View Full Version : D-Day, the bloody French and some Xenophobic Brits

Ken Wells
27th May 2009, 19:07
Read today that the Queen is not invited to the D-Day commemorations in Normandy next month.

Only Dozy -Sarkozy deemed Germany and USA worthy to be invited.

Considering The Queen is the only surviving head of state from this grave era and the untold sacrifice made by the allies this it is an utter disgrace.

We took my Father in law and Father to the 60th commemorations 5 years ago.

My father in law Alex who now lives with us was on the Gold Beach D-Day landing.
He tells of being the second jeep off one of the landing craft and seeing the first one disappear under water in front of him.
The occupants floated to the surface and they moved closer.

As they drove up the beach, is was chaos being 1 hour into the landing.

60 years ago we drove from Bayeaux to the Gold Beach. With road blocks everywhere. Manned by very smart Gendarmes. At every stop we where asked for invitation, and we produced passports and British Legion paperwork (but no official invitation to get to the beach.)

At the last Road block, a very official Gendarme informed us we could not get any closer without an invitation. I had a Convertible Volvo then and with the roof down in glorious sunshine we sat there in Blazers, Father and in law decorated with medals.
My wife and I smartly attired. Alex indicated to the Officer to come closer.

“Do you speak English” he asked in a touristy loud voice
“Qui “PC responded

“If I didn’t need an invitation 60 years ago, I bloody don’t need one now!”
Shouted Alex.:ok:

The Gendarme looked shocked! Reviewed the motley crew before him and signalled to 2 Police Bikes to take us directly to the reserve parking in the town.

He smartly saluted and we drove to the car park in convoy.

Once on the beach the dignitaries paraded for the magnificent fly past attended by

At this occasion the Queen, Mitterrand, Bush, and German Chancellor.
Stood on a grand podium, Blair and Pillar Box had to stand at the rear as they where NOT heads of state. (Priceless)

My Father in law got to stand on the Beach, 1st time in 60years, tears strolling down his cheeks and was interviewed by SKY news drinking a cup of tea from a restored NAFFI Red Cross Caravan.

So I say to the Queen, go anyway we did not need an invitation 65years ago and no “Cheese eating surrender monkey can ask for one now!” Merde

Rollingthunder
27th May 2009, 19:15
So I say to the Queen, go anyway. We did not need an invitation 65years ago

Seconded.....

racedo
27th May 2009, 19:24
Are we sure not invited or couldn't attend.

al446
27th May 2009, 19:26
Landing craft will pick you up at 08.00 Ma'am. You're on your own after landing:ok:

arcniz
27th May 2009, 19:34
First-rate post, Ken Wells. Bravo!

hellsbrink
27th May 2009, 19:40
Are we sure not invited or couldn't attend.

Sarkozy stated there was no intention of inviting Her Maj

Lon More
27th May 2009, 19:44
So I say to the Queen, go anyway

Sarkozy has said that she is welcome to attend as an invitation was sent to the British government and who then attends is up to them.

Rollingthunder
27th May 2009, 19:46
HM actually fought in the war. Sarkozy was an itty-bitty spermatosa in his father's balls at the time, but even then an ignorant prat.

hellsbrink
27th May 2009, 19:49
And he doesn't understand the concept of "Head of State"

larssnowpharter
27th May 2009, 20:00
Good post, Ken.

Ffech the Ffrogs I say.

Had some business at a local Ffrench embassy a while back and turned up to find the place closed.

'Probleme?, one asked in 4th Form Ffrench.

'Oui', said uniformed flunkie. 'Nous sommes closed'.

'Pourquoi', one responded with a sense of irritation.

'C'est le jour de victoire', said 'uniformed flunkie' with a sense of a combined '**** you' and 'buggah off you feckin rost bif'.

'Victoire?', one asked innocently.

'Le Victoire, Allemagne' and then gabbled on in fffroggie fer a bit.

'Non, Crecy, Agincourt, Waterloo, or Trafalgar?' one said with a pained expression.

