PDA

View Full Version : Marking the Jeppesen during Flight Planning revision

Okavango
23rd May 2009, 14:15
Hi. I'm just about to start plodding through the Bristol GS Flight Planning question bank. Struck me that I might as well highlight all answer references on the charts and approach plates etc as I go. Some advise is don't mark the Jeppesen material at all (which to be honest would be quite hard to do in practice?), and some advise says just don't write anything on them. What is acceptable?

GBB
23rd May 2009, 14:39
I was told (when I did my Bristol brushup) that you can mark but you cant write anything. I guess Im going to find out if its ok when I take my exams in June. :)

Happy Wanderer
23rd May 2009, 15:11
Guys,

Tom at BGS - assuming he's still there - will put you right on this. I suggest you give him or Alex a call, or drop them a line via the BGS Forum. From memory, a liberal use of highlighter pen is ok, but no words as said above.

As with all of the ATPL subjects, the more of the QB you can get through (I did all of it) and the better your memory, the more likely you'll pass.

Good luck anyway.

HW

semmern
23rd May 2009, 23:01
I am just done with my ATPL exams, I passed 13 of 14 on the first try. Would you believe I was one question off in Principles of Flight..lol!
I found the Bristol QB to be absolutely indispensable during my exams. I got through all of it, and I have a reasonably good memory, so I recognised almost all the questions in some subjects. Do still read the questions thoroughly! Some numbers are switched from time to time..for example the (in)famous 15.7% climb gradient question that I bet half the people who have been through Bristol take for granted, only the numbers have been switched about a bit :)

tdk90
24th May 2009, 01:47
Mark away...no writing though..also bear in mind the CAA staff choose 2 Jepp Manuals at random for inspection and give you one of theirs.....so you're odds are good but it's possible you might get another manual for the exam..

Foghorn Leghorn
24th May 2009, 14:10
Like the previous posters have mentioned, you are definitely allowed to highlight points/routes, but you can not write anything. Couple of points to stop your Jepp Manual from being switched in the exam:

a. As soon as you get to your desk, start taking out all the maps you are likely to use. They don't want to have to bother putting all your maps back in the Manual to swap it with theirs!

b. Don't make eye contact with them as they are walking round looking to swap the Manual; look busy!!!!!

Good luck. The exam was quite straight forward.

batman123
24th May 2009, 19:41
Mark away...no writing though..also bear in mind the CAA staff choose 2 Jepp Manuals at random for inspection and give you one of theirs.....so you're odds are good but it's possible you might get another manual for the exam..

ahah, yes considering the pilot shortage, you may find yourself the only one in the class, this is why they have only 2 manual and not 45....

expedite08
24th May 2009, 21:27
And usually the CAA's Jepps have alot more info in them too!

Oh and so do the CAP's! :E