PDA

View Full Version : RT Question

VFR Transit
27th May 2009, 21:31
I am flying to an Airport in east anglia and have been passed the frequency of the people who are handling my flight, it says contact ops on 133.45 prior to arrival. can anyone tell me what i need to say on this frequency and when should i call them up?

Thanks
VFR

Runaway Gun
27th May 2009, 22:47
Depends on what sort of flight you are doing, and what they need to know...

But if you can contact them 20-30 mins out, with ETA, POB, and any requirments you may have (eg stairs, external power etc) it's a great start.

mad_jock
27th May 2009, 23:54
15 mins out and they will want ETA and if you require fuel or not. On that freq you will get swamped by every high level CAT traffic out there with the same handler in multiple airports.

Don't worry about it.

Use "G-xxxx, Handler callsign, including airport" eg "G-ABCD, Speedy Brum", Which translates to "G-ABCD, Speedbird Birmingham"
When they eventually answer after getting stepped on a few times.
"Speedy Brum, estimating at minute xx request avgas fuel on arrival G-ABCD" or for that matter "negative fuel".

I use speedy brum because there will be zero chance you will used them as a handler but it does show that the handling frequency's are quite a bit more or can be more informal than ATC ones.

The reply will probably be "roger see you on the ground G-xxxx"

You will hear loads of other calls to different airports with a load of stuff you will have never heard of before which will be data for the load sheets for the next sector and any service requirements. It won't be as correct RT as your used to on ATC don't worry about it.

VFR Transit
28th May 2009, 07:10
Excellent and thanks for the help. :ok:

VFR

DB6
28th May 2009, 08:22
Another option is to phone them up before you go and ask them what details they want from you - not a bad idea as they can sometimes tell you lots of other stuff if you haven't been there before e.g. where you can expect to go after landing, how much it will cost, arrange car hire etc..