All I can suggest to Aunty Betty is that she turn up uninvited as a veteran of that particular conflict and with an absolute right to be there in that capacity!

tony draper
27th May 2009, 20:00
Perhaps the shortarsed spunkbubble don't want to stand next to HM because she is taller than him.
:rolleyes:

11Fan
27th May 2009, 20:03
Go to Google.

Type this:

French Military Victories

Hit "I'm feeling lucky"

Der absolute Hammer
27th May 2009, 20:09
Queen Elizabeth (http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ourstore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=268) http://www.sierratoysoldier.com/ourstore/pc/catalog/BR-Cerm/BR43052%28M%29.jpg

After repeated pleas to her father King George VI, HRH Princess Elizabeth was allowed to join the ATS in the final months of the war. She worked at Camberley, where she learned how to service and drive lorries (trucks). Scale 1:32 / 54mm, finished in a traditional Gloss finish.

You cannot necessarily expect one government to send an invitation for such an event other than directly to another government. But you could certainly expect the recipient of that invitation, the British Government or Foregin Office (Ed Milliband?) in this case, to have the courtesy to pass it on and to include the most appropriate invitee. No, I think that this is not so much a French antic as it is yet another example of the monstrous orgulosity of your present government.

Rollingthunder
27th May 2009, 20:12
PM meets with HM once a week to "discuss" things (usually). This topic will have been brought up.

Der absolute Hammer
27th May 2009, 20:18
Then, since HM can drive a lorry, she should have had no problem putting her foot down on a Scotsman?

Rollingthunder
27th May 2009, 20:22
ohh, don't tempt me, absolute hammers, germans....

Der absolute Hammer
27th May 2009, 20:25
Brew the best beer in the world?

Rollingthunder
27th May 2009, 20:27
OK, granted.

Sorry real beer UK enthusiasts.:)

Wholigan
27th May 2009, 20:47
Brew the best beer in the world?

Gesamttestikel !!! (or summat like that anyway)
:E

mr fish
27th May 2009, 21:25
"germans brew the best beer in the world",

since when did they start brewing NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE then??

seven bottles+fish&chips,

worth fighting for!!!!

pzu
27th May 2009, 21:37
Surely someone could lay on a 'Nav-ex' via Normandy for the the two Princes!!!
with a diversion by Buck House or Windsor as appropriate!!!

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

sitigeltfel
27th May 2009, 21:46
Despite what spin the Elysee Palace try to put on this gaffe, they only succeed in digging a bigger hole.....

The criticism is not just British. It came with force today from Jean-Michel Aphatie, a commentator who is feared in the political world. Sarkozy's attempt to stage an epic lone appearance with Obama was a huge mistake, Aphatie wrote on the internet. "It is impossible to honour the memory of the dead without associating the leaders of the countries which took part in the sacrifice...French diplomacy has landed itself in a glorious mess."
"This episode illustrates an obsession of French leaders: forever measuring themselves against American power. We live in the illusion of a tête-à-tête with America..."
Sarko may be the leader of a European power, but he has a lot to learn about diplomacy.

Tempsford
27th May 2009, 21:50
Probably the last time that many Dunkirk veterans will be able to travel to Dunkirk to remember 70th annivesary of Operation Dynamo arises next year. I do hope that arrangements are being made for that and then Crete, Dieppe, St. Nazaire, Bruneval, Telemark, Tobruk and many, many more to be remembered. - (not to mention Singapore, Hong Kong etc.)

Many of the engagements I mention were in essence defeats for the 'allies', but they should still be remembered. We only seem to make a spectacle about victories. Many of our servicemen were never involed in a victory or indeed the final victory.

It is important for those actually involved who want to make one last visit to see where they fought and also their fallen comrades. Let the politicians make fools of themselves, lets face it although French politicians are good at making a spectacle of themselves, they are not alone.

Accept it that the French government struggle with the British involvement in WW2. According to many Frenchmen, we let them down at Dunkirk.

If we ensure that as many veterans get one last chance to visit their battelfields without the razzmataz of high profile, staged events that probably many of them would feel uncomfortable attending then I for one would be more than glad to contribute.

