PDA

View Full Version : Advice Request for King Air 300 Single Pilot

MacAir
21st May 2009, 12:28
I've just had that once in a life time chance fall into my lap and I'm looking for a little advice from you all.

I'm currently a CFII, Comm SE/ME Instrument rated with 600TT, 80 Instrument, 50 Complex, 10 ME. I've been offered a job flying a King Air model 300, single pilot, with a 200 hour multi-engine build in a Beech Duchess and then the type rating 300/350 all expenses paid. Certainly an offer I can't just let go by.

I've called the guys at Simuflight in Dallas, TX and asked if someone with my experience would not only have a shot at passing the PIC type rating checkride, but be competent to act as PIC single-pilot safely. I tell my students there's no reason to go up unless you know your skills can get you back down safely so I'm taking my own advice here.

Since I'm well aware of my limited experience at this point, especially in the instrument realm, I'm trying to get a better idea on where my focus should be in that 200 hours building with the Duchess.

The prospective employer is looking to use the aircraft for leisure purposes only and would give me a one week notice prior to any flight. I'd also consider only doing day/night VFR only until I've built up a few years of experience in type. I'm aware that it would be a pretty big leap forward and I want to be as safe as possible.

Thanks for any advice.

Mac

Mercenary Pilot
21st May 2009, 13:31
Since I'm well aware of my limited experience at this point, especially in the instrument realm, I'm trying to get a better idea on where my focus should be in that 200 hours building with the Duchess.Definitely you should concentrate on IFR flying. Do trips that give you lots of variation. Such as flying to/from uncontrolled airfields under IFR, flying to/from busy airports, lots of instrument approaches (preferably in busy airspace), work on cockpit management and (when you get on the Kingair) know your aircraft like the back of your hand especially how to best use the autopilot and FMC to reduce your workload while maintaining Situational Awareness.

I've called the guys at Simuflight in Dallas, TX and asked if someone with my experience would not only have a shot at passing the PIC type rating checkride, but be competent to act as PIC single-pilot safely.There shouldn't be a reason why you cant pass the TR, granted it IS a big step up but the biggest challenge you will face is more down to decision making and command ability. Dont be afraid to go into the hold to give yourself more time and also remember that you dont have to blast around at 230kts everywhere, it will fly slower if you need more time to self brief for an approach say. :ok:

Also, always go in with a "can do" attitude but never do anything too far outside your comfort zone. You will find this zone gets bigger with every flight.

Good Luck, the Beech Kingair is a great aircraft! :)

B2N2
21st May 2009, 17:54
It's nice but a scary prospect also.
They (as in the owner) are going to pay for your 200 hrs ME?
Here are some questions for you:

Is the aircraft insured?
What does the insurance company require as far as time in type or PIC time in type?
How well do you know the owners?
How reliable are they?
Will they try and force you up whenever they get an itch regardless of weather?

Admire you attitude as far as only wanting to fly VFR initially :ok:

bfisk
21st May 2009, 21:21
Go for it! No doubt.

Try to get used to the thought of going IFR all the time. You won't seriously be doing much VFR in the King Air.

WestCoast
22nd May 2009, 23:06
Congrats! Sounds like a great gig. As a fellow King Air 350 Pilot, I would say that it is way easier to handle than the Piper Navajo I used to fly. You have more systems to help you out (Auto Feather, Reverse, excellent engine out performance). The folks at FlightSafety will get you up to speed for sure. Have fun!

MacAir
24th May 2009, 00:20
Thanks guys for all your comments guys. I'm still finding out about the insurance requirements at this time.

Ian the Aviator
10th Jun 2009, 13:47
Sounds like a great job :D and as an FI you should have no problems with the Kingair.
For additional experience I agree you should get as much IMC / IR flying as you can & try to get some practice with failures (asymetric, partial panel, etc) as I found it always sharpens the skills - anyone can fly on a good day with everything working !

Of course, if you dont want to fly single crew I would be happy to FO or Capt for you...... :)