PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a flight school for INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS (FAA)

Aerocadet
21st May 2009, 05:55
Good day!

I am planning to do my training in USA perhaps in CA or FL. But before that I would like to know regarding "proper" recognition of the schools that I have in my list. These are surely mandatory for those schools to accept foreign students:

1. The authority to issue the I-20 forms for the M-1 visa
2. The TSA approval

I have not seen any international student section in some websites. But when I inquire through e-mail they are saying that they are able to issue the I-20 forms. Some flight schools just says that TSA approval is the only thing needed.

Is there any way to find out if the school REALLY issues the I-20 forms?

Is the SEVIS approval or recognition important in choosing a flight school in the USA?

Can anyone please shed light on this matter?

Thank you! ;)

wis3384
21st May 2009, 10:39
well recently 61 flight schools and barely new 141 flight schools that they dont have the eligibility to train international students,...are tryin to bring students on somebodies else visa....which is called ILLEGAL pilot training and vulnerable for that school to close permanetly ....

the most secure way for you to know that the school is legite....is have a school that is accredited ....which means that been in business along time and they are regulated by a regulatory body...and it will insure you that they are legitie ....quality...and reputable school....

just beware of schools that have fleets in their website and on ground they have 4 or 5 aircrafts

good luck

Airbus Girl
21st May 2009, 18:08
The CAA used to have the list on their website, although it was fairly well hidden if I recall. But somewhere they had a list of all foreign approved schools and their status.

chongololo
21st May 2009, 19:11
Ask the school to show you a copy of their certification allowing them to process visas. If they don't want to do that for you then you shouldn't go there.
Please remember the golden rule, don't pay large sums of money in advance.
Good luck.

cypilot77
22nd May 2009, 03:20
Contact Global Aviation Corp. in New York. Very professional people and they will help you in anything you need. Their website is WWW.MYGLOBALAVIATION.COM (http://www.MYGLOBALAVIATION.COM)
Sent an email to John (owner). He is a european citizen and very very helpful. He will tell you exactly what to do. His email is [email protected]

Aerocadet
25th May 2009, 09:06
Good day!

How about the SEVIS-approved flight schools?

Is it important to make sure that a flight school is SEVIS-approved? When a school is approved, that means they can issue the I-20 forms?

Thanks.

:cool:

wis3384
26th May 2009, 01:15
for you to enter the states you have to have i20 for the school your entering to ...and on the visa it will state the name of the school that issued you a visa...

please make sure that the school your going to is stated on the visa on your passport...coz small mickey mouse flight schools uses other entities to have visa and bring students to their flight schools and its a big NONO:ugh: you will risk everything !!

and propreties of a school having Sevis approval...usually 141 flight school and provin more than 10 year in business :cool:

BHenderson
26th May 2009, 20:52
The way schools get around needing their own SEVIS approval is to become a campus of another school with such an approval. There is nothing wrong with this arrangement at all. That's how universities and the like operate. In order to obtain SEVIS approval the school must run a part 141 course. The campus system allows the student to participate in a part 61 course.

wis3384
27th May 2009, 14:06
BHenderson

i dont agree with you 100%
the campus system is illegal ...to have an m1 you have to maintain fulltime attendance at the school that issued you the visa...
and that wat exaclty the small flight schools do to piggy back on the universities to acquire international students...and its just matter of time ..where ICE will be on their door steps :):mad:

selfin
27th May 2009, 20:26
ICE is barely capable of interpreting its own rules in this context. There is a degree of arbitrary rule at play (situation normal!)

See International Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) (http://www.ice.gov/sevis/map/approvedschoolsmap.htm) for a list of SEVP-certificated ("established") institutions.

And the FAA's pilot school locator for cross-checking: Federal Aviation Administration - Pilot Schools (http://av-info.faa.gov/PilotSchool.asp)

bryan1978
30th May 2009, 04:53
Riverside Flight Center in Tulsa OK is a approved part 141 school. There are a lot of Indian, Sri Lankan and European students. They provide you with houseing and transportation to the school. Check it out.

captainvampire
3rd Jun 2009, 19:25
Contact Flights Inc Academy. in Denver. Very professional people and they will help you in anything you need. Their website is
Flights Inc. - Flight Training and Aircraft Rental (http://www.flights-inc.com/Academy.asp)
Sent an email to Carl (Director). He is a British Citizen and very very helpful. He will tell you exactly what to do. Good luck

:ok: