PDA

View Full Version : Landing on Burj Al Arab / Menara Telekom

Helipad Consultant
20th May 2009, 01:33
Hello All,

I am in the business of consulting and permitting for heliports. I always try to take into consideration the pilot’s comments on the design because they are the end user. I am currently gathering information about landing on high-rise buildings.

I am interested in dialoguing with any pilot who has landed on the Burj Al-Arab in the UAE or the Menara Telekom tower in Malaysia. Any information you can write about takeoff, landing, wind conditions, or the heliport lighting; and anything that should have been done differently or you think was done right regarding these two heliports would be very helpful.

I would like to know about the good, the bad, and the ugly.

paco
20th May 2009, 02:33
I'm pretty sure they didn't ask pilots when they built the Burj pad!

HeliDubai are the only people who land there - talk to Barry Smith

Phil

spinwing
20th May 2009, 03:13
Mmmmm ....

..... HeliDubai are the only people who land there

Not strictly true Phil, ..... I've landed on the Burj Al Arab pad (and I came up from that place down the road from Dubai :} ).

With regard operations to Elevated pads of that kind .... I would suggest contacting the relevant Civil Aviation Authorities in whichever countries you are consulting with to obtain their local heli-pad requirements which may be more prescriptive that those suggested by ICAO.

he1iaviator
22nd May 2009, 07:06
In the case of the Telekom office building (Menara Rebung?), which looks a bit like the Burj, I think you will find that not many pilots have landed there. I believe that the helipad maximum design load is such that there are not many twins light enough to land on it. Single engine rooftop landings are not permitted in Malaysia.
http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v157/baqthier/telekom1.jpg

Ned-Air2Air
22nd May 2009, 07:12
So let me get this right, they build a helipad that cant take the weight of the majority of light twins there, smallest I have seen is an EC135 - biggest soon to be AW139, and yet single engine ops arent allowed.

Methinks someones logic ended up flawed in that process. :)

flyer43
22nd May 2009, 08:15
But that's similar to how they used to "plan" the helideck designs for offshore installations not so long ago!
"Now let me see, where shall we stick the helideck? Not much space over there, but we're not using it for much else, so that will do!"

paco
22nd May 2009, 14:23
OK, OK - they're the only people who tend to land there :)

Phil