View Full Version : Help! There's a strange hole in my flower bed...

Radar66
19th May 2009, 20:08
Does anybody know what kind of animal or insect would make the hole/tunnel pictured below?

This is a bed that is perhaps 6ft by 3ft and 2.5ft deep that stands on a concrete base (which covers our entire courtyard area, including under the gravel etc) and is surrounded by hamstone walls. I have completely and totally cleared out this bed, scraping out all the weeds and rubbish, and then laid a base of rubble and gravel drainage before filling it about 1.5 - 2ft deep with a mixture of newly purchased 'clean' topsoil and compost.

Then this hole appeared?!! I filled it up and the next day it was re-excavated again. The only thing that I THINK it could be is a frog that we've seen around occasionally, despite having no water in the immediate area. The hole is heavens knows how deep/long and probably roughly a scant inch in diameter.

Any suggestions? :confused:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/pprune%20pics/holewitharrow.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/pprune%20pics/Holecloseup.jpg

con-pilot
19th May 2009, 20:12
Could be a mole, but in any case, don't stick your hand in there to find out. :uhoh:

Blues&twos
19th May 2009, 20:15
Might be rats. We've got a raised flower bed and have similar holes of similar diimensions. Only ours have rats coming out of them.

If you don't think the holes are big enough for rats, two weeks ago several of us stood and watched from a friend's kitchen as a rat squeezed itself up through the gap where the corners of four patio paving slabs met...very impressive. And quite entertaining as it wasn't our house.

er340790
19th May 2009, 20:17
Could it be Nigel in Oz digging his way home???? :}

Um... lifting...
19th May 2009, 20:18
Blues&twos
Won't be entertaining for long (neighbor or no)... the d*mned things (rats) are just about born fertile, have compressible skeletons for the sorts of exercises you mention, will chew through almost anything to get where they wish to go (which is in), multiply, infest, repeat. Get that sucker exterminated post haste.

Paracab
19th May 2009, 20:19
Another vote for a rat from me. Very similair holes appeared in my chicken run and compost heap, which just happened to coincide with me shooting several large rats. They haven't been back. Yet.... :E

tony draper
19th May 2009, 20:20
Funnel Web Spider?:uhoh:

visibility3miles
19th May 2009, 20:23
Do you have any friends with ferrets to find the phantom?

Low Flier
19th May 2009, 20:24
Classic rat-hole.

Buy a pot of rat poison ('bout 6 from Tesco) Pour a third of the pot into the hole every second evening. Repeat in ten days if necessary.

Seemples.

Checkboard
19th May 2009, 20:28
Can guarantee it's not a Funnel Web :E

A Buddhist wouldn't care!

A Gardener, knowing how deep the bed is, might be tempted to dig and sieve to find out.

You could wait until SBT is old enough to dig whatever it is out herself!

tony draper
19th May 2009, 20:41
Rat poison is not advised when yer have a pup scuttling round the place.:=

tinpis
19th May 2009, 20:41
One wonders if the thing wot made the mystery hole in me shower curtain, has surfaced in Zummerzet? :uhoh:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/DSC01503.jpg

tony draper
19th May 2009, 20:44
That were either a focused beam of sunlight from a shaving mirror Captain Tin or a message from the crop circle makers.
:)

Paracab
19th May 2009, 20:45
Good point from drapes. Said poison should be stuffed into a short piece of drain pipe and left nearby. Either that, or shoot the feckers like I do, hugely entertaining and visible results.

G-CPTN
19th May 2009, 21:05
Seems a touch small for a rat but it could be meeces (the sort that live outdoors, not howsemeeces).
If you want to judge whether it be meece or rats, get some 'bait' (in view of the pup start with something non poisonous such as bacon) and wrap it in strong wire and anchor it to a ground-spike. Neighbour did it with a parcel of ratpoison and a spike 1inch square and a foot long. The rats shifted it and took the bait down into their nest (and have continued to 'consume' as much industrial rat-poison as he can get hold of).
Although you could 'self-medicate' I advise (once you have judged the size of the creature) getting the professionals involved. Your local authority might do it for free - though more likely will refer you to 'rentokil' or some similar firm.