Let todays politicians play their sad games, ignore them, but lets not ignore the few who are left of the generation who fought not to allow those politicians to behave the way they do, but to look out for their mates and to safeguard their families.

Gets' off soap box

sitigeltfel
27th May 2009, 21:56
Surely someone could lay on a 'Nav-ex' via Normandy for the the two Princes!!!

Not a good idea. Harry has a habit of turning up at functions in the wrong uniform!

Der absolute Hammer
28th May 2009, 06:56
Well yes, but then he is cousin to the late Kaiser Wilhelm is he not?

Beatriz Fontana
28th May 2009, 08:25
Apparently, the panic is over, the Queen can attend (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189057/French-D-Day-surrender-Sarkozy-makes-U-turn-says-Queen-IS-welcome-65th-anniversary.html).

(I link to the Daily Mail as the headline is predictably anti-French)

Squawk7777
28th May 2009, 08:56
Great posts! Let's just blame the ordinary people for c0ck-ups by their beloved politicians. :hmm: :rolleyes:

Ain't xenophobia great!

Rollingthunder
28th May 2009, 09:28
Tory defence spokesman Gerald Howarth said: 'Given Britain's massive contribution to the liberation of Europe it is scandalous the British government has failed to secure a place for the Royal Family. It is an insult to the 83,000 British and Canadian troops who landed on D-Day --alongside 73,000 Americans - and the hundreds of thousands who followed.
Falklands War veteran Simon Weston said: 'Mr Brown just seems to miss the point when it comes to the military, and anything to do with veterans seems to be a grudging afterthought.'

Daily Mail

Ken Wells
28th May 2009, 10:34
After the War, American French relations got worse.

De Gaulle drove General Eisenhower mad with frustration, re USA bases in France.

De Gaulle then demanded that all American forces should leave French soil by a certain date as an ultimatum.

Eisehhower replied " does that include the thousands that are buried under French soil?"

He never got a reply!!!! Merde

tony draper
28th May 2009, 10:40
I read that Eisenhower wanted De Gaul assassinated even before the invasion, which would have been poetic justice as De Gaul was not above having his rivals bumped off,Churchill talked him out of it,which was one of Winston's worst mistakes.
:uhoh:

Der absolute Hammer
28th May 2009, 11:08
No it was not. De Gaulle was, for France, as Churchill had been for England and Hitler for Germany and so on - for a specific period of time the only man who could lead their country towards some sort of national pride and economic solidity.
Each man in his turn, one way or the other , was let down or destroyed by his own character faults. But then if you examine the pages of history I am sure you will find that all charismatic leaders, capable of rousing a people, self destruct in the end. It is obvious enough that it is to be hoped that these geniuses of history self destruct before they destroy too many people as a consequence of theit actions! Pace one and all!
The great exception to this of course in the last century was Stalin who ruled through absolute fear and exterminated to such an extent as to make the Nazis appear rank amateurs. Perhaps it was the fear of failure and the machine gun emplacements behind them that drove the Russian soldiers on the Eastern front to literally smother the German lines, thereby ensuring German defeat in the east as the Americans ensured it in the west.
Incidentally, Kaiser Wilhelm, the Kaiser from WW1 went to live in Holland after the Great War. The Dutch refused to extradite him to England in 1920 as a war criminal. He refused an offer of asylum from Churchill in 1940 and he died the next year under German occupied Holland.

mtanz0
28th May 2009, 13:21
Silly French, they never forgave us for rescuing them from the Germans, and also reminding them how people fight.

Der absolute Hammer
28th May 2009, 14:06
You will forgive me please?- But is it not more lilely that they do not look too kindly on the constant verbage abuse to which they are subjected. Especially those under General Blanchard at Dunkirk who, astounded that Lord Gort wished to retreat with the British army, held the perimeters so that others could push off north bound.
The Belguans had, of course, already surrendered by this time, but not, I think , because they did not know how to fight.

Capt.KAOS
28th May 2009, 14:28
eisenhower assasinate de gaulehmm not sure about that. Funny enough they had quite a good relation and Eisenhower respected de Gaulle as a soldier. De Gaulle was indeed difficult to deal with but Eisenhower knew how to handle this better than anyone else and that's why he was such a great Commander and President.

"I take away with me from Paris the warmth and strength of your friendship, which I appreciate now more than ever… and I have for you yourself a respect and an admiration that I feel for few other men.""I take away with me from Paris the warmth and strength of your friendship, which I appreciate now more than ever… and I have for you yourself a respect and an admiration that I feel for few other men." (Eisenhower, Paris, 1960)

MagnusP
28th May 2009, 14:36
Apparently he had a terrible stammer . . .

sorry

tony draper
28th May 2009, 15:23
Sorry one misremembered, twas Roosevelt who hated De Gaul of course and like Henry hoped someone would rid him of this Meddlesome General,everybody else just disliked him intensely.
:)

frostbite
28th May 2009, 15:26
The only thing de Gaulle had going for him was wanting to block UK entry into the EU.

Do wish he'd had his way.

tony draper
28th May 2009, 15:49
Hmmm! one had forgot about that ,Jolly good chap that De Gaul bloke was what what!

airship
28th May 2009, 16:35
Well, it's just an observation (yawn), but HM Queen Elizabeth II hasn't had very much to say about ongoing tribulations concerning Her MPs expenses neither - only I was awaiting her speech dissolving Parliament and calling for new elections...?!

So perhaps She's just been asleep the past few weeks (might also explain not replying RSVP to any 2009 (65th year) D-Day commemorations. Didn't hear her rise to the occasion of supporting the Gurkhas most recently either (or perhaps she's merely allowed Ms. Lumley the limekight for the present)...?!

Do we still have a Queen...?! :}

tony draper
28th May 2009, 17:08
Apparently the Queen no longer has the power to dissolve Parliament ,someone asked the self same question on the Telly a few days ago,the answer supprised me as well missus Queen can no longer sackem,wonder when that power was withdrawn,they certainly kept very quiet about it.

Low Flier
28th May 2009, 17:38
HM is the titular head of Britain's armed forces. Not to invite her was an appalling snub to Britain.

As for declaring the gig to be a Franco-Yank thing, that too is appalling. If Obama bin Borat had any balls he'd have included a message in his invitation-acceptance stating that he expected to be seated next to Britain's Head of State at the formalities.

I propose that Madame Sarko have her knicks drawn down to her ankles and she be given a damned good spanking in front of the Cenotaph.

I nominate Phil the Greek to administer the punishment and suggest that Rupert the Dirty Digger be given exclusive telly rights, with the proviso that the close-up shots also be broadcast on GooChoob.

elpilotofrances
28th May 2009, 17:51
how much it will cost to you, poor english tax payer, to move your queen to normandy and back ?
Maybe you want an "invitation" to have the travel free???

Low Flier
28th May 2009, 18:09
It'll cost us a hell of a lot less than it cost us on June 6th, 1944.

Ken Wells
28th May 2009, 18:18
Do we still have a Queen...?!

Peter Mandleson,

But we still have reigning Monarch, which is more than the French have!

Ken Wells
28th May 2009, 18:23
how much it will cost to you, poor english tax payer, to move your queen to normandy and back
Maybe you want an "invitation" to have the travel free??? ?

Shame we didn't query the costs to save your sorry derrière in the first place
Froggy!

Tercarley
28th May 2009, 18:29
Someone tell epilotfrances that we spell Queen as in QUEII with a capital Q not a lower case q!!!! The only time its spelt as it was in that post is when Mandelson visits France.

1DC
28th May 2009, 18:37
I'm sure we are in for a round of buck passing, but the french are now saying that HM wasn't invited cos the robber gordon said he would represent Britain.Initially the robber said that Britain was going to play the anniversary low key and only got his arse into gear when the veterans started to kick up a fuss.

Blacksheep
28th May 2009, 19:01
Precisely. The French sent the invitation government to government as protocol requires. Gormless Gordon decided to send the head of state instead of the Queen.

