PDA

View Full Version : Proportion of military vs civvy SAR?

drugsdontwork
18th May 2009, 15:22
Hi,

Trying to get info on, globally, what the rough proportions are of civvy vs miltary SAR helicopters. No agenda other than interested in pros/cons of transferring to civvy from mil. Any pointers appreciated, thanks.

Spanish Waltzer
18th May 2009, 19:15
drugs....I think I get it..........you're crab@ in disguise looking for a job :cool:

drugsdontwork
18th May 2009, 21:38
im really not.

19th May 2009, 07:36
No, I would have spelled military correctly viz miltary:):)

Drugs - you are not alone looking at jumping ship, plenty of those in the UKSARF are unhappy with the way things are going - mostly due to a reluctance to fight our corner and man us fully. Instead we will see a gradual compromise of SAR cover in the UK as we move to a flight by flight manning of the FI leaving the donor flight on 12 hour shifts.

Where is the sense in manning the FI fully (where there are few SAR jobs but PJHQ want helicopters) at the cost of denuding UKSAR cover? And people wonder why morale is low in the SARF - it's because we want to do our job properly but have to deal with motorised goalposts all the time.

Cabe LeCutter
20th May 2009, 01:30
Come on Crab, get off the fence, say what you really mean. I take it you are not looking for a civy job or to stay in the military for very long then.:ok:

Head down, look out for the flack

Ned-Air2Air
20th May 2009, 03:41
NZ - SAR assets here are primarily provided by the RNZAF Hueys with the Auckland and Wellington BK117s used locally.

Australia - I know they have SAR S76s on the various air bases to support fast jet ops but apart from that I think its primarily QES in Queensland and VicPol in Victoria (those in the know will correct this).

South Africa - Military through and through apart from some Red Cross machines down the bottom bit.

Canada - I think its primarily Air Force with their Vertols and Cormorants.

Thats my two cents worth. :)

Ned

Turkeyslapper
20th May 2009, 05:04
Australia, in addition:

Most SAR (not for military) is provided by combined SAR/EMS bases around Australia ie

NSW ambulance aircraft (CHC), CareFlight, Energex, etc etc Stand to be corrected.

Often it will be one aircraft configured for both roles...has pros and cons!

Turkey