PDA

View Full Version : Fog at CPT

grjplanes
26th May 2009, 13:17
This morning there were diversions to GRJ due to fog at CPT, these were 2 1Time MD83s, 1 SAX CRJ200 and the Airlink ERJ flight from GRJ returned. Also SAX aircraft seemed to have returned to PLZ and ELS.
SAA, Mango, Kulula, BA were all able to land...what is the difference, is it the aircraft, company policy or pilots? Seeing that those that landed were all Boeing 737s mostly, probably A319 here and there, and those that couldn't were MDs and CRJs?

Btw, the one 1Time MD83 (the Pushkin Vodka jet, from DUR originally) seem to have gone technical at GRJ and is still standing here...?

Romeo E.T.
26th May 2009, 14:52
Fog was below CAT1 limits, ie less than 550m vizibility, those aircraft and airlines that were certified for CAT11 and CAT111 operations could land, viz was approx 200m until just short of 10h30.

Comair's aircraft (BA and Kulula) are rated for CAT11 and CAT111 autoland as is the whole SAA fleet (including Mango).....1Time, as far I am aware, is also certified for CAT11 but not CAT111 or autoland, but I stand corrected on this, its one of those rare days when only a CAT111 certifiction could help.

without the capability to do CAT111 Airlink and SAX and 1time had no other option.

the reason why it was mainly B737's is that this is currently the only aircraft being used by the domestic operators....outside of SAX/Link/1time;);););)

porra
26th May 2009, 15:10
"....but I stand corrected on this, its one of those rare days when only a CAT111 certifiction could help..."

No correction needed - RVR was indeed (mostly) below CAT II minimas, only CAT III equipped aircraft could land.

P