As one of HM's predeccessors once asked, "Who will rid me of this troublesome....."

Juud
28th May 2009, 19:31
Some people here should step away from their keyboard and switch on their brain before sitting back down to PPRune some more.

From the PPRuNe Mil-forum:

On my first(and to-date, only,) sally abroad, I visited the Limousin area of rural France.
People extremely friendly and welcoming. WW 2 memorials prominent and not just the major one in the village square....odd ones dotted about the countryside, all immaculately kept and with a posy of fresh flowers often prominent.

Mount Gargon has a tribute with the RAF roundel prominent and a description of the resupply of the Resistance, by the British.
It was not alone, I saw several other examples marking "The RAF was here"

A monument to Violette Szabo stands at a bleak road-fork in the middle of nowhere...but was decorated with a Tricolore and a Union Jack, both in excellent,clean, unworn condition, clean, shiny marble,flowers.
All this in an area about as populated as the Highlands of Jockistan.

Sod the politicians.....the French people don't forget.

A lot of other interesting posts on that thread; written by people who think with their cerebrum rather than their large intestine.

Um... lifting...
28th May 2009, 19:58
Juud-
Indeed.
On first working visit to France some 3-ish years ago, took some time to ramble about the Mediterranean coast as one was working around Marseille.
Each little coastal village (La Ciotat, Bandol, Cassis, etc.) had a war memorial on or near the seawall with the appropriate recognition (American, generally, in that part of the country). All well-maintained.
Mostly, the politicians and talking heids know little of what they speak and the antagonisms are mostly among the chattering classes.

Rollingthunder
28th May 2009, 20:01
Hmmm, title change, no worries, we won the war in spite of every bloody thing.

BenThere
28th May 2009, 20:02
I spent two years, off and on, over a span of five years, in Provence, Juud.

During that time I was hosted as a guest of honor at the Aubagne HQ of the Foreign Legion, attended a somber rembembrance at the Draguignan American cemetery, and was regaled on the private winery site of a US B-24 crash by the owners of the land as an American in uniform. That crash has been remembered and the deceased soldiers celebrated every year on Memorial Day since the end of the war. I visited the battlefields and cemeteries of Normandy, too, and found nothing but gracious reception wherever I went.

I have not now, and never had, any quarrel with the French people's respect for American efforts to recover their country after its loss during WWII, because I've seen their decency with my own eyes. The anti-Americanism of Paris during the days of Chirac was a blip of political expediency fomented by a temporary loss of sense and a widespread ignorance of modern history as I see it.

We Americans are often subject to such ignorance ourselves, I'm sorry to say. France was an integral part, and played a vital role in our liberty from Great Britain. I remember that, too.

Rollingthunder
28th May 2009, 20:11
Xenophobic?

You can include the Canadians, who were there in numbers, and want HM to attend, she is a buddy. Eh?

Must admit the French folks take good care of our cemetaries.

We do take these things very seriously, rememberance and all that, can I say that more seriously? Can I?

Will Fraser
28th May 2009, 20:26
Your all damn lucky we didn't wait to see who would settle out after your ridiculous obeisance to the Austrian corporal. Manners, indeed. We could have waited until it was the fat and flatulent cigar monkey, the twenty-five pound nose, or the twitchy brainpocked squirt who soiled himself regularly.

Gents, we all came out ok, No? I thank God for my parents, each day, and yours too.
Big Balls, those, and Ovaries, too.

Will, 'murrican

Ken Wells
28th May 2009, 21:22
I would like to know which tosser added "some Xenophobic Brits" to the thread title.

It certainly was not the originater of the thread!!!!!:mad:

Obviously a demented garlic loving cretin!!!

If you want to start your own thread, please do but do not alter other people's titles

MODS pull your finger out as I cannot seem to edit the title back to it original , minius Xenophobic Brits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :=

tony draper
28th May 2009, 21:25
Ere, I think only Mods can modify a thread title.:confused:

racedo
28th May 2009, 21:34
Looks clearly like French followed diplomatic protocol is issuing invitation 6 months ago but HM Govt cocked it up.