Sprogget
19th May 2009, 21:09
Someone's flat burnt down round here last week because of a shaving mirror & a sunny day.:uhoh:

Anyway, it's obvious what's caused the hole in the garden; as ever, the clue is in the picture.

It's a stray red arrow.

macdee
19th May 2009, 21:10
Could be a miner bird /!! Maybe a toad, not a frog, in the hole.?

Hard hat, pick and shovel - on my way!

ArthurR
19th May 2009, 21:11
Radar66, anybody near you flying Hunters, go ask for some IPN (Isopopilnitrate starter fluid) poor it down the hole and leave it, do not set fire to it, wont go out, mono fuel, but works with most creatures.

not sure if I spelt IPN correct, but it will do, worked well on everything when I was in Oman....

N707ZS
19th May 2009, 21:17
Mice or voles, you need a cat.

If you can observe the hole from a window you should see something during the day as long as you sit long enough and keep quite. A nice warm day and they will come out.

Bate up a nipper and see what gets cut in half!

G-CPTN
19th May 2009, 21:17
South Somerset District Council - Pest Control (http://www.southsomerset.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=582)

BlooMoo
19th May 2009, 21:20
Does anybody know what kind of animal or insect would make the hole/tunnel pictured below?

I'm with Low Flier - Kill Them NOW. Here's a cross-ref for ID purposes in case you come across carcasses after you lay down the poison...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2008/09/02/brownblears2222222.jpg

G-CPTN
19th May 2009, 21:48
This is a bed that stands on a concrete base (which covers our entire courtyard area, including under the gravel etc) and is surrounded by hamstone walls. I have completely and totally cleared out this bed, scraping out all the weeds and rubbish, and then laid a base of rubble and gravel drainage before filling it about 1.5 - 2ft deep with a mixture of newly purchased 'clean' topsoil and compost.
Unlikely to be connected to the sewers, but an opportunist rat might have established a satellite colony in the rubble base.
If you can get a hosepipe down the hole to judge the extent, then you could pour whatever noxious liquid you have available using a funnel. Petrol might do or bleach (but a cunning creature might have a horizontal section to the access).
If it's 'just' meeces then the traditional little-nipper trap should solve the problem. If it's rats then they will need something 'stronger'. Of course you could buy the king-size version - but 'weather' it first (and wear 'rubber' gloves to set the trap - rats are cautious animals and will avoid new objects in their environment) - avoid the temptation to move it for at least two weeks to allow the animals to get used to it.
If you 'dust' the area surrounding the hole with flour you might get footprints or trails that should give you some idea of the scale of the creature. Perhaps you could lay a sheet of polythene (with a hole in it for the entrance of course) to refine the flour technique.

Radar66
19th May 2009, 21:51
okay okay - if it is a rat, even allowing for their compressed skeletons et al, wouldn't the hole be bigger in very soft light earth? the earth hasn't really had a chance to compress yet...

Mice... could be - then I don't have a problem with that at all - especially if they are field mice. :)

Not convinced that it is a mole as it hasn't created a 'hill' or other evidence of tunnelling.

Not certain that I want to use poison at this stage - [1] cos of the pup and [2] it isn't yet certain what it is. I'll see if i can rig up some sort of wire cage trap over the hole to trap the mystery animal - I'm afraid that I am not going to waste time staring at earth for however long! Not with a hyperactive chew machine around! :O

There doesn't appear to be any other damage in the surrounding area or in the garden bar those pesky slugs.

Wholigan
19th May 2009, 21:53
We have a garden bar???

:E

22 Degree Halo
19th May 2009, 21:53
Ants - and lots of them:ok: Let nature do its thang

Radar66
19th May 2009, 21:57
errrr.... yersh we do Wholi... :O

(don't anybody DARE fekking tell him where the reserve cellar is!!)
:E
Ants? Hmmm...

Nah... I don't think so. Cleared and exterminated an ant's nest when I excavated that bed and there was no similar entry - just a teeming mass of ants in the area. Also havent' seen a single ant near that hole.

con-pilot
19th May 2009, 21:59
There doesn't appear to be any other damage in the surrounding area or in the garden bar those pesky slugs.

