PDA

View Full Version : Procedural practice on PC......

buggingout
19th May 2009, 19:31
Can anyone advise on the best way to practice procedural flying on a home PC?

I want to re-validate my IR but it's been a while so I could do with practising at home first. Really could do with practising.......

Thanks

Mikehotel152
19th May 2009, 20:19
Have you got your old IR notes? I would suggest re-learning them and practising on RANTXL, as I've always found Flightsim rubbish for IR flying. Having said that, some of the add-ons are good quality and might be worth considering.

In addition, I would have thought a sim session with an IR instructor before the actual test might be worth considering.

I've not had to revalidate mine yet, so others may have much better advice.

And best of luck! :ok:

irishone
19th May 2009, 20:48
Rant is the be all and end all. Totally brillant. I have an old version but still good. I found it much better than flight sim for the IR.

I have to renew in August and that's what I'll be doing them some sim time. Amazing how quickly you forget!

ReverseFlight
20th May 2009, 06:43
I found practising on my FS useful and I am re-flying all my training sequences by way of revision before my renewal. Your school will probably put you through a couple of sim sessions and actual IFR flights to get you right up to speed before your re-validation.:ok:

The radio patter is a different matter though - the PC can't help you there and you'll have to re-run that in your mind separately.

INNflight
20th May 2009, 07:44
I agree that flight sim can help you a bit. Pick a Beech Baron (or any other aircraft that is close to what you fly in) and do some manual flying, interceptions, holdings, hand flown ILSs etc...

While I agree it does not really come close to the real thing it helps you with certain things like

instrument scan
which holding entries to fly
reading charts & flying at the same time
thinking about MDAs, memory items etc...

Not bad imho, I keep doing one or two approaches every two or three days to stay fit.

buggingout
21st May 2009, 17:14
Cheers for your help, I wasn't going to use in place of sim time more as a reminder. Fortunately for once in my life I took good IR notes!!

I used to have RANT but I'll buy a new copy and get stuck in :O

Thanks