PDA

View Full Version : BMI - wifi and mobile not just yet...

forbesy
19th May 2009, 10:16
Just got a response back from BMI PR - I recall some time back on their website they indicated they were testing A320s for cellphone and wifi coverage (about the time Ryanair were trumpeting it). It all went a bit quiet, so I thought I'd ask.

No time soon, it appears - if (rather than when?) they purchase new aircraft, they'll look into it again. Makes sense.

I can confirm that, following trials, we are not planning on installing systems to allow mobiles to be used onboard, nor offer WIFI access. This is however something we will consider upon purchasing new aircraft in the future.

Bus429
20th May 2009, 06:17
...and a good thing, too. Even though the crew can control the system, the thought of several people jabbering and texting - although the systems with which I'm familiar cannot handle many calls at once - fills me with horror. Keep the aircraft as one of the few refuges from this blight.

starbag
20th May 2009, 12:00
The On-Air system was fitted to one A320 G-MIDO which normally was put on the LHR-DME route (although operated others) for about 6 months. The system was set up to only allow text messaging (no voice calls).

Atlantean1963
20th May 2009, 13:26
Starbag,

you beat me to it - I flew LHR-DME on a BMI A320 (don't know which one) in January, and on that flight you could certainly text message - but the system was only enabled once outside of UK airspace.

Best Regards,

Atlantean.

forbesy
20th May 2009, 14:45
I think BMI, when they finally do get around to purchasing some new aircraft (in LH livery?) would be missing a trick if they didn't pitch it as wifi for business, as part of their whole "quality" offering, rather than trying to compete with low-cost carriers such as Ryanair which I can only see being used as a novelty rather than for any real business need ("I'M ON THE PLANE, YES, I MIGHT LOSE YOU SINCE WE'RE GOING THROUGH THE CLOUDS..." etc).
Plus a jabber-free cabin (whether economy or up at the front) is, as Bus429 says, a welcome refuge, even only for 1-hour long flights. Wifi though would be useful for those of us with crackberries or a pressing need to check or send email on the laptop.

starbag
20th May 2009, 16:18
The system automatically activated (from memory) at 25,000 ft so heading east out of LHR towards DME the system would have activated out of UK airspace. However, the system does work in UK airspace, and was used on longer domestic sectors. The system was capable of handling voice calls if the appropriate button was pressed on the control panel.