Slugs are easy to get rid of, make a depression in the ground the same size of a small shallow bowl, set the bowl into the depression so the slugs will easily crawl into it, fill with beer. Slugs love beer, unfortunately for the slug, beer kills them. Or they get drunk and drown. Either way it gets rid of them.

Oh, if you use this method you need to stand guard to prevent any passing pilots from jumping the fence to drink the beer. :p

Radar66
19th May 2009, 22:01
Doing and done that Connie! :ok:

Also got a load of these:

http://www.trapman.co.uk/slugx-trap-details.jpg

BlooMoo
19th May 2009, 22:04
If you 'dust' the area surrounding the hole with flour you might get footprints or trails that should give you some idea of the scale of the creature. Perhaps you could lay a sheet of polythene (with a hole in it for the entrance of course) to refine the flour technique.

F*ck the Greenpeace approach. Think Chamberlain. It's not a mole, it's not a wee moosy. You have rats. Kill them now. Kill ALL of them NOW. Kill, KILL, KILL!. Don't say down the line you weren't warned.

Slugs:}:}:} Think calibre and you're back on track.

GrumpyOldFart
19th May 2009, 22:12
Radz - I reckon it's Styfarter having you on, by poking one leg of his Zimmer frame into the flower bed.

G-CPTN
19th May 2009, 22:13
Rats in 'earth' will make a hole 40mm (1 inches) in diameter, so smaller rodents are indicated IMO.

If you 'wet' the earth around the hole you will get a more accurate indication than if the soil is dry and crumbly.

ChristiaanJ
19th May 2009, 22:19
We have toads, we have frogs, we have mice, we have rats, yet never seen a hole like that in our veggie patch, or anywhere elsewhere in the garden.
So no help there.

On the other hand, very interested in you anti slug/snail thingie, never seen that before. Tell me more? We just feed them the usual blue pellets, but after having those for dinner, they still eat too much of the other stuff...

CJ

N707ZS
19th May 2009, 22:21
Green approach, you can buy mice frindly traps made of plastic with a little trap door. You then have to take them out into the countryside or to someone you don't like and release them.

If its rats don't forget viles or is it wiles disease a nasty from rat pee!

Radar66
19th May 2009, 22:25
ChristiaanJ...

All details HERE (http://www.trapman.co.uk/slug-and-snail-trap-slugx.htm) - and it really works! :ok:

Have seen a HUGE reduction in the numbers of the slimey little blighters since we've put a few of those around, plus the good old jam jars sunk into the earth system. Yes, there are a few die hard ones that still make a beeline for me runner beans but they just provide amusement for my nightly mass murding salt raid! ;)

G-CPTN
19th May 2009, 22:30
I'll see if i can rig up some sort of wire cage trap over the hole to trap the mystery animal
I cannot imagine how to construct a wire cage trap that would work yet prevent the escape of a mouse. Rats are 'too cunning' to be fooled IMO.
You might succeed with a proprietary 'humane' trap. The Danes have one that uses a seesaw that flips back up after the mouse has reached the bait (which is visible behind a metal mesh).
Perhaps a milk-bottle buried upright in the ground alongside the hole might 'trap' a mouse. Wedge a piece of cheese or bacon in the neck (use a cocktail stick or sticks) so that the rodent is tempted to enter and when it consumes some then it falls in.

henry crun
19th May 2009, 22:38
The hole is a scant 1 inch in diameter.

If the people who say it is rats are correct, then there must be very skinny rats in Zummerzet.

BlooMoo
19th May 2009, 22:40
Perhaps a milk-bottle buried upright in the ground alongside the hole might 'trap' a mouse. Wedge a piece of cheese or bacon in the neck (use a cocktail stick or sticks) so that the rodent is tempted to enter and when it consumes some then it falls in.

Sometimes one can 'over-engineer' a course of action, when a far simpler one is actually staring one in the face.

Radar66
19th May 2009, 22:54
I was hoping that all the mini 'clods' of earth surrounding the hole that looked as though it has been either dug or pushed out might be a clue?

:confused:

G-CPTN
19th May 2009, 23:01
A schoolmaster used to address us as 'clodclumping clodpoles' . . .
. . . might be one of those?

