PDA

View Full Version : Training in SPAIN....

overclock25
21st May 2009, 15:38
Hi mates,

After some months of work to get money, I'm planning to finish my project with the IR/ME and the CPL.
I've got the ATPL theory and now I'm oriented to do these courses in Spain....

Now, what about the schools there?!? I've sent many emails and Aerofan and Gestair in Madrid seems to be good.

Any experience, feedback about that?!? Please let me know!! I'm so confused :ugh:

Thank you my friends

Matteo

7574ever
21st May 2009, 21:25
Aerofan and Gestair are in completely different leagues. Visit them and see for yourself, you'll also get to experience Cuatro Vientos airport and its total lack of instrument procedures, just to mention one of its shortfalls.

I, personally, would not recommend training in Spain in general. GA in Spain sucks! Not to talk about the spanish CAA...

overclock25
22nd May 2009, 12:11
Oh thanks!

excluding the UK, I guess the other countries in Europe are in the same, bad situation....for example here in italy most of the fto's are a rubbish!!!

Some people talks well about gestair which is a portuguese fto.....

Any feedback from others?!?

P.S. I know that the alternative solution is to go to the USA but I wanna get directly the JAA licences.....

:ok:

MAXTHRUSTV1
22nd May 2009, 16:18
Hi,

I have just returned from training at Gestair Academy. I completed the ME, MEIR and looking to go back for the CPL. I live in the UK and completed my ATPL exams in the UK. This is not a problem because Gestair is an approved Portugese FTO and they accept the UK ATPL results unlike spain.

I visited a lot of the schools in the UK and i can tell you that Gestair again would be my first choice! The fleet is top notch aircraft are always available and the instruction is second to non.

You will get completed in minimum time and with first time passes as long as you put the work in.

When i was there the other schools are Aero fan which is just dangerous, Aerotech which i dont know much about and Aero Madrid which i heard is in trouble.

Besides the schools over in spain Gestair was better than what i had seen in the UK overall a very professional school with the right attitude i highly recommend them.

Any more info feel free to PM.

Mike

bajadj
22nd May 2009, 17:14
hi MAX, I´m looking to do a JAA CPL and IR in october, I´ve already done the FITS glass cockpit course, do Gestair offer G1000 equipped aircraft??

many thanks bdj.

MAXTHRUSTV1
22nd May 2009, 21:46
Hi Bdj,

Gestair have a fleet of G1000 C172 aircraft also an alsim G1000 and mock up. The ME and MEIR training can be either on a DA42 i think or the PA34 which is what i used.

Mike

tropicalfridge
23rd May 2009, 08:04
When I went through training I really wanted to do it in Spain, not only because it was cheaper and still JAA, but just to live there for a few months. It came to the point that I was warned off by so many people that I finally had to listen to them and did it in the UK.

Mordacai
23rd May 2009, 12:59
Try to do it in the UK if you can. I understand that may be difficult financially, but I believe (my opinion) you will receive better training and you will benefit from it in the long run.

MAXTHRUSTV1
23rd May 2009, 23:26
I have views from both sides. The UK has some good schools but not all of them and the same goes for spain. It all depends where you choose to go in that country. From my personal experience i cant fault the training i received in Spain many of my friends completed in the UK with very established schools and received a lower standard of IFR and commercial teaching than myself.

At the end of the day its your own choice visit the schools and speak to the instructors and you will make up your mind from that.

tropicalfridge
24th May 2009, 06:38
I think its the aviation authority that make the general standard of schools in a country. In the UK you know that the CAA are largely on top of their commercial schools, so while some are better than others, you won't really find a straight out bad one. Plus, the standard required to pass the flight tests will be high and consistent. Feels odd speaking up for the UK CAA, so to balance it out, they are still grossly overpriced and £84 to remove a restriction from an FI rating (one word removed from the license) takes them 3 weeks.

overclock25
25th May 2009, 16:06
It's true my friend :ok:I agrre with you.....and consider the difference in terms of price.

Other suggestion?!?

Please :O:O:O:O:O

tropicalfridge
25th May 2009, 18:59
If you can afford it go to a UK school like Bristol, Bournemouth or Stapleford. If you can't, visit some of the Spanish schools and pick the one that seems best, you have a positive recommendation for one above. Good luck.

7574ever
26th May 2009, 08:02
(one word removed from the license) takes them 3 weeks.

It takes the Spanish CAA 3 months!!! (If you are lucky that is)

It's cheaper though. I'm still going to keep my UK licence.

CRASH TEST
26th May 2009, 21:14
GESTAIR is Spanish, not Portuguese...

MAXTHRUSTV1
26th May 2009, 22:46
Gestair have a school in Madrid and in Portugal but they are an approved Portuguese FTO so they accept UK ATPL theory if they were Spanish this would not happen.