Capt.KAOS
28th May 2009, 21:45
The Merci* Train (http://mercitrain.org/)

The Merci Train was a train of 49 French railroad box cars filled with tens of thousands of gifts of gratitude from at least that many individual French citizens. They were showing their appreciation for the more than 700 American box cars of relief goods sent to them by (primarily) individual Americans in 1948. The Merci Train arrived in New York harbor on February 3rd, 1949 and each of the 48 American states at that time received one of the gift laden box cars. The 49th box car was shared by Washington D.C. and the Territory of Hawaii.

*Merci = thanks in French

Davaar
28th May 2009, 21:52
Gormless Gordon decided to send the head of state instead of the Queen.

Am I understanding this correctly? The head of state IS the Queen.

eharding
28th May 2009, 22:27
I would like to know which tosser added "some Xenophobic Brits" to the thread title.

It certainly was not the originater of the thread!!!!!:mad:

Obviously a demented garlic loving cretin!!!

If you want to start your own thread, please do but do not alter other people's titles

MODS pull your finger out as I cannot seem to edit the title back to it original , minius Xenophobic Brits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :=

You tell 'em, Ken.

Er...Ken........Ken?...Keeeeeeeeen?

Where's he gone? He was here a minute ago.....

frostbite
28th May 2009, 22:36
written by people who think with their cerebrum rather than their large intestine.

I think we're under attack here chaps!

Bluddy furriners.

Blacksheep
28th May 2009, 22:42
Am I understanding this correctly? The head of state IS the Queen.You're too far off in Canada to understand what New Labour have done to the old country, Davaar. :(

Her Majesty no longer exercises the Royal Prerogative and Gormless Gordon believes himself head of state, fountain of all favour and Master of the Universe. Her Majesty is relegated to Head of State, a mere ceremonial function while Gormless Gordon micro-manages everything himself. It is he and not our French friends who failed to deliver the invitation to Buckingham Palace.

Gordon. Great Leader. Until next June...

... at the very latest :E

tony draper
28th May 2009, 23:08
Hmmm,just out of interest anybody know who the shortest serving PM was?

racedo
28th May 2009, 23:13
Pitt the Midget probably as he was between Pitt the Elder and Pitt the Younger.

Ok will get my coat.....

tony draper
28th May 2009, 23:18
What about that one who was shot in the Lobby of the Houses of Parliament,ere thingy,they did some things right in the olden days.

eharding
28th May 2009, 23:49
What about that one who was shot in the Lobby of the Houses of Parliament,ere thingy,they did some things right in the olden days.

Beadwindow!

You weren't supposed to post that until *after* the results of the elections on the 6th, and the reaction of the Labour back-bench mafia the following day.

Davaar
29th May 2009, 01:02
You're too far off in Canada to understand what New Labour have done to the old country, Davaar.

You did rather surprise me. All is now explained.

shedhead
29th May 2009, 01:58
The change of title rankled me more than the actual subject of the thread, why was that wording used? OK fine! some views were a bit "little Englander" but the majority could hardly be described as xenophobic. IMHO the Queen is better off avoiding the self important political non-entities that will be there.She should stay at home and let them get on with it and then invite the surviving members of that event round for tea at her place with no politicians allowed.

Davaar
29th May 2009, 02:32
IMHO the Queen is better off avoiding the self important political non-entities that will be there.

One does rather agree. Not one of that sorry lot passes the "NOCD" or "NOOU" tests.

Cheerio
29th May 2009, 09:47
Shedhead, that is a spiffing idea.

If any of her aviating offspring are reading in :} perhaps they could pass that on.....

tony draper
29th May 2009, 10:38
The Queen does not openly involve herself in politics directly, that is a no no,she did get her fingers somewhat burned early in her career by advising the Tory party to select Alec Douglas Home (Hume?)as the future PM, a unelected member of the upper house,the electorate saw things differently at that time,nowadays it's the Sun and the Mirror who select our future leaders not the Monarch.