GrumpyOldFart
19th May 2009, 23:29
Could be subsidence caused by a hitherto unknown potnoodle mine which has strayed all the way under the Bristle Channel.

parabellum
20th May 2009, 00:17
I was hoping that all the mini 'clods' of earth surrounding the hole that looked as though it has been either dug or pushed out might be a clue?

I think you may be right, you are lookig for a creature that gathers up the spoil from it's dig and then ejects it in 'clods', does that sound like rats? Not any that am familiar with, what about a vole?

hellsbrink
20th May 2009, 06:48
Mice or voles, you need a cat.

In this case, I disagree. Best cure for them things is a Jack Russel.

Radz, I'm sure you know someone who has an "active" JackRat, bring that in and if it goes nuts around the hole you know you have to call in the exterminators (would say to let the dog do it's work but it will dig the garden up to get to whatever is down there)

Firestorm
20th May 2009, 07:24
Looks like rats too me. Give Tali a week or two, and she'll have them!

Tercarley
20th May 2009, 08:03
Clearing my woodpile in my garden once I encountered rats coming out of it. My Cavalier King Charles dog ran out to the garden and killed 3 rats before you could say ninepence. Mind you we had never let the said dog be a couch potato. Just as good as a Jack Russell!!!!

henry crun
20th May 2009, 08:31
Firestorm: This question is directed at you only because you happen to be the last of several posts suggesting it is rats.

Let us assume Radz estimation of hole size is fairly accurate at a scant 1 inch, that to me means just under, let us call it 7/8 inch.
Living in a rural enviroment I have seen many rats, adults average body size about 8-inches long and about 2 inches in diameter.

I think I am missing something here unless there is a new type of miniature rat in UK, please tell me how a rat can dig a deep hole just under 1 inch in diameter ?

Gainesy
20th May 2009, 09:15
Looks like a bumble bee's hive entrance to me.

UniFoxOs
20th May 2009, 10:44
Right on, Gainesy, had a couple like this and they were both bees.

Cheers
UFO

Scumbag O'Riley
20th May 2009, 10:50
Had rats in me compost heaps recently (no more!), the holes they made were at least an inch wide, certainly larger than the ones in the picture. Although one is of the opinion that we share the planet with the other beasts, and rats per se are not a problem if they live away from the house, they started scoffing the compost heap worms. That was a fatal error on their part and resulted in their swift demise.

green granite
20th May 2009, 10:58
It could also be a wasp's nest as they do nest in the ground sometimes.

sprocket
20th May 2009, 11:12
I'd be doing a head count in the bed first. Some fiend may have plucked one of yer 'rose-anthenems'.

frostbite
20th May 2009, 12:03
I suggest that on inserting a finger in that hole, a ring-pull will be discovered.

When pulled it will prove to be attached to a door which will open, revealing a hitherto secret hiding place for Morris Dancers paraphernalia and perhaps other lesser known addictions.

HuntandFish
20th May 2009, 14:01
I favour chocolate spread for rats . Smear thinly over something solid near the hole . They love it and stay quite still while trying to lick it off . Perfect target

ShyTorque
20th May 2009, 14:01
Or, even worse - it might be this lot:

YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK8nk-TUJM0&feature=related)

G-CPTN
20th May 2009, 14:22
If it is, in fact, a Bumble Bee nest (seems plausible BTW) then it shouldn't take too long keeping watch before you see the bee emerging (or entering) - especially if the sun is shining.
I agree that it would be a shame to destroy a potential colony of (bumble) bees.
Maybe field mice should be spared too (at least until September when they might decide to decamp and move inside. Stuffing scraps of newspaper loosely in the hole would probably be 'taken inside' by field mice to use as bedding material.
I still recommend using the flour method (maybe surround the hole with tiles or pieces of glass and dust with flour) to see if any trails are left. You don't need to sit there all day - just check back now and then.

GroundedSLF
20th May 2009, 14:27
Hosepipe down the hole - turn on for an hour - problem sorted.

frostbite
20th May 2009, 14:30
I would opt for the bumble bee explanation also.

If that is the case then you are extremely fortunate, having resident pollinators for your plants. If wasps then you are considerably less fortunate.

cockney steve
20th May 2009, 14:46
half a pint of petrol in an old detergent squeeze-bottle.......squirt it down the hole.......shove something over the hole (or a shovel of earth)

The fumes kill rats,mice,moles, voles,wasps, bumble-bees and just about any pest which has legs....you already know how to render the legless......legless:}

after a few days, the petrol will have evaporated, leaving no long-term damage. 9and the corpses will make good organic compost.:)

airship
20th May 2009, 15:06
Why make a mountain out of (a possible) mole-hill...?!

As a regular, you would have known that your original enquiry would have immediately attracted all those whose only responses would be the equivalent of complete and total global nuclear warfare...?!

So why do it? The 'hole' in your garden-bed could be easily explained away as the result of a visit from your local pervert who likes masturbating into the the mother earth. Seriously, if you're going to take the advice of those advocating 'total chemical and biological warfare' against suspected terrorists disguised as moles or rats, then please get in touch with your GP or Special Branch before you go too far????! :ugh:

passy777
20th May 2009, 15:29
The 'hole' in your garden-bed could be easily explained away as the result of a visit from your local pervert who likes masturbating into the the mother earth

Hmmmm..... Now that conjures up an image but the above suggestion has just saved me a few bob.

I am about to replace some plants (others destroyed by invading moggies - see my 'Cats' post) and I was about to purchase something to make a suitable hole in the soil to place said plants - problem solved - or so I thought.

Only problem is, having read the instructions accompanying the plants, it is suggested that they should be planted to a depth of over six inches - Bugger!:uhoh:

Radar66
20th May 2009, 15:57
As a regular, you would have known that your original enquiry would have immediately attracted all those whose only responses would be the equivalent of complete and total global nuclear warfare...?!

So why do it? The 'hole' in your garden-bed could be easily explained away as the result of a visit from your local pervert who likes masturbating into the the mother earth.

aaah... but unlike most down here in the PPRuNe mire that is JetBlast Airship, I actually have the nous to sort out the wheat from the chaff, the funny from the serious, the informative from the pee takes, and the freaks from the scum. Hells Bells man, I'm even marrying a pilot!! :)

Since your mind immediately went below the belt as it were, I wonder which group I should file you under? ;)

I did it because I know that there is a wide ranging scope of differing interests and knowledge here that - gasp! - actually extends beyond aviation, and sure enough, I've acquired several plausible suggestions as to the creator of the hole and, if necessary, the extermination methods.

Therefore, as a result, I'm now sitting with my tin foil hat on, wearing kevlar, holding a can of inflammable rocket fuel in one hand, a bunsen burner in the other hand, covered in flour and chocolate spread, rigging up an infrared night vision camera whilst the new puppy is dining on rat poison before I send her out onto the streets to flog my slug traps. After all, this is the only way to deal with a hole in my flower bed that is under an inch wide, isn't it Airship? Or do you unfortunately need a hole that is less than an inch wide? :hmm:

:p ;)

Keep the suggestions coming everybody - I'm, in reality, monitoring and observing my little hole... :ok:

VitaminGee
20th May 2009, 16:11
Nobody say a word!!:}

Radar66
20th May 2009, 16:21
Just gimme a chocolate brownie and I'll back down... :ok:

or a Penguin biscuit, or a Magnum ice cream, or a Big Feast ice cream, or a Galaxy bar, or a Thornton's Vienneise truffle, or a Lindt dark chilli chocolate bar, or a pile of profiteroles, or, or, or, or.... :{

RatherBeFlying
20th May 2009, 16:29
Borrow neighbor's moggie and take to hole. If mog takes great interest in hanging about and sticking in paw, then meeces. If signs of fear, time for Jack Rat.

If total lack of interest, bumblebee or wasp nest. I would consider both beneficial, but come the Fall the wasps can't find any more juicy garden pests to eat and start going where they're not welcome;)

LordGrumpy
20th May 2009, 16:43
Rats.
The exhaust smoke of a petrol powered garden tool; has been known to drive em out. Jack Russell is your friend if you want a picture, JR hound, if combat is the order of the day

Radar66
20th May 2009, 16:44
I'm hoping that it's bumblebees as I've recently seen quite a few around here! :)

hellsbrink
20th May 2009, 16:46
Just gimme a chocolate brownie and I'll back down... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gifGive me one of them things and I'll behave.......

