PDA

View Full Version : USMC Leadership Lecture Video

sarboy w****r
25th May 2009, 14:51
Hi All,

Does anyone have access to the video of a lecture delivered by a USMC general to an audience of officer trainees? The video I have in mind is shown occasionally at JOCC at Shrivenham, and is of a USMC general talking about what he sees as the pillars of leadership - it's very well done.

I have a lecture to give to some young ATC cadets and thought the video would make a good visual aid.

Thanks,

SBW

Merged
25th May 2009, 18:34
Don't have the video I'm afraid, but the chap in question was General Charles C Krulak speaking to the ACSC at Shrivenham.

Maybe best to call the College of Knowledge direct to get a copy?

Agree that it was inspiring stuff!

Brian Dixon
25th May 2009, 19:05
Does this help?

http://www.drexel.edu/oca/l/tipsheets/THE_FOURTEEN_BASIC_TRAITS_OF_EFFECTIVE_LEADERSHIP.pdf

Brian

sarboy w****r
26th May 2009, 09:25
Thanks very much - apologies to any ACSC attendees who didn't like being described as officer trainees in my earlier post... :)

Cheers,

SBW

flipster
26th May 2009, 19:04
Good stuff, thanks!:D:D

Officers, like all of us, are trainees at the academy of life.

However, far too many of us (self included) sometimes believe we have actually graduated - not so, we are trainees until we die!:ok:

DaveyBoy
26th May 2009, 22:56
That 'fourteen basic traits' thing doesn't do justice to the more inspiring (and very different) speech that he gave to the ASC. There is an electronic copy of the video on the server at Shrivenham; if you give the RAFD admin office a ring someone there might be able to post it to you on a CD or make it available over the internet.

27th May 2009, 07:06
So if all our senior officers get such inspiring leadership chats at staff college, how is it that so many fail to demonstrate said leadership as they climb the greasy pole? Many certainly lose the ability to say no:{

sarboy w****r
27th May 2009, 08:13
I tried, but the speech was apparently given in accordance with Chatham House rules, and recorded for use by JSCSC only (copyright). Hence, sadly, the video is staying on the server at Shriv! That said, a very helpful chap at the college sent me a precis of the salient points.

taxydual
27th May 2009, 08:36
Long shot, I know.

How about asking General Krulak himself. He's now (would you believe) a non-executive board member of Aston Villa Football Club.

Good luck.

sarboy w****r
27th May 2009, 10:57
As requested by others privately I've put together a combination of what I remember from the speech and the info from JSCSC.

The very brief precis below doesn't come close to doing General Krulak justice, sorry.

1. A leader has to be a man or woman of character; this is critical.

2. Character is defined as:

a. Integrity. Gen K gave an example of watching as a young Capt who had just been involved in a very heavy firefight was given follow on orders at an O Gp by his Col. He was shouted down by his Col and went to walk away, but turned around to question what had been said and was promptly relieved of his duties until a Gen who had been listening to the events of the firefight over the radio landed nearby and promptly congratulated said Capt on his bravery in battle. Capt went on to greater things while Col became an also-ran. Some things are just right and some things are just wrong - these don't change, and integrity means having the personal honesty to hold true to these values. Integrity is something that only you truly own, and once you've given your integrity away, it's very difficult to regain it.

b. Selflessness. Gen K described being completely pinned down by an enemy position, which was starting to inflict significant casualties. He then watched a black marine single-handedly charge the length of a rice paddy (v significant distance) to successfully assault the enemy position in full view of the enemy. This was despite the fact that at the time, back in the US, he would have been unable to eat in the same restaurants, travel on the same buses etc as his white colleagues. Nonetheless, they were his brothers in arms, and he decided to put the lives of his colleagues above his own. Leaders put others first. Always.

c. Moral courage. Gen K described being in a heavy firefight very early on in his career. One of his men was shot and he went to his aid. His Gunnery Sergeant Major came over to him and clouted Gen K over the head with his own helmet in order to get him doing what he was paid for (leading from the front) instead of caring for an injured person who could be looked after by medics. The leadership from the front allowed the unit to win the fight. The GSM had the moral courage to do what was right, even though he could have been sent to prison or worse. Sometimes the right decision is very easy to see, but it's very hard to find the courage to carry out. This is moral courage, and your men will respect you for it.

3. Character will see you through the tough decisions and when tough decisions are required, they have to be made.

4. Leaders are in the inspiration business. They take normal people and inspire them to do extraordinary things.

28th May 2009, 07:51
So we need to take a whole raft of Air Rank Officers and send them to do infanteer jobs in Helmand - then when they have learned the difference between leadership and management (especially about putting your men first) we might change the face of the RAF.

I listened to an after dinner speech from an AOC a couple of weeks ago which was the least inspiring (both in delivery and content) I have ever heard.

threeputt
28th May 2009, 10:20
Who was the said AOC? (clues will do).

It's now been a few day's, was it "Scumy" or "Baggers"? I can't believe it was Baggers.
3P:E