PDA

View Full Version : Jurassic Engineers ...

aseanaero
25th May 2009, 14:11
I got a CV today for a project and I was astounded that one of the guys has a CV of over 50 years experience in aircraft engineering.

How many engineers out there that are still working 3 to 5 days a week that started on radial airliners and other pterodactyl technology ?

I know a couple of guys in their late 60's and early 70's still holding down engineering jobs or businesses with CVs going back to the mid 50's !

These old 'rusty spanners' usually have a great sense of humor (I guess you have a develop a sense of humor or go mad) and are always willing to impart knowledge and experience.

How many old blokes still out there and anyone got any good stories of some of the old masters you've worked with ?

Wunwing
25th May 2009, 21:30
Not so surprising when you think about it. Up to the 1960s apprentices started at age 15 which means someone in 2009 with 50 years experience could be 65 and have started work in 1959.

In 1959 the DC3 was still king,all major airlines were still flying DC4s and TAA and Ansett DC6s as well.Qantas still had Connies with the last going about 1964.The RAAF had Neptunes as front line aircraft and received the Caribous in the early 60s.

Wunwing

tipsy2
26th May 2009, 00:19
Good friend started becoming a LAME at Mascot in the mid 30's. That's not a typo, 1930's.

Still waves a mean spanner and yes still flies his own aircraft.

He's forgotten more about structures, engines and maintenance practices than the entire bunch of oxygen thieves at CASA will ever know.

tipsy
:yuk:furball:yuk::yuk:

Nkosi
26th May 2009, 00:42
In 1957 I was inducted into the aircraft world via an apprenticeship in the RN (FAA) where I worked with wide eyed wonder on the following military aircraft types over 12 years service;

Blackburn Wyvern, Supermarine Attacker, Mk1 Gannet, DH Vampire, DH Venom 21, Supermarine Seahawk, DH 110 (Sea Vixen Mk I and II), Supermarine Scimitar, Blackburn Buccaneer and a variety of helicopter types. (The first few types were associated with training, the last few were operational front and second line ship borne squadrons)

After demob I joined the civilian airline world, became a LAME and worked on B737-100/200 and B 727’s initially. After that it was B707’s, F 27-500’s, DC-9’s and A300’s with the occasional DHC 6 thrown in for good luck! Further challenges arose, but in a different capacity to that of a LAME and it was on to the ATR 42, Bombadier (DHC then) dash 8, A320/A340 and B747’s types followed by a passing exposure to B777’s.

Education in GA types as well as modern helicopters were also part of the continual learning process that I have enjoyed and although no longer a practicing LAME I do practice the assessment and analysis skills of the engineering world taught to me by a big hairy assed Chief Petty Officer instructor all those years ago.

In short, I’m 67 now, still actively involved with the aviation world, and have enjoyed most, but not all, of the 52 years that I have been in, around and flown aircraft (The ‘not all’ bit applies to trying to do a delicate or intricate job on the hanger floor when the body wants to give in and go to sleep – usually at about 02.30 and flying a light aircraft in the murk when the cloud base has closed in front as well as behind you!) – what a great game we are part of!

Cheers

Nkosi

aseanaero
26th May 2009, 03:28
Bloody brilliant , hat's off to you guys

What was the best and worst aircraft to work on in your experiences ?

boeing fixer
26th May 2009, 03:37
Worked with a lot of these guys when I started my apprenticeship just on 40 years ago, still good value even today and I agree, hats off to all of them because they taught us everything we know today.

aseanaero
26th May 2009, 03:45
I had a couple of 'old masters' come up to Indo for a few weeks and the Indos can't get their head around it , an engineer with 50 yrs experience , the Indos usually have their chests puffed out with 20 yrs experience, so they were literally staring wide eyed at these guys the whole time.

-

Nkosi
26th May 2009, 06:49
Hmm, that’s a hard one as most aircraft types have their own idiosyncrasies, with good and bad mixed in together.

I can remember trying to do an engine change on a Supermarine Scimitar in the hangar of an aircraft carrier under way in heavy seas and wondering if ever I would get that last bloody engine bearer bolt in with the aircraft not moving on it's oleos in sink with the ship – and with another hairy assed Chief wondering "whether you were having a kip" in the dark hole of the engine bay!

On the other hand getting a group of like minded guys together who were always trying to outdo ‘the other shift’ in bolting on a fifth engine pod between #2 engine and the fuselage on a B707 that was in transit (to allow the engine to be transported and overhauled elsewhere) – then watching the oncoming pax as they saw sweating, but pumped guys who had just done the other shifts ‘record’ like a dogs dinner – and wondering why they had an extra engine on the left wing (before aerobridges)! Or changing a (cold) APU on a B727 using a bunch of Zulu's who sang in harmony as they lifted and shifted the unit out and did the same with the new one going in, also on a transit!

So it really comes down, certainly when I was a practicing LAME and supervisor, to working together as a team and backing up your mate, not only with technical support but with good humour.

Enough from me

Nkosi

TwoTango
26th May 2009, 13:59
Still waves a mean spanner and yes still flies his own aircraft.
Sounds a lot like AW who was a fixture at Hoxton until it shut last year. What he doesn't know about Beeches (well, singles anyway, don't know how acquainted he was with the twins) probably isn't worth knowing.

If I have half as much energy and soundness of mind when I hit mid-eighties, I'll be cheering. Absolutely top bloke.

TT

tipsy2
27th May 2009, 01:30
That's him TT. Apart from a 'cold' he is his usual self.

Just wish he would write a book about his 'experiences'

tipsy
:yuk:furball:yuk::yuk:

FMU
27th May 2009, 11:59
JT3 Vpods! Ah memories!!!