OFSO
20th May 2009, 16:58
About three years ago on our mountainside, a hole appeared, maybe 8" across, rocks and plants pushed aside from below, no sign of a dirt mound as if something had been burrowing to get in, more like something had come out. Buster Baggins looked at it very dubiously and wouldn't go near it at night.

No answer to that one.

BlooMoo
20th May 2009, 17:26
Au contraire...

http://www.legendsofhorror.org/images/critters/critters.jpg

Wholigan
20th May 2009, 18:38
Just for interest Radz, we have Masonry Bees in the rear wall, so it's just vaguely possible you could have seen them, although they do look different.

masonry bees (http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/MASONRY_BEES.htm)

I am not worried about them undermining the structure as the walls are at least 3 feet thick!

(PS - do I need a bigger hole Radz???)

G-CPTN
20th May 2009, 19:02
Do they wear aprons?

Wholigan
20th May 2009, 19:12
Haven't noticed that but they do have funny handshakes .................

Tercarley
20th May 2009, 19:47
Christian J

Did you know that those little blue pellets that you put out for slugs and snails attract birds and they not only eat them, but they take them to the nest and feed them to their young. I think the organic method ais better with the beer traps - at least the slugs and snails die happy!!!

Is there any need to adapt this scorched earth policy on mice, voles, moles, ants , frogs and if they are not near the house cant even the rats be left in peace. Some of the method of disposal of the said animals and insects do sound as though counselling is needed by the correspondents!!!!

BlooMoo
20th May 2009, 20:54
Is there any need to adapt this scorched earth policy on mice, voles, moles, ants , frogs and if they are not near the house cant even the rats be left in peace.

Rats:confused: No. Not ever. Never.

Mice - good for dissection in biology classes

Voles - good for dissection in biology classes so pupils can compare against meeces

Moles - One of the most pointless creatures ever evolved. Keep the pressure up and they will hopefully become extinct. Sorted. (Extra good for dissection in biology classes as they look a bit like Peter Mandelson)

Ants - Smaller than Sparrows, so f*ck 'em. (c) God.

Frogs - See above re. dissection. Maybe worth keeping a small contained colony of frogs in a 'secure environment' so that biology classes can continue to watch in awe as tadpoles become, well... frogs. OK cool for a while, but once they become frogs then best to just kill 'em - but save a few for breeding purposes as required (see above) untill there's a Wii game ($29.99) that simulates frog evolution. Then just kill the f*ckers.

PS - I'd adapt the policy only if it made it more efficient at killing the f*ckers.

visibility3miles
20th May 2009, 21:28
Post 60 on Page three by Radar 66:

That's one of the funniest erudite rants I've read in a long time.

Is the puppy an airedale or rat terrier perchance? If so, by all means forego the poison and say, "Playtime!"

Give the little nipper something to look forward to.

Press on regardless with posting without going postal if PPRuNeRs haven't the wherewithal to help with the hole earth denizen.

visibility3miles
20th May 2009, 22:17
Lest I forget, once you've determined it's something you want rid of, try dropping some dry ice pellets down the hole. Cold carbon dioxide is heavier than air, and will put whatever to sleep with no need to yell, "Fire in the hole!"

Argon is heavier than air also, but too expensive unless it's Argonauts you're after.

Radar66
21st May 2009, 00:25
Thank you V3M! :O

I can inform my advisors, that whilst watering the bed earlier on before sunset, I closed the hole again more by mistake than anything else with the displaced wet earth.

Having just recently returned from my slugs and snails nightly mass murdering spree I can inform you all that whatever animal/insect it is, it is nocturnal. I saw zero activity today and the hole was re-excavated sometime between nightfall and now.

The Border Terrier pup showed no interest whatsover, but she is still barely two months old... :bored:

hellsbrink
21st May 2009, 04:30
Napalm the effer

oldshuck
21st May 2009, 10:39
When I was a spogget we used to insert "penny bangers" into said mouses holes that worked. Having said that this was in the days when penny bangers actually had a lot more bang for your money !

lexxity
21st May 2009, 17:30
Ah yes, Moles.

