PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL Re-Issue and Reval Muddle

NickGooseBrady
20th May 2009, 09:48
Dear All,

Any useful advice on the following problem would be most welcome!

I have a JAR PPL that needed re-issuing before 10/09/2008. Unfortunately due to various reasons I have failed to do this. Brilliant.

On same PPL my certificate of revaildation expired on 13/03/2009. In the 12 months prior to this date (and prior to 10/09/2008) I have flown 12 hours including 1 hour with an instructor (night rating).

What are my next steps? I need a new certificate of revalidation but on a new issued PPL. Can I get the re-issue before the certificate of reval or should I get that signature first (backdated to 13/03/2009) before getting the re-issue. Can I get a re-issue done without an indate certificate of reval?

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation!

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

NGB

Cusco
20th May 2009, 11:06
Ring CAA/FCL?

Cusco

S-Works
20th May 2009, 11:07
You can get the licence reissued regardless of the status of the class rating. You just can't fly until you have revalidate the class rating which will require an LPC regardless of the fact that you met the requirements to revalidate by experience.

Send your money to the CAA, get your licence re-issued and then find an examiner to do the LPC.

BEagle
20th May 2009, 11:25
Correct - the only thing which must be valid when you submit your application for licence re-issue is a JAA Class 2 medical.

You will need to renew (not revalidate) your SEP Class Rating either before or after you receive the licence by flying a renewal LST with an Authorised Examiner.

This is not the full PPL Skill Test, but will include some pilot navigation, the extent of which is at the Examiner's discretion.

Send http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg1102ff.pdf and http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg1187%20revised%20feb%2009.pdf to the CAA. Of course if you do your SEP Class Rating renewal first, you can send your http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg1119ff.pdf to them at the same time and save yourself a stamp!

There is absolutely no need to ring the CAA! If you do, they will, quite rightly, probably just tell you to read LASORS.

NickGooseBrady
20th May 2009, 12:33
Thank you very much for the useful replies. BEagle, many thanks.

Quick question - I have flown well in excess of 12 hours - why do I have to have a flight test with an examiner (renew as oppose revalidate).

Cheers

NGB

Brooklands
20th May 2009, 12:44
I have flown well in excess of 12 hours - why do I have to have a flight test with an examiner (renew as oppose revalidate)

Because you failed to revalidate your rating before it expired. Once it epxires the only option open to you is to renew it, irrespective of how many hours you may have flown in the previous 12 months.

Brooklands

julian_storey
20th May 2009, 12:53
Because you failed to revalidate your rating before it expired. Once it epxires the only option open to you is to renew it, irrespective of how many hours you may have flown in the previous 12 months.

Absolutely correct.

Because you met the requirements to revalidate your class rating on the basis of experience you COULD have simply found an examiner and got him to check your logbook and sign your Certificate of Revalidation, eliminating the need for a flight with an examiner - but this is no longer possible because your rating has expired.

NickGooseBrady
20th May 2009, 12:56
Fair one, I did indeed fail to get it sorted, bloody Afghanistan and that getting in the way.

Having just read LASORS Section F I am now spammed up to the full. Yet more expense and bureacracy, great.

NGB