PDA

View Full Version : Broadband: LLU v/s IPStreamMax

fred peck
28th May 2009, 10:01
I'm with Orange and get 2.1Mbps. I did a line speed check with several of the online checkers and should be able to get 6.5Mbps.

So I upgraded to "up to 8Mbps" with Orange (expecting 6.5) but still get only 2.1.

They now tell me that the exchange is "LLU" and only capable of 2.1. To get faster they need "IPStream Max" at the exchange which is dependant on BT upgrading.

Samknows.com confirms my exchange is LLU but still gives a speed of 6.5 to my location.

Anyone know who's correct here and if I should continue chasing Orange (or indeed if I should change ISP would I then get 6.5?)

green granite
28th May 2009, 11:03
You could try asking you're neighbours what speed they get or even ask BT what the max speed is for the exchange.

Jofm5
28th May 2009, 12:22
LLU = Local Loop Un-bundling, this is the concept introduced by ofcom to force BT to allow other ISP's access to the copper from the exchange to your home - this is done by the ISP installing their own equipment in the exchange and BT forward on all ISP activities to that equipment.

This will not have an effect on the bandwidth you are seeing as the bandwidth is determined by the line conditions between yourself and the exchange. Typical factors that will affect the bandwidth will be the distance from the exchange - this is electrical length rather than physical distance as the cable may not take a "as the crow flies" path to the exchange.

Typical reasons for a reduction in bandwidth can be found in your home - the use of unshielded extension cables etc can have a big impact as can running the telecoms cable from the DSL modem near AC cables. For optimum speed you should plug your DSL modem into the BT Master socket and avoid any power cables etc running near as these can introduce noise onto the line.

Cornish Jack
28th May 2009, 14:38
Wouldn't bother trying to get Orange to do ANYTHING to improve your speed. Useless bunch of ^%&$!!**s. The ONLY way I managed to get any increase in speed on my Orange connection (from a low point of 700Ks - yes, 700Ks) was to buy and fit an Iplate. This upped my best speed from 1.4 to 1.9. Can't get to the end of my signed-for contract soon enough, to be done with these clowns. But, having tried AOL. BT. and Tiscali previously (all equally awful) where to go for anything approaching reasonable service??

Senior Paper Monitor
28th May 2009, 14:57
Virgin cable for best product (if available in your location).

Utilities Warehouse for best service & limited contract term at competitive price.

PM me if you want more info

Cornish Jack
28th May 2009, 22:02
Thanks for the offer SPM but I've got to stick with this useless bunch for another 10 months to complete the contract - (I'm certainly not going to pay the barstewards any penalty money) Perhaps there will be different options by then? Ever hopeful:ugh::ugh:

amanoffewwords
29th May 2009, 06:37
where to go for anything approaching reasonable service??

I moved from Virgin Cable to O2 ADSL 2-3 months ago - very impressed with their service, they set me up in about 3-4 working days from the order date and kept me informed at each stage of the order process + contacted me a couple of weeks later to ask if everything was ok. Since then 100% uptime and a good speed throughout (usually around 2.3mb/s) - it's advertised as up to 10 but, to quote an MP, "it does me nicely".