Once arrived at the Parents House to find Father stood on the lawn. Aiming a 12 bore down a mole hill.

sprocket
21st May 2009, 19:50
Any sign of volcanic activity in your area? :uhoh:

ShyTorque
21st May 2009, 21:13
It's only a frog. Leave it alone and it will eat the slugs for you.

ShyTorque
21st May 2009, 21:19
Ah yes, Moles.

Once arrived at the Parents House to find Father stood on the lawn. Aiming a 12 bore down a mole hill.

Is your father Jasper Carrott?

YouTube - Jasper Carrott - The Mole - Animated (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas)

piggybank
22nd May 2009, 01:01
In my garden it would be lizards, they dig holes quite regularly. The big ones, "tokay" stay in my house and ornament the walls. Get rid of one and another one comes along, so I just leave them alone.

Radar66
22nd May 2009, 08:14
Yesterday showed the hole to 'Mr Muscle' who promptly put his finger down it! :uhoh:

Then followed it down to the length of his arm up to his elbow. He then packed it all in tightly with the displaced earth. He went off to lunch and I carried on with my chores (mainly playing with pup!) and sometime during that hour it reappeared - conclusion? an 'animal' that can dig/burrow really rather quickly in reasonably soft and light earth.

Packed it back in and by nightfall it had reappeared. Neither of us have seen anything come in and out of it, but mice seems to be the leading culprits we think!

so - will purchase a mousetrap after we get back from the weekend and see if we can catch one of them to see if it is mice, and what type of mice. Field mice can stay, grey mice will be exterminated!

would love it to be a lizard, but not many of those here in Somerset.

tony draper
22nd May 2009, 08:26
There is a one in Cornwall,one has sailed past it on numerous occasions.:)

Blacksheep
22nd May 2009, 12:48
Confucious he say:
"Hole in flower bed much better than flower bed in :ooh:"

Lightning Mate
22nd May 2009, 13:59
Confucious him also say:
He who laughs last only just seen joke.

Sod, thread drift again......

frostbite
22nd May 2009, 14:33
Studying the gullibility index for your part of the UK leads me to the conclusion that the Tooth Fairy has moved in.

cockney steve
22nd May 2009, 14:48
I think you wicked people are sabotaging a Hobbit's escape tunnel

OFSO
22nd May 2009, 15:57
I think you wicked people are sabotaging a Hobbit's escape tunnel

More worrying to think is what could the Hobbit be escaping from ? If it's a Balrog you could get the sausages ready to grill.....

I think you might have a mutant humble bee there.

airship
22nd May 2009, 16:09
I completely forgot to accommodate Radar66's and the average Englishman's standpoint when it comes to defending his home / castle, whether or not it's merely a 2 up / 2 down...?! :}

Nah, may one simply beseech that a 0.5km asteroid strikes down on in the environs of Radar66 in my (and the moles' lifetimes).

I can almost hear the moles: "Crawl down into our hole, before it's too late!" "No, not ass-first, you idiot!"- That '70s show...

DX Wombat
22nd May 2009, 22:15
It's one of the air vents for TNFHs' secret, underground, nuclear (newkewlar if you are Dubya) bunker. ;)

macdee
29th May 2009, 19:45
Did you discover the occupants of your 'hole' - after setting your traps for it/them? I still reckon a toad . Puzzling innit!

macdee

Juliet Sierra Papa
29th May 2009, 20:22
It could be a Scorpion or a Snake or maybe something to do with that Large Hadron Thingy :bored:

JSP

S'land
3rd Jun 2009, 17:15
Is there any news as to what is causing the hole?

Radar66
3rd Jun 2009, 18:27
Noooooo! :{

It stayed closed after the last assault on it. Am now on the lookout for other supicious holes in case the mysterious hole-maker has relocated...

I personally think that it is either one of the two frogs that we have seen, or a mouse.

Rossian
3rd Jun 2009, 18:31
S'land

I think they got distracted a tad over the w/e and it all got put on the back burner of a (non-gas) barbecue.
Some people have got NO concerns for the efforts that others have put into solving this mystery and comming up with solutions to the problem.
Did they go out and rent an infra-red webcam - did they Hell?
Did they sit up all night motionless and in utter silence watching the hole? Did they Hell.
No, they went about their selfish celebrations of somebody's birthday with nary a thought for the agonies of concern that you and I were going through.
Some people..........
One is tempted to think unkind thoughts but one won't.
The Ancient Mariner

Actually, I think Fos kept filling the hole in and now that he's away there will be a subterranean rumble and .............

