PDA

View Full Version : GLA Runway upgrade at last

frothy
27th May 2009, 04:06
Tomorrow 28/05 the first runway work will begin(0600hrs). For those familiar with Gladstone on completion the dreaded "hump" will be gone and the length out to 1965m from 1600m, Vasis replaced with Papi and most of the VOR hill gone on climbout on 28.
We can thank the Council for this upgrade as the Feds and State Oxygen thieves( read Pollies) refused any part of the $65m. Take all the revenue from this Region with no return, I suppose an AFL Stadium on the Gold Coast trumps essential Transport Infrastructure.It's OK to use the Airport for the Govt. Jets for Election Spin visits.
Any one coming through here be sure to read Notams as things will be changing possibly daily as the upgrade is being done in 7 stages and there will be some night closures.
A rumour around too on passenger screening at present, jet service pax only, will be on A/c weight and the Q400 will be over that base weight. How are small regional Airports going to carry this increase in staff as well as the infrastructure for one or two flights a day or less:ugh:
It'll be good in the morning to see that first blade go in, at least what is dug out will be replaced with something better, not like Hoxton Park

Frothy

rioncentu
27th May 2009, 04:15
In the paper this morning it discussed the new screening at YEML too.......

VOR hill on cimbout? Huh?

At least you have some hangars at YGLA. Unlike progressive rockvegas.....

frothy
27th May 2009, 05:04
On initial off 28 the hill near the VOR is being used for fill for the runway. The gully to the West needs filling and the Eastern end is being raise a few metres. A good way to get rid of obstacles:ok:

Frothy

rioncentu
27th May 2009, 05:50
I see.

I can't say I have been off 28 that I recall.

Get rid of the BIG pesky hill with the houses off it off 10 !!!!

Jabawocky
27th May 2009, 05:51
Few more hills further west that create great turbulence at times......if you need more material!:ok: