PDA

View Full Version : A320_What can go wrong will go wrong!

Flyman35
24th May 2009, 05:10
A320_What can go wrong will go wrong!

Let’s assume we have the following scenario:
1-Crusing at FL 360 some where.
2-we lost all Electric power sources including the APU.
3- Both engines are running.
4-we have smoke in the. Cockpit with fuel vapour.

Questions:
1-QRH SMOKE/FUMES/AVNCS SMOKE page 1.07 : it states LAND ASAP ,then some procedures ,then IF REQUIRED CREW OXY MASKS ON ßshouldn’t be the first thing we do, just want to know your opinions.
2-QRH 1.06 SMOKE/FUMES REMOVAL:
-EMER EXIT LIGHT…….ON
·If fuel vapors (which is our case)
-pack 1+2 …………..OFF
Now how could you close pack 2 with EMER GEN when it is stated in QRH page 1.01 that pack valve 2 Closure is Inop in EMER GEN configuration or BAT supply only?

hetfield
24th May 2009, 08:00
1-Crusing at FL 360 some where.
2-we lost all Electric power sources including the APU.
3- Both engines are running.
4-we have smoke in the. Cockpit with fuel vapour.
5-one wing fell off

despegue
24th May 2009, 08:19
seems like a Sabena SIM scenario...:eek:

Torque2
24th May 2009, 09:09
Not nit picking the response but does the scenario not suggest that Emerg Elec Config has automatically been established due to losing ALL sources including APU?

Torque2
24th May 2009, 21:06
No problem and I agree its a very unlikely scenario, however knowing the 'bus, someone somewhere will now prove us wrong.

autoflight
24th May 2009, 23:19
Things I have either heard of or experienced myself:
Double FMGC failure just outside radar coverage on european airway
Dispatch with one rad alt u/s, other failed at start of takeoff roll
Double rad alt failure in flight

batman123
25th May 2009, 07:06
best would be to descend to FL100 and go to nearest airport under a Mayday call(smell fuel?= fuel leak?), open ram air, get lot of fresh air, close all packs and if necessary, slow down to less 200kt, and open a window.

when it doesn't do what you want it to do, get to basics and fly the plane. Get this plane manually and go for visual landing. Jump on the break, and get out of the plane.

hetfield
25th May 2009, 07:12
BTW

What would you do?

You are cruising about 150 NM west of Moscow (Minsk a little closer) and you notice a RED AFT CARGO SMOKE light on the overhead panel.

NO ECAM / MASTER WARNING.

???

Flyman35
25th May 2009, 09:40
You are cruising about 150 NM west of Moscow (Minsk a little closer) and you notice a RED AFT CARGO SMOKE light on the overhead panel.

NO ECAM / MASTER WARNING

I would check first the annunicator to see if MASTER CAUTION is working if it’s working then I will check if the HOT TRIM VALVE and HOT AIR VALVE for the cargo is open or closed because as soon as there is smoke they will colose along with extractor fan, then I would reset the cargo smoke sensor circuite brakers ,finally I would reset the FWC dual reset.and I will not discharg bottles if there is no master caution or ecam.or any physical evidence.that’s my openion.

TyroPicard
26th May 2009, 10:54
Aah, but ... Cargo Smoke warning comes via CIDS directly to the warning light - signal also goes to ECAM. I would believe the warning light ... it is from a reliable dual loop system. Any valve position is a result of the warning, not an indication of smoke/fire!
Dig out FCOM 3 and carry out the abnormal procedure .. fly at max speed to nearest airfield and land!

Flyman 35
then I would reset the cargo smoke sensor circuite brakersSDCU reset is "on ground only" in the QRH.
All your actions indicate that you think the warning is false. Surely a sensible pilot would believe the warning to be true and act accordingly?

kijangnim
26th May 2009, 11:41
Greetings,
Yes it will go wrong, and the statistics will tell you when it will go wrong :}

hetfield
26th May 2009, 15:40
@Flyman35

Yeah, most of your mentioned items we have done, beside FWC Reset.

There was still a uncertainty, so my first officer and me decided to request priority (landing in opposite direction but wind was no factor) and discharged a bottle.

Yeah, at the very end it was a false warning...(luckily).

Flyman35
26th May 2009, 16:05
@hetfield

I think it was the right decision. but did you return to departure or did you land in destination or did you make a diversion.?

Flyman35
26th May 2009, 16:12
@TyroPicard
Thanks for your message.and I agree with you.

Any valve position is a result of the warning, not an indication of smoke/fire is there any
reference for that.

SDCU reset is "on ground only" in the QRH I tried to locate it but couldn't, would you tell me where is it exactly because.

390cruise
26th May 2009, 16:51
During my 12 years on the 320 I have found it to be a reliable machine.

From time to time quite strange warnings have occured, the best result has been achieved by sitting on my hands for a few seconds and reviewing the
warnings generated.

Often during those seconds the warnings just dissapear, if they don't then think wether any ECAM makes sense, then take action.

Keen to use superior experience rather than superior skill.

TyroPicard
26th May 2009, 16:57
Flyman35..
If you were my trainee I would ask you for the reference..... try FCOM 1 ?

hetfield
26th May 2009, 17:18
I think it was the right decision. but did you return to departure or did you land in destination or did you make a diversion.?

@flyman

We were 150 NM west of our destination SVO when it started. After all the brainstorming we got closer and closer to Moscow so Diversion to Minsk wasn't a good idea.

regards