Radar66
3rd Jun 2009, 18:41
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

........................>>>>>>>>>:uhoh:

V2-OMG!
4th Jun 2009, 03:40
I say knock down and flatten the flower garden, get some rolls of insta-turf delivered, buy a putter and........VOILA!

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21796710/366147321.jpg

visibility3miles
4th Jun 2009, 05:19
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-gnome.jpg

It's a gnome -- not an hobbit!

Now you have to name him... :)

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Jun 2009, 08:49
Ani fule no it's a 15' black mamba.

OFSO
4th Jun 2009, 10:05
Spare me your tales of miniature holes.

Yesterday afternoon there was a thump which shook the house. I thought a car had bumped our stone front wall, so went out to look. Buster, my elderly cat (of great sensibility and intelligence) was peering through the side gate, down our mountain path, with a look of horror on his face, as if the Devil was there in person. Stupidly I didn't go to see what he was looking at but checked our roadside wall, saw nothing, and came back indoors to the Limerick thread.

This morning I looked down our path and saw a boulder resting on it. Went down to check it out and found it had been thrust up from underneath on the mountainside and rolled over onto the path. Just managed to lift it up (a both-hands job) and put it back where it had come from. Didn't look into the hole underneath it. Didn't put my hand in, either.

Don't be silly, of COURSE there was no smell of sulphur and brimstone !

Live here long enough and acceptence replaces inquiry in one's mind.

R

V2-OMG!
4th Jun 2009, 22:45
I have another opinion, but since I'm regularly told I don't know my azz from a hole in the ground.....
I will defer. :(

max1
5th Jun 2009, 04:36
By the look on that gnomes face I think he is an owner/operator on the job.

If you want carbon dioxide, the top of a beer between the liquid and the cap is actually carbon dioxide which is added at the brewery to stop the beer frothing up at the bottling stage.
(Love the James Boags brewery tour in Tasmania.)

Take a carton out to the garden. Open beer gently, allow the CO2 in the top to waft into said hole. Drink beer. Repeat. Eventually you won't care what is in the hole.
You can invite the neighbours around to help and return the favour if a mysterious hole appears in their garden.
If you feel like a beer you can just make a hole.

BlueDiamond
5th Jun 2009, 05:57
Now you have to name him... There are plenty of suitable names out there for a boy gnome ... try one of these.

Gnathaniel
Gnorman
Gnoel
Gnathan
Gned
Gneil
Gneville
Gnicholas
Gnigel
Gnorbert

If you fancy something historical, you could go for Gnapoleon or Gnelson or if your taste runs to the biblical, how about Gnoah. :E

S'land
5th Jun 2009, 10:43
How about calling him Genome?

Radar66
5th Jun 2009, 10:55
We already have a gnome... but I can't remember his name. Maybe the PPRune Ground Force Team could refresh my memory? :)

He's only a wee little sleepy thing - so not on my list of suspects.

frostbite
5th Jun 2009, 12:07
Shirley has to be Elvish?

(Especially after all those beers)

visibility3miles
5th Jun 2009, 14:50
Prooners gathered at a garden party wondering about the nocturnal denizens of the deep:

http://www.makojo.com/The%20Book%20Toad/Alice%20in%20Wonderland.jpg

Edited to add a wider cast of characters.

G-CPTN
18th Jun 2009, 08:29
Any conclusion?
I think we should be told.

Radar66
18th Jun 2009, 08:35
Nope! Hole's never reappeared, but... I CAN tell you that I have seen field mice and 2 different types of frogs in the garden so can only assume that it must be one of them. :)

V3M.... I think I should be told how you managed to gain access to my personal photograph album of the previous bashes that we had here! ;)

Standard Noise
18th Jun 2009, 11:27
Or it could be the Greater Crested SKOTAS burying his 25yo malt supplies in readiness for winter.

Oh hang on, don't let that one get round or you'll have a herd of Prooners all digging up your flowerbed looking for the water of life!:}