PDA

View Full Version : 'So you want to be a Pilot?' New edition available from GAPAN

Flying Lawyer
21st May 2009, 07:15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Aviation/GAPANbanner_600.jpg

So you want to be a Pilot
Flying As A Career
Professional Pilot Training

The new edition is now available.

The very popular original booklet has been updated for 2009 by a group of very experienced pilots.
It covers topics from the qualities required of a potential applicant to selection/training for both military and civilian pilots.

Free from the GAPAN office and from the Guild Stand at exhibitions.

Mail
If you want a copy sent to you:
Send a stamped self addressed A4 envelope (marked SYWTBAP 2009) toGAPAN
Cobham House
9 Warwick Court
Gray's Inn
London WC1R 5DJ

Stamps: Current (May 2009) UK postal rates are 1st class £1.24 and 2nd class £1.04.

Download
The booklet is also available for download in pdf format.
It's quite a big file - 80 pages - 2.4MB
Link: SYWTBAP - GAPAN (http://www.gapan.org/career-matters/careers-information/sywtbap/)

Tudor Owen

BigGrecian
21st May 2009, 22:16
Two points disappoint me.

One
It is generally accepted that the better route to becoming a
professional pilot is by way of an integrated training course

I work at a JAA Modular FTO - and we have Integrated graduates - who are knocking on the door for jobs as instructors - whilst our students staff move onto airlines.
Also nowadays more students graduate from modular courses than integrated; and there are many structured modular courses available.
Would have been better to say the more common route is "modular"

Two:

Their pay scales are way off for an average FO/SO or FI position.
Way above what the average is!
Just ask around and you'll see - or ppjn.com !

potkettleblack
22nd May 2009, 08:23
And as for the graph of the worldwide pilot shortage...........

Gee that is just stuff being spouted by FTO's and aircraft manufacturers and other people with vested interests. Sure they may have a need for pilots in India as just one example. BUT as their local CAA has plans to kick out expats then that means there are ZERO opportunities for anyone from this part of the world unless they have a local passport. Now I would hazard a guess and say that the average readership of GAPAN is UK based and lacking an Indian passport hence the table is really meaningless and irrelevant.

Flying Lawyer
4th Jun 2009, 22:51
It's inevitable that some people will disagree with some points in the book - I'd be very surprised if everyone agreed with everything said in any such publication.

However, the previous edition was widely recognised as the best and most objective guide available to aspiring professional pilots and I've no doubt the updated version will be equally valuable reading for anyone with an ambition to enter the profession.

FL

clanger32
5th Jun 2009, 11:38
Have to agree with flying lawyer....the pages of PPRuNe should be enough in themselves to show that it would be nigh on impossible to produce a document that everyone agreed fully with!

Big Grecian....without wishing to cast any comment at all on the validity of the sentiment, which is the authors prerogative, the statement was that integrated is generally perceived as a better way....different thing entirely than "which way most people do it". Not sure whether you wanted to query the validity of the statement, or simply -as you stated - show that modular is the more popular route..

I would fully agree that mod represents the majority of new fATPLs.

SW1
5th Jun 2009, 13:58
Noticed the PPRUNE fund under funding! Whats that about?

Fake Sealion
9th Jun 2009, 15:13
Anyone know if GAPAN are being represented at AeroExpo Wycombe this coming weelend?