PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand

Loose rivets
29th May 2009, 06:45
Going back to my old hard disc was going to be more time consuming that I could bare to think about, but it had to be done. Now I've got a setting in Explorer that I've never seen before, since Windows was spawned.

I usually show Details, and Folders, but now the right screen is showing all the contents divided up into horizontal alphabetical sections with a bold letter under the folders or files. I can find nothing in Tools Options that can explain it and indeed would never have set it like this.

All I want is a computer that stays the same every time I turn the f:mad:ing thing on. Anyone know what's wrong this time?

BOAC
29th May 2009, 07:31
View/Arrange Icons by/show in groups - guess u dunnit:)

seacue
29th May 2009, 09:47
Thank you, BOAC. I was recently favoured :mad: by that change when I display the contents of CDs. A recent Windows Update must have had this unwanted effect. :mad:

frostbite
29th May 2009, 11:48
Have a look at Power Desk (free). I've been using it for many years and wouldn't go back to Explorer.

bnt
29th May 2009, 11:48
IIRC, some "context-sensitive" behaviour is lumped under something called "Folder Tasks" in Explorer. Look for that setting under Tools/Options, turn it off, and see if that helps?

Capot
29th May 2009, 13:48
I just don't understand

I was first introduced to a computer screen and processor when our remote sales office was hooked into the company reservation system (piggybacked onto the BOAC (BA?) system), in 1973 or 1974, I forget. I remember saying to the nerd in charge of the installation "I just don't understand" quite often.

The last time I said "I just don't understand" about a computer problem was a hour ago when my router implacably refused to let me collect data via a VPN.

Working on an assumption that I have said "I just don't understand" about a computer system at least 5 times every working day since 1974, usually followed by "****** computers", that's 42,000 times I have said it. and I still just don't understand.

Loose rivets
29th May 2009, 16:38
I opened my thread in fear and trepidation this morning. Breathing my depressed frustration onto the computer forum...bad form...bad show old boy, where's that stiff upper lip? Quivering...I says to myself.

Now, not only have I got the answer, there's a chance that I wasn't responsible, and I've been cheered up by the humor.

Thanks everyone.:)