of my head, but we are talking literally only a few pounds per month), and of course the grant you don't have to pay back.

BBVA loan as mentioned above, covers quite a bit of the costs, but I am by no means going for the full amount.

Savings that I've made from the age of about 6... and no I didn't get hundreds of pounds a week in pocket money... I think it was £1/week to begin with, combined with birthday/christmas money, a good interest rate etc.

I do have a small amount coming from relatives, however it by no means makes up a significant amount of the total.

Also I have a job, which feeds into my savings.

I hope some of this information is useful to some people out there!! :ok:

FF

davepearsall
2nd Jun 2009, 16:15
FlapsFive - sounds like a carbon copy of what I have been doing :ok:

chrisy08
10th Jun 2009, 10:23
Clearly thought about it very well. Well im glad you have stuck by your childhood dream.

Is anyone currently at Oxford, Cabair, CTC or any other academy and how did yo get